Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTPI backend system to be updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Capwell

Did the NTA change the API production URL in the last 2 days or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

The GTFS-R endpoint has been up and down a lot over the past few days. Some days it's been gone for 2hrs or longer. I've tried emailing the NTA numerous times but can't get a response from anyone. Here are some uptime stats so you can see how bad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I take it the API is still pretty basic in what it provides currently? It's a shame the NTA aren't making more use of the features available through using GTFS. Doesn't help that Dublin buses own API has now stopped showing the vehicle reference, which has been "broken" for some months now. Was handy for seeing what buses were operating a given service.

Does anyone here have any contacts in the NTA? The outages are still ongoing and I can't elicit a response from anyone in the organisation through any of the contacts that I had previously used before.

"https://api.nationaltransport.ie/gtfsr/v1?format=json HTTP/1.1"

Shortly after I made the comment on the 28th Jan, I switched to the URL above. Been working fine ever since. There's no indication on the site about the change, i.e. the why and when. Strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Got a GoAhead bus the other day (first bus I've got in 2 years) and despite the TFI app showing "realtime" for the service, it was showing as being 10 minutes up the road from where it really was. As a result when it didn't show at my stop and disappeared off the app, I assumed it wasn't running and wandered off to another stop to get a different route. Only then did the first bus show up and I had to sprint back to get on it.

How does this happen - either the bus is being tracked in which case the system knows where it is; or it isn't in which case it usually shows the timetabled departures but shouldn't display "realtime" on the app (I checked Next Bus Dublin as well and it was showing the same incorrect info).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Sometimes the system will only be showing the scheduled times (despite flashing real time) - it’s a glitch that happens every so often for some reason (no idea why).

If I’m in the scenario that you describe I generally try to check the physical location of the bus on the map on the TFI app - working back along the route.

That bit is generally always right.

What's really frustrating is that the NTA still haven't made the physical location available in their GTFS-R data. It's only available in their proprietary app that uses their own private API. I would love to be able to show this data in the Next Bus app as it's much more helpful than an often-wrong time estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

for some reason that map setting was turned off in my app, didn't even realise it was available.

(is it just me, or does it only work if you zoom right in on the map?)

It’s a handy tool and one they don’t push too much.

It generally works, and once you know where the bus is you can decide what to do.

You do need to zoom in a little and give them a moment longer to load.

In my own case my main bus route can frequently get stuck in traffic immediately having left the terminus and prior to a certain point, and thereby means that the predictive times might be unreliable due to varying traffic conditions.

But if I watch the bus on the map, I can wait until it has passed a point on the route from where it tends to move freely and still allow me time to get to the stop.

The issue you experienced is that the GPS was not linking to the predictive stop-to-stop running times and hence was displaying the scheduled running times. Now as to why that was happening, I’ve no idea, but it happens to both operators every so often, and more than it should lately.

• Advertisement

It's off by default, presumably due to it using up more data/app resources I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I was waiting for a GoAhead service last week. It disappeared from the app and never came. The return service then showed up on the app with 'trip cancelled' in red letters. Previously I asked GoAhead about this feature and they said this would be happening for 'operational reasons', whatever that means.

Speaking of Go-ahead services, the 17 I just got disappeared off the real-time while I was waiting for it (as usually is the case with the 17). But if you checked the map, you could still see that the bus was being tracked on the route, albeit 10 minutes delayed. If the vehicle location can show the correct delay, why doesn't this propagate over to the realtime page?

That’s the issue that I mentioned above where the predictive stop-by-stop schedule isn’t linking to the bus GPS and it just defaults to the schedule.

It has been happening far too often of late.

No driver, presumably, to cover the trip, so the service is cancelled, or partially cancelled (either before or after where a driver change is due to take place) if “stop cancelled” is shown in red.

It is happening to both operators lately due to driver shortages.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Email sent out to developers registered with NTAs GTFS API today, with some (I imagine highly requested) features being added.

Some other stuff mentioned:

This upgrade is also intended to provide a platform from which further improvements can be delivered in the not-too-distant future such as real time information on the status of lifts and escalators at travel stations.

A new version of the GTFS static schedule will be generated from the same platform that provisions the new Open APIs. It is important that each process that uses the new upgraded API is consistent in using the new version of the GTFS static schedule. Similarly, processes that use the old version of the API must use the old version of the GTFS static schedule. Mixed use of old and new will produce unpredictable results as the internal keys used on the new platform are not guaranteed to be the same as those used on the old

According to the email, the general release is planned to be delivered 3rd quarter 2022, with the UAT links made available within the next 2-3 weeks. The UAT will be pointed to a test environment, so no live updates.

Edit: Here's a more in depth article on the changes -

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I hope that the new project to upgrade RTPI makes everyone use the same source and has the ability to show more details, because we still have the situation where the TFI App seems to be able to show details that the screens and the DB app can't.

Do we know if there is any movement with actually getting Dublin Bus to either kick their own app into the long grass or actually ensure that it contains information about services that have been curtailed or cancelled and to make the screens actually show when a bus is terminating short?

At the moment you have the situation where Dublin Bus are continuing to tell people to use their own app for the most accurate information on their services rather than the TFI app which is really not credible when the DB app still lacks the ability to show services that are cancelled or terminating short.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What does the Dublin Bus app currently show that the TFI app doesn't?

It’s the other way around - the TFI app shows far more info - curtailments, cancellations, map showing live bus positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think we can rest assured that no updates will bring an end to the great tradition of the ghost bus that exists only on bus stop displays

• Advertisement

One thing I noticed in Belfast was that on their equivalent of rtpi displays, if a service is cancelled, it shows up as "9a -Trip Cancelled - 19:27" or something of the sort. Something they should really implement in Dublin(/Ireland in general)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In my experience, the TFI app shows phantom buses that the bus stop displays have filtered out, very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Which app shows the live bus positions? I remember it used to available on the Journey Planner app but seems to be gone now. I've never seen it on the Real Time app.

Select the map on the TFI real time app and click on the three vertical dots and there’s an option to show live vehicle positions.

You do need to zoom in a bit to see them and they load after the stops.

The same applies to the map on the real time section of the TFI Journey Planner app.

They are clearer to see on the Real Time app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Don't suppose anyone has any updates on this ? Got the original email but no more word on the new endpoints coming active yet

So this is more to do with the Dublin Bus API, but I noticed today that the VehicleRef field is now being populated again! Been broken for I'd say at least a year at this stage.

Just received an email update on the new version of the GTFS API. V2 is due to go live on the 22nd!

On Wednesday 22nd February the NTA will publish a new set of real time APIs from the NTA developer portal. These will be an upgrade to the current functionality provided for GTFS-Realtime API developers. You have been included in this communication as a current subscriber to this service.

There will be a transition period where the existing API endpoints will continue to be available for use. This will enable a gradual shift from old to new. However, it is advisable to make the changeover to the new APIs in good time since there is a risk that data quality supplied to the old endpoints will start to fall away some 4 to 6 weeks after the go live date (22nd February). The replaced APIs will be discontinued at the end of this period.

The additions for this release are as follows:

This upgrade will enhance the current open API provision to expand the level of real time information made available and increase the quality of such updates. The most significant improvements will be:

In addition to the current API providing real time updates, the following two new APIs will be available:

-To provide vehicle location information – covers location and congestion levels

-To obtain static GTFS schedules – it is currently possible to get schedule information as a download from the NTA open data page. This API will support greater automation to retrieve the most up to date static GTFS schedule. It will still be possible to get planned schedules as a NTA open data page download.

Currently real time updates are provided only for Dublin Bus, Bus Éireann and GoAhead bus services. Information will now also be offered for Luas and Iarnród Éireann.

This upgrade is also intended to provide a platform from which further improvements can be delivered in the not-too-distant future such as real-time information on the status of lifts and escalators at train stations.

There will be further updates later in the week at the following link, according to the email:

Post edited by p_haugh on

Nevermind, the launch has been postponed

As mentioned in previous communications, we were due to go-live with the new TFI Live GTFS-R API this morning, 22nd February 2023.

Unfortunately, an issue was identified yesterday with the underlying infrastructure that resulted in degraded system performance, and we have taken the decision to postpone the launch of the new GTFS-R API until this issue has been resolved to our satisfaction. The existing GTFS-R API will continue to function as normal – this was not affected by the issue identified.

The new GTFS-R API will be launched in the coming weeks. We will follow up with an exact timeline as soon as we have more detail.

Has anyone been playing with this since it went live. I've updated my software and the main changes are not that big for me, the stop_code being the most significant one. However, I'm having trouble with the StopTimeEvent. The only ones that seem to mean anything are those with arrival.time > 0. But then the arrival.delay is always 0. Also the arrival.time varies quite a bit as compared to the scheduled departure time. My test results don't agree with the new TFI app in some cases but they do agree with my old system. Is there a problem with the data or is a new interpretation of the StopTimeEvent required?

• Advertisement

A further comment / update on my last post. It seems that, in my new solution, I need to explicitly check for the stop_id (as well as the trip_id) in the real time feed to match up the feed properly with the static schedule data. For some reason I didn't need to do that in the previous version. I didn't spot this sooner because I had an error in my logging. The comment about the arrival.time greater than zero looks like a red herring. I have more testing to do but it looks like my results are now matching the TFI app. I also need to figure out the reason for the difference between the old and the new versions

Advertisement