Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a course

Options
  • 22-08-2002 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

Im doing a japanese course in trinners soon. Someone else sign up, there are only four in the class so far. Closing date for aceptance is September 13th.

BTW, if anyone did the same course, is it any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

How long, how many hours, how much? etc. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

They do the same courses in Limerick, cheaper too.

Trouble is do I stay in a Sh1t city called Limerick.
    Or an even shi1tter City called Dublin
    Or do you just move to Japan 4 a year?

A little info on Asian Oriental studies

The Euro-Asia Centre at the College of Business of the University of Limerick has been established to undertake research-based evaluation of the interaction between Asia and Europe in the context of an increasingly globalised world economy, and to foster academic linkages between Europe and Asia.

http://www.ul.ie/eac/

Professor Bernadette Andréosso-O'Callaghan,
    Director, Euro-Asia Centre
    Tel: +353-61-202204
    Fax: +353-61-202572
    E-mail: bernadette.andreosso@ul.ie

Dr Wei Qian
    Post Doctoral Fellow
    Tel: +353-61 -202928
    Fax: +353-61-202572
    E-mail:Wei.Qian@ul.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Lex, any info online about the course? I've heard about it before, but I've never had time to apply (it's supposed to be good).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Theres one in Cork in the College of Commerce aswell , Im thinking of doing it though I have my plate full with the LC as it stands , how hard is Japaneese though ? Its sounds fairly complex , but Ive heard its actually not as hard as french/german/etc. less Nouns and such. anyone know anything about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

From what little Japanese I've learnt, the language itself isn't that hard to learn. If you can get used to the syntax, you shouldn't have a problem. The written pictograms however, are much harder to learn, especially kanji (the main Japanese alphabet). Check out JarJar's topic on this board for more info on kanji.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Well Ill give it a crack then , Leaving Cert or no . At three classes a week it proabably isnt that heavy anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Well, I'm either gonna end up in Cork..or hopefully, Abartay Dundee Scotland. Either way, I hope to do a course in Japanese. That one in the college of commerce is open to anyone, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Kairo
    Well, I'm either gonna end up in Cork..or hopefully, Abartay Dundee Scotland. Either way, I hope to do a course in Japanese. That one in the college of commerce is open to anyone, right?

Open to anyone, you might have to have a Leaving Cert or Junior Cert to take the course, i'm not sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Keep on Trekin

€320

Thursdays, 6.30p.m. - 8.30p.m.,
    for twenty-four weeks

Is this a certificate or recognised qualification?
    Has anyone heard of the other Japanese Proficient Tests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I'm pretty sure I'll be doing this course. I havent signed up for it yet, tough...
    I love japanese things, so this should be perfect for me ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Why in the bluest of blue hells would you want to learn japanese??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I dont think you get a recognised qualification or anything. In fact, you will probably still be really weak at the language after the course. It just lays the groundwork for those who are going over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

UCC were meant to be doing an evening course in Japanese too but it was canceled. I'm still on their mailing list so if it becomes available again I'll go for it.

I'll probably sign up for the college of commerce course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Do you reckon there is a test at the end of it?
    My friend did japanese for the leaving cert (he used to live in Australia and that was the language he chose to learn in school). He had flash cards of the kanji characters made out so he could study and there were bloody millions of them.
    Quite a daunting prospect.

Can this forum use J -Characters?

お二人とも元気にしてるかい?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

Sounds like a good course but seen as i got school i cant go ,would have realy like to and all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I've signed up for the course this week... Getting a postal order for €320 was pretty painful :(

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it... should be good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by BJJ
    お二人とも元気にしてるかい?

The pointless of waiting throught the hard-disk crunching of IE changing from ISO to Japanese Characters, when you can't even blooming read them. :rolleyes:

Looks interesting though. Was going to learn Japanese but will probably go for Chinese instead (have a Taiwanese friend).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Just wondering how the course is going for everyone who signed up. I was thinking of giveing it a go when enrolement for it starts up again. I'm slowly learning Japanese from a book but I just want something a little more intense. Books or Tapes on the subject don't hold my attention for long :(

So is it worth the time and money?

Advertisement