Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the legal age for smoking be lowered?

Options
  • 28-11-2005 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Should the smoking age be lowered? 5 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    WexCan[Deleted User]MimikyuKersmashmasti123 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

No the age was only increased recently to 18 about 4/5 years ago iirc. It maskes sense as far as i'm concerned. It has been generally accepted that once one reaches 18 they are an adult. As such adults have the right to determine how the live their lives, whether the engage in harmful or potentially harmfull things is their business. Anyone under the age of 18 is a child and does not have that right. The law was changed to reflect this. So in terms of smoking i disagree, but i do agree that the age we deem someone an adult should be changed, with any corrosponding laws changed with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

You're only saying that because you're a child.

I don't mean that in a bad way but in three or four years time when you can legally waltz into a shop and splutter the words "twenty blue please" and the novelty you probably still feel about smoking has worn off, ask yourself that question again...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think it's OK as it is. If any minors want to smoke, they'll still be able to get them, just like they can get alcohol. It just makes it more awkward for them and maybe less will bother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Thinking back to when I started smoking (~15), I half-think I might have quit if they'd set the minimum age to 18 at the time (as opposed to 16)... I'm not sure I would have been bothered trying to get older people to buy them for me every time I wanted a pack.
    There again, it probably wouldn't have been a problem for me considering how relaxed about smoking my family is.
    But if a higher smoking age stops someone from starting this life of addiction, then I'm all for it.
    Although isn't there the danger of making smoking seem even more of an adult/mature/mad thing to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭cil_aine

in the uk it's 16, and theyre thinking of increasing it. more people can get away with buying them. some of my friends were buying them at 13 and 14, and could easily get away with it. i think though it is a good idea to keep it at 18 over here, except when i came over i'd usually have to go without for a long time. not too bothered anymore though now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement