Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godzilla vs. Kong [2021]

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    a movie with plastic characters where monsters fight has only worked perfectly once and that was in Pacific Rim , if anything the ropey acting almost adds to the enjoyment as it was such a B movie albeit with a huge budget , Edris Elba being the exception in terms of a passable performance

Thats harsh, I thought the acting in Pacific Rim was pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Thats harsh, I thought the acting in Pacific Rim was pretty decent.

i love that movie , the ropey acting didnt take from it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Effects were incredible, but everything else about this was pure drivel.

I get that most people are going to watch a movie like this for the action scenes, but they could have spent more than 5 minutes on the plot and script.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Will it be released on 3D BluRay?

Or just pancake?

Actually the 3D theater release sounds amazing

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2565226/to-3d-or-not-to-3d-buy-the-right-godzilla-vs-kong-ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I thought it was grand, some people need to learn to switch your brain off for these movies. Popcorn for the eyes, the human characters , dialogue and story is not important.

On a different note, Out of curiosity I was looking at when the Godzilla movie was released in 1998. Armageddon was number 1, saving private Ryan 2 and there was nothing remotely like this kind of blockbuster anywhere near it. When you look at all the marvel , DC, transformers and other fantasy movies available on any given year then I think we are spoiled for choice these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Absolute shîte.
    The mute kid was the best child actor.
    Millie Bobby Brown is awful and the less said about the Aussie that plays the same role in every movie the better.

Brilliant fight scene it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

That was a dissapointing film. 3/10 is being generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Jesus, that was arse water. The visuals were good, and the fighting was enjoyable enough I suppose. But everything else was insultingly bad.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Jesus, that was arse water. The visuals were good, and the fighting was enjoyable enough I suppose. But everything else was insultingly bad.

I stopped reading after arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

How clever of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't see the point in having giant monsters fight each other and destroy a city, and then shoot it as if the cameraman is also 600ft tall, so it just looks like normal-sized things fighting. These sorts of films repeatedly fail their most basic goal, which is having giant monsters fighting each other feel like giant monsters fighting each other. As it is, it's glorified Power Rangers from the 1990s, with less cardboard-y buildings.

But aside from being terrible, I think that in a year where there's a bunch of loons denying the effects of a deadly pandemic, and conspiracy theorists tried to murder the US government, having one of the good guys be a conspiracy theorist, anti-vaxx type, and be proved right, wasn't a great look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Can't agree enough with the above. There's zero sense of scale with the movie, no sense of them fighting in a living, breathing city, or any establishment of any stakes and consequences of all the destruction. It's precisely like an episode of Power Rangers....completely empty, meaningless CGI-driven beat 'em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

King Kong was always a fraction the size of Godzilla

huge artistic licence being used here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Homelander wrote: »
    Can't agree enough with the above. There's zero sense of scale with the movie, no sense of them fighting in a living, breathing city, or any establishment of any stakes and consequences of all the destruction. It's precisely like an episode of Power Rangers....completely empty, meaningless CGI-driven beat 'em up.

You wouldn’t mind but they’re causing carnage and destroying buildings and killing thousands of people yet there’s cars happily driving around in light traffic and people heading to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Japan are used to Kaiju, it's just background noise to them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I thought the destruction in Japan was in spirit of the Toho films. As in the ludicrous nature of the fight in a deserted city was just like the monster fights of the original films.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

It's literally a film about a dinosaur and a gorilla kicking seven shades of ****e out of each other, what were you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

razorblunt wrote: »
    You wouldn’t mind but they’re causing carnage and destroying buildings and killing thousands of people yet there’s cars happily driving around in light traffic and people heading to work.

Yeah, there was a scene where they bashed through a glass office building where staff were busily working away normally despite a titan war right raging outside, wildly destroying all around them up until that point!

Pile o' poo from start to finish. 7yo loved it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I suppose should've seen this coming

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

^^ Sometimes you gotta admire the brazenness of it; you have to imagine everyone on that production knows what they're doing and are at peace with it. That it's just another job.

And you know it's a quality feature when Eric Roberts appears for a classic "I'm half-drunk and filming this in my spare room" cameo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The lizard reminded me of 98 Godzilla

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I suppose should've seen this coming

Why do those low budget knock offs get made.
    They surely aren't profitable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Why do those low budget knock offs get made.
    They surely aren't profitable ?

The Asylum say all there movies make a profit anywhere between $125k to $250k.

Then you would have the likes of Sharknado that would make them a lot more than that.

I'd guess they make most of there money selling them as TV movies around the world and to the streaming platforms who want and need content.

They also have there own channel on Pluto TV which will bring in ad revenue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah these films are made for nothing, even by low budget TV standards. And when every now and again you get a true viral, hoho ironic hit like Sharknado, it's probably pure profit for them on top of the usual blind curiousity the "mockbusters" like the above receives.

The global box office stands at 422m dollars now, which is bloody impressive.
    Warner Bros. have kicked off development on a fifth MonsterVerse project with GvK director Adam Wingard at the helm.
    Variety points out that the fourth colossal entry in the shared monster universe "surpassed revenues for its predecessor, the poorly reviewed, mega-budgeted Godzilla: King of the Monsters.
    That film, which was released in 2019, tapped out with $386 million."
    Skull Island is the franchise's highest-grossing movie with $566.7 million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

If you can forget about how bad the acting is and the absurd plot and plot holes then it's an enjoyable enough film.

It had some good action and fight scenes, but everything else was terrible, I no the acting and the people always play second fiddle to the monsters in these movies but this was by far the worst one acting and plot wise...just total nonsense from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gave this a watch! This was great! Story writing seems to have leaped in quality since King of the Monsters!

I never was less than 100% on Godzilla winning an all out fight with Kong but this story handled that proper solid!

Like the creation of

MechaGodzilla and how it all got away on them! Classic! 😁

They'll never learn!

Good fights and cool universe building. Glad to see the audience has it at 91% on Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/godzilla_vs_kong

and that there's plenty more planned in the future section of the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_vs._Kong#Future

I can imagine that this was really good in the cinema. Ah well.

Still, I didn't quite feel any scene topped the meltdown scene in King of the Monsters.

Might as well give that a quick rewatch:

Awe yeah! Now that.. THAT was epic in the cinema!

Advertisement