Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flights booked before illegal to travel

• 22-03-2021 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭

We booked some flights when green lists were being introduced and before there was 2k fines for going out to the airport.

I've looked online for information regarding refund entitlements but found nothing. I know that I can change dates but my work won't swap my leave.

Are people not permitted a refund for a service that can't be provided ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

LastStop wrote: »
    We booked some flights when green lists were being introduced and before there was 2k fines for going out to the airport.

I've looked online for information regarding refund entitlements but found nothing. I know that I can change dates but my work won't swap my leave.

The flight is going ahead as people are still allowed to fly if they have a valid reason and its cheaper to fly a nearly empty plane than cancel the flight.

Its not the airlines problem that you can't fly so you need to change the flight or take another gamble, which is what booking anything for this year is, that the flight could be cancelled for your refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭beachhead

If,the ticlets you bought allow you to change the dates you should go for that.Th flights most, likely will take off on schedule.If,you paid the "cheapest" fares you will lose your money-no refund will be offered.Recent volcanic activity in Iceland(this month)might be a lucky stroke for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭LastStop

I thought contract law covered this as a contract is voidable if the service or product is no longer valid. It's now illegal to travel on my dates therefore the contract is not enforceable. Shouldn't that dictate a refund?

The tickets were purchased when it was legal to travel, it's no longer legal to travel and likely won't be by the time the flights come around.

Rescheduling and vouchers are available but I'm curious as to why an airline won't refund in this situation.

But it isn’t illegal to travel, only for non essential travel.

But it isn’t illegal to travel, only for non essential travel.

Exactly... Non essential travel is illegal now. At time of purchase it was legal, the contract should now become voidable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Depends on the airline, who did you book with? I had booked return flights from New Zealand to Dublin for a trip home last April, but when it became clear that it wasn't really a runner, Etihad allowed me to keep the flights on credit and told me that if the credit wasn't used within 12 months, I'd be entitled to a full refund. Just coming up to that time now, so we'll see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Apologies if I jump to conclusions here but you are currently working, which means you must be an essential worker, ... If you are and this trip is a holiday to get some rest why not explain that if you pass a checkpoint.

I assume that you booked the trip in the knowledge that we are currently in a global pandemic and you had some plan to stay socially distant from people for the duration of the flight and time in airport? I'm interested to hear how you were planning on traveling and keeping everyone in your group safe.

I do massively disagree with booking a trip out of the country, a work colleague of mine is currently tending to her two children while her husband is in a hospital bed on a ventilator - all with covid , she herself is over the worst of it but has after effects and somehow she is fighting on, I cannot do anything to help because, if I'm not working or doing a school run, I'm not leaving the house and my colleague lives 3 counties away from me... Definitely outside my 5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Exactly... Non essential travel is illegal now. At time of purchase it was legal, the contract should now become voidable.

I don’t think you’ll have any legal standing here as the flight isn’t cancelled and travel hasn’t been banned only restricted. You should have known there was a strong chance of this happening when you booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It doesn't matter that you can't travel, the plane still will because other people can. The airline is providing the service, so you can't get a refund, its an extra €500 each though for you to get to the plane and possibly mandatory quarantine on return.

Everyone was told that green list countries could and would change so don't travel unless essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

This whole 'illegal' thing is scare tactics

If you are not resident in Ireland you can fly out without any restrictions.
    There are a long list of reasonable excuses for travel, 'holiday' is about the only travel reason not permitted.
    Flights continue to operate and people are flying in and out

If the flights operate, no refund. The airline has no responsibility to you if you are unable to travel, it is your responsibility to comply with any legal requirement for travel, visa, vaccination etc (these are not new concepts in travel). The airlines are not flying around empty, they are actually carrying passengers who meet the criteria.

Your contract is with the airline, they have not changed the terms. Most airlines will be happy to waive the change fee for a different date or a voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Apologies if I jump to conclusions here but you are currently working, which means you must be an essential worker, ... If you are and this trip is a holiday to get some rest why not explain that if you pass a checkpoint.

I assume that you booked the trip in the knowledge that we are currently in a global pandemic and you had some plan to stay socially distant from people for the duration of the flight and time in airport? I'm interested to hear how you were planning on traveling and keeping everyone in your group safe.

I do massively disagree with booking a trip out of the country, a work colleague of mine is currently tending to her two children while her husband is in a hospital bed on a ventilator - all with covid , she herself is over the worst of it but has after effects and somehow she is fighting on, I cannot do anything to help because, if I'm not working or doing a school run, I'm not leaving the house and my colleague lives 3 counties away from me... Definitely outside my 5k.

That's some paragraph! People feeling like strangers on the internet owe them an explanation.
    If you want to stay under the bed listening to NPHET until summer 22, then good for you. If someone else wants to travel (having had 2 negative tests at either end), then that's fine too. The plan is called Living with Covid after all, although the Gov seems to have forgotten that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There are huge numbers of people, like myself, who are working from home. We are not classed as essential workers.

As for that excuse, you will just get asked why you have to go abroad to get some rest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Alaninwondeand

Just say your going to a funeral. Simple as that. They won't ask whose funeral it is. You may not even know whose funeral it is either but once you're going to one you have a right to travel.

Ps look up funeral arrangements on the internet at your destination. Remember one, that's all you need.

I was more concerned with the contract law and if the contract was voidable due to the legal status of departing the country. But just a quick update. Aer Lingus sent an email reminding customers they can change dates (subject to fare changes) or request a voucher without an hassle. Three days later they cancelled the flight.

Some airlines as Dr.Ken posted earlier are handling the situation in a better manner than others, I know if you booked a flight with Emirates for example, from Ireland to Dubai, and need to change the dates, that's it you have a ticket, no increase of fare.

Advertisement