Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

attic insulation improve upstairs heating

• 12-12-2019 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi All

I've noticed that our upstairs is not as warm as we would like when the heating is on. We are going to have a plumber call in the next few days to install a magnaflow, clean the system and re-balance the system as we found that some of the rads upstairs have to be bleed once or twice a week.

I am looking at adding more rolled insulation in the attic, we already have the ecose insulation up there, with 150mm in the joists and 150mm going the other direction over that so 300mm altogether.

Would there be any benefit to adding more say another 150mm over the existing insulation and if so can anyone recommend a type of rolled insulation please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

homer1982 wrote: »
    Hi All

I've noticed that our upstairs is not as warm as we would like when the heating is on. We are going to have a plumber call in the next few days to install a magnaflow, clean the system and re-balance the system as we found that some of the rads upstairs have to be bleed once or twice a week.

I am looking at adding more rolled insulation in the attic, we already have the ecose insulation up there, with 150mm in the joists and 150mm going the other direction over that so 300mm altogether.

Would there be any benefit to adding more say another 150mm over the existing insulation and if so can anyone recommend a type of rolled insulation please?

300 mm is a very sound amount. What you have to look at (its a must) is airtightness. alot of people completely forget about this, and in many aspects its more important than increasing the depth of insulation, for example you can get away with nominal depth of insulation if the airtightness is sound.

Often over looked (including by me when i was renovating some rooms, im going back now doing a more fuller review)

Attic close rooms are the worst for air behind the plasterboards bleeding out into skirting and sockets (draughts) Also attic stairs can be a open hole of heat loss. Window frames and the window boards beneath them.

Simply removing skirting putting in air tight tape and replacing same skirting can do huge things to a room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Hi All

This might not apply to your situation, but drsughts and excessive vents are the worst culprits by far with heat loss ! What sort of vents do the rooms have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

We have vents on all of the windows, except the bathrooms and they have extractor fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hi All

Rads having to be bled weekly is more indicative of a leak than an imbalance.

Do you have a closed loop or a open/gravity fed heating system?
    Your system shouldnt be losing water at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

We have a closed loop, I have a plumber coming in the next few days or early next week to look at that and I hope to be with him helping so I can have a better understanding and be able to sort these issues in the future myself.

Thanks to all for the replies so far by the way, really appreciate the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What is the house age/ construction type?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We have a closed loop, I have a plumber coming in the next few days or early next week to look at that and I hope to be with him helping so I can have a better understanding and be able to sort these issues in the future myself.

Thanks to all for the replies so far by the way, really appreciate the help.

What pressure does the boiler say and whats does the gauge on the closed loop say?

Advertisement