Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Powertool to clean messy floor

Options
  • 09-12-2019 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just finished plastering and paining a room which left my floor --- a cheap laminated floor that I would like to keep for another year --- quite messy. Scrubbing a small part for half an hour brought me to the idea that there is perhaps a better way to do that.

Has anybody here ever tried to use a power tool (e.g. a drill or an angle grinder) with an adapter and a light scrub or brush with it? I obviously do not want to kill my floor, and I am not sure about the high speed of the angle grinder.

Any ideas or suggestions that don't kill the floor or me? ;)

Many thanks! A.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Really hot water and a mop. Go over the floor with the wet mop but not overly wet, just make sure that all the plaster gets wet. Leave it soak for 10 minutes then mop it properly. Go over it a few times and there should be no issue with it coming off.

Had the same job done a few months back and my floor came up fine.

I wouldn't bother with the scrubbing brush/drill thing. I tried that on patches on my patio and it was a pain in the A***!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Drop Sheets ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stigura wrote: »
    Drop Sheets ;)

Also, time machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,079 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Try a plastic scraper (like an ice scraper for your car) to get the heavy stuff off.
    Then wash it with warm soapy water.

Once its dry then remove it all and replace it as it will look like junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Things like this already exist. I bought one when they were on sale in The Range, but haven't actually used it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thankfully you were intending to replace it anyway. Of course by this stage you have painted the skirting boards, which ideally should come off to lay the floor. Put it down to experience - cover the floors including wide masking tape round the edges next time - this time replace the floor. We've all (well most of us :D ) been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

looksee wrote: »
    Thankfully you were intending to replace it anyway. Of course by this stage you have painted the skirting boards, which ideally should come off to lay the floor. Put it down to experience - cover the floors including wide masking tape round the edges next time - this time replace the floor. We've all (well most of us :D ) been there.

Skirting boards are already off and have not been painted as I knew that the floor will be re-done. Will not install them before the new floor is in next year.

Thanks for all the advice here. I think I will do a combo between hot water + good manual scrub and some drill power scrubbing. Ordered this here and will try it out as well (just for the fun of it and to see if it works (or if it sucks ;)). Will report later... maybe with before-after pictures ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,079 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

^try a small section first as its probably that the plaster has eaten the finish off the floor and you dont want to spend ages doing the entire floor only for it to dry and have big matt splodges everywhere...

Advertisement