Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black and Decker Workmate

Options
  • 09-12-2019 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at buying a Black and Decker Workmate or something similar. Could anyone recommend these units or something similar.I am looking for something that is strong and sturdy for regular DIY use.
    I have no idea how good or sturdy the Black and Decker units are as they are none on display in the shop. Happy to pay for quality.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tbh, if you really want a nice space to work on which will last id build my own. look up PaulK workbench on youtube. There are may variations of it. But its an excellent thing which can be chopped and changed for many uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭choo choo man

Hi,

I am very limited on space otherwise i would build an actual workbench. I need something strong and sturdy i can fold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

What about two saw horses and an old door or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

I have a good, proper fixed workbench for woodwork but I still bring out my old B&D workmate for some jobs, especially when working on stuff outside. I think I saw them on offer for about €55 in Homebase at the weekend- the same dual height WM536 is retailing at nearly €95 in Woodies (that's a debate for another day). The build quality is fine, (the top is even better now- it's bamboo as opposed to particle board 20 years ago) if used within it's limits and at that price I think it's a bargain. Couple the workmate with a saw horse and door as cletus suggests and you've a very useful set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I still have what's left of my 1970's bought Workmate, out in the compound. Wood's all long since rotted away. Been replaced. Rotted away. But, by god, the damn 'skeleton's' still there and will probably out last me. I'd still expect it to support a V8 lump too.

Obviously, I wanted to replace it. Researched Deep into the latest available " B&D Workmates ". Nope! Not with Bruce Jenners! :mad:

I've had a Keter, for about a year now. Not as world beatingly life changing as getting that WM was, back then. But, I'm happy to have it :)

Saying that? I'm not proselytising. I believe the " Worx 'Pegasus' " can give it a run for its money? What ever. Do ye own research about these modern pieces of kit.

Look forward to seeing what ye get, and think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

cletus wrote: »
    What about two saw horses and an old door or similar

I suspect the biggest problem there is; What do ye do when ye want to work on a Door.

WM had that covered. I wouldn't, in all honesty, like to put my Keter to that test. Those, rubberised clamps, holding a Door vertically, while I planed it?! Dunno.

But, this ~ in my view ~ is where it becomes a Game Of Trade Offs. I don't tend to work with doors. And, if I want to smash and hammer? I have deep, concrete floors and rocks. My Keter certainly doesn't flinch at my usual power / sawing and drilling / screwing.

And, of course, I can nip outside with it, on a sunny day. 'Drop' it up, in my tiny Work Room, in a moment. Then, chuck it back against the wall. Out of sight. Out of mind. Scrunched down to a flat pack. Till next time.

Horses for courses, I guess.

Lurchers ~ Work Tables. Man Debate Material! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Hi,

I am looking at buying a Black and Decker Workmate or something similar. Could anyone recommend these units or something similar.I am looking for something that is strong and sturdy for regular DIY use.
    I have no idea how good or sturdy the Black and Decker units are as they are none on display in the shop. Happy to pay for quality.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I've used one for about 15 years now, quality is fine, it recently got exposed to the elements due to leaking shed roof and is a bit stiff but nothing a bit of WD40 won't cure, I also have a 'cheap' LIDL one which was €14 and compares exactly the same as the more expensive B&D one, so Keep an eye on LIDL website and save yerself a few quid

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

uch wrote: »
    I've used one for about 15 years now, quality is fine, it recently got exposed to the elements due to leaking shed roof and is a bit stiff but nothing a bit of WD40 won't cure, I also have a 'cheap' LIDL one which was €14 and compares exactly the same as the more expensive B&D one, so Keep an eye on LIDL website and save yerself a few quid

+1 - I've got a couple of the Lidl PowerFix ones and they're surprisingly robust. I've got a chunk of 40mm kitchen counter top that I attach to one of them when I needed a larger working area. Cheap as chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Here's my 20 year old Workmate- I replaced the top with some plywood, doubled up at the clamp face and I also turned one of the feet into an adjustable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭choo choo man

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think i will look into getting the workmate purely for space / storage reasons. I purchased a version of the workmate from Aldi last year and the quality was poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think i will look into getting the workmate purely for space / storage reasons. I purchased a version of the workmate from Aldi last year and the quality was poor.

See if you can see one set up on a shop floor somewhere. Mate of mine bought one, said it's not a patch on the old one his father has, closer to the Lidl/Aldi ones

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have had a B&D one for years. I don't use it that much now as I have had a fixed bench. There is nothing like a well anchored vice firmly attached to a solid worktop, the workmate can't hope to duplicate this as it is relatively light and not fixed to the floor. Also the gripping qualities of the workmate 'clamp' facility are not amazing. Having said that, its much better than trying to balance work on a chair.

Advertisement