Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Quiz marque 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

What is the Landsgemeinde?

feargale wrote: »

Clue: Switzerland.

Clue no. 2: politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's a political thing in Switzerland?

:)

It is indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Srameen strikes again! How does he do it?! :pac: :D (that sounded like one of my answers, S. :))

Is it the cantons' regulatory body or some such?

That was my white flag.RcAAp5e7i.gif

New Home wrote: »
    Srameen strikes again! How does he do it?! :pac: :D (that sounded like one of my answers, S. :))

Is it the cantons' regulatory body or some such?

I'm not sure if that expands in any way on the "political" clue. You'll have to do better.

P.S. Political scientists have lots to say about it.

Another to keep us going.

The 1900 Olympics were the first to include sports where women could compete in individual disciplines. Which two disciplines were they?

Another to keep us going.

The 1900 Olympics were the first to include sports where women could compete in individual disciplines. Which two disciplines were they?

Tennis and......archery?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if that expands in any way on the "political" clue. You'll have to do better.

P.S. Political scientists have lots to say about it.

Clue 3: individual cantons.

Tennis and......archery?
    No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Archery and shooting

looksee wrote: »
    Archery and shooting

No

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,500 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Was something like dancing in it? Those early Olympics had expositions and the like attached, resulting in some more "arty" disciplines. A totally random guess at the second would be croquet

Beasty wrote: »
    Was something like dancing in it? Those early Olympics had expositions and the like attached, resulting in some more "arty" disciplines. A totally random guess at the second would be croquet

No neither.

Both disciplines are quite standard now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think one of them was running (I just can't remember the distance, though).

I think one of them was running (I just can't remember the distance, though).

Not any athletics event.

Tennis and......archery?

OK, I was looking for both or nothing. One of those is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Tennis and Badminton? (Complete guess)

• Advertisement

Golf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Archery & swimming

Ah no, couldn't have been swimming, 'twould have been indecent!

Golf?

You got both! Tennis and Golf indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Golf was in Olympics before?

Name the patron saint of London.

Golf was in Olympics before?

Golf was in the Olympics before WWI. Lots of sports were in the Olympics before, rugby 1920-1924, tug-o-war, croquet, etc..

Clue 5: two cantons, Glarus and Appenzell Innerrhoden.

Name the patron saint of London.

Just because of the cathedral: St Paul??

• Advertisement

Just because of the cathedral: St Paul??

Nope.

Nope.

The answer seems to vary depending on who you ask, I have so far found about 6 options though St Paul seems to be the most convincing to me anyway.

The answer seems to vary depending on who you ask, I have so far found about 6 options though St Paul seems to be the most convincing to me anyway.

No. Paul has no more claim on London than Peter (he of the basilica) has on Rome, whose patron is Philip Neri. The net is full of speculation on this and other patron saints, but gets London right in spots. One person was venerated as patron in medieval London. The name is somewhat topical at present, which is why I chose the question. I got my info not from the net but from reading many years ago in some publication which I believe was reputable and authoritive. The possible existence of co-patrons doesn't negative the answer. Ireland has co-patrons too, but nobody would dispute that Patrick is the patron of Ireland.
    If you have surfed the net I reckon you've found it. I'll give it 24 hours more.

Archibald?

Archibald?

That's it, known in Anglo-Saxon as Earconwald or Erkenwald, Bishop of London in the Anglo-Saxon Christian church between 675 and 693. The Normans called him Archibald, but I'm sure his pals called him Archie, including those down at Buck House.

Final clue: It exists now in only two cantons, Glarus and Appenzell Innerrhoden.

It formerly existed in many "rural cantons" but in none of the "city cantons."

It was progressively abandoned at the cantonal level through the 19th and 20th century. Zug and Schwyz jettisoned it in 1848, followed by Uri in 1928.

Nidwalden in 1996, Appenzell Ausserrhoden in 1997 and Obwalden in 1998 abolished their cantonal Landsgemeinde.

• Advertisement

That's it, known in Anglo-Saxon as Earconwald or Erkenwald, Bishop of London in the Anglo-Saxon Christian church between 675 and 693. The Normans, called him Archibald, but I'm sure his pals called him Archie, including those down at Buck House.

Or Baldie, if he was follicly-challenged. :pac:

I'll have to think of a question, I'll try and post it tomorrow.

I asked my old friend in England and he says five are generally listed.

Erkenwald, George, Mellitus, Michael, & Paul the Apostle.

I just looked it up, there doesn't even seem to be a Saint Archibald. Hmmm. Unless Erkenwald is a variation of Archibald.

EDIT: Yes, that's it.

I asked my old friend in England and he says five are generally listed.

Erkenwald, George, Mellitus, Michael, & Paul the Apostle.

A few more and your friend will exceed the number who claim to have been in the GPO in 1916. :)

I am pretty confident in saying that Erkenwald/Archibald is the only one who was ever regarded as the patron saint of London,

Anyway we'll give it jointly to New Home and yourself.

A question each please.

P.S. After the final clue, surely somebody can now crack the Swiss one.

Commercial/Travel-related question.

What year did Ryanair open their first European routes (I don't mean the UK), and which ones were they?

• Advertisement

Commercial/Travel-related question.

What year did Ryanair open their first European routes (I don't mean the UK), and which ones were they?

Brussels and Munich in 1988 - also the first year they carried more than 500,000 passengers.

(Sorry NH - Ryanair were a case study for me when I did my MBA a few years ago :D)

Detective Columbo is a constant on satellite TV channels and had been around since the early 70s.
    What is his first name?

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Brussels and Munich in 1988 - also the first year they carried more than 500,000 passengers.

(Sorry NH - Ryanair were a case study for me when I did my MBA a few years ago :D)

Ok, unless they had "precursor" flights before they opened their full service, I had Charleroi and Beauvais in 1997. Same year they had their IPO, BTW.

Detective Columbo is a constant on satellite TV channels and had been around since the early 70s.
    What is his first name?

Detective. Duh. :pac:

(But really, Frank)

Did they ever say his first name?

Ok, unless they had "precursor" flights before they opened their full service, I had Charleroi and Beauvais in 1997. Same year they had their IPO, BTW.

These routes were later shutdown when Ryanair started streamlining their service and homogenizing their fleet and also due to the impact on the company from the gulf war outbreak in '91. But back when they started their major expansions, and still had prop aircraft, they ran those two routes for a number of years. (Until 1992/93 I think*)

You are correct about the Beauvais and Charleroi routes in 1997 but to add to that, they also started operating routes from London to Stockholm and Oslo in that year, so the above marked their "first" 4 European routes in the modern-day Ryanair :)

Did they ever say his first name?

I'm not sure if someone said it or if he said it in any of the episodes, but I remember seeing it written down, probably on his I.D. or something. Besides, he looks like a Frank. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

New Home wrote:
    I'm not sure if someone said it or if he said it in any of the episodes, but I remember seeing it written down, probably on his I.D. or something. Besides, he looks like a Frank.

That's Frank Drebin.

:p

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    That's Frank Drebin.

:p

Nah, he looks like a Leslie. And don't call me Shirley.

I'm not sure if someone said it or if he said it in any of the episodes, but I remember seeing it written down, probably on his I.D. or something. Besides, he looks like a Frank. :D

He definitely doesn't look like a Frank. He looks like a Richard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement