Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akumal, Mexico - Cycle friendly?

Options
  • 05-01-2019 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Just checking to see if anyone has cycled in this area? It's just south of Cancun and has come recommended as a holiday destination. I found very little to suggest its anything but a gated resort with very little to offer for a racer looking to train a few days while on a family holiday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I was on the Yucatan peninsula last June, in and around Cancun and Tulum, and I'd say it's not worth the stress. The drivers are mental and the roads are really awful.

Build it into your training plan as a rest week and enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

I spent two weeks around Yucatan few years ago but driving. I thought roads were grand but yeap drivers are a wee bit different to European ones. I did not see anyone cycling so not sure how they could react to cyclists.

Also I am not sure this time of the year but when I was there in July the humidity was mental. I guess it could be similar to using an indoor trainer without fan. I went for few lazy runs early in the morning and the sweat of me was unreal.

Enjoy the holidays and would agree take the week as a rest.

Advertisement