Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Level

Options
  • 11-12-2019 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi Gents,

I am looking to purchase a laser level for hanging shelves tiling and general work. I have 0 experience with these laser levels but i would like to get one. I do quite a bit of DIY so i would like to have a unit that covers all the leveling scenarios. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. Happy to pay for a good all round unit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

It depends on how much you want to spend.
    I have dewalt 3 line self leveling one. Its brilliant.
    I have a hilti one that you can lock the pendulum and do angles with. That's very handy but is only one line.

If you can I would get one that you lock the pendulum for transport.

Get a good tripod . Or a pole that springs against the ceiling. I just one if these and its brilliant for inside work.

I have a receiver for mine that allows me to use it a bit like a rotary laser lever that buoldera use for foundations etc. It seems fairly good and only 150 instead of 8000

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭choo choo man

I would be happy to pay €100 to €150 for a decent unit. I just have no experience with the units and their capabilities hence the query.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I got this one last year for tiling, very reasonable and did as required. Didn't see the point of spending big money for something that would be rarely used after, have a few spirit levels also.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MS74QLB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's quite good indoors but difficult to see outside or in a bright room, the green laser is supposed to be better on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Have a look at adverts.ie. if you have any dewalt tools try and pick up one that takes a 18v battery. If not there is plenty more on there for decent money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dewalt-dw088k-self-levelling-line-laser/38474
    This is the basic Dewalt Red line Laser. Their the job. You’d probably get it about €30 cheaper on amazon or the green one for the same price. Use one pretty much everyday for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Make sure it's self leveling if your spending the money.

I've the green De Walt one. Bit out of your budget but the red one is similar only has less range and not superb outdoors in comparison to green light.

Depends where you want to use yours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

keithdub wrote: »
    Have a look at adverts.ie. if you have any dewalt tools try and pick up one that takes a 18v battery. If not there is plenty more on there for decent money

Battery compatibility is irrelevant with these tools. OP, the Tacklife linked above would fit your bill perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭choo choo man

Many thanks for the replies, i think i will go for the Tacklife unit above and see how i go.

dodzy wrote: »
    Battery compatibility is irrelevant with these tools. OP, the Tacklife linked above would fit your bill perfectly.

Battery compatability is very important. These tools use a nice few batteries at a time and arnt that easy on them .
    If your using it a few times a year its not a big deal but a few times a week or month it adds up fast. There is nothing worse than it going dead when you need it. At least with bateris that are comparable with your other tools you can charge it up or swap over to another one

Battery compatability is very important. These tools use a nice few batteries at a time and arnt that easy on them .
    If your using it a few times a year its not a big deal but a few times a week or month it adds up fast. There is nothing worse than it going dead when you need it. At least with bateris that are comparable with your other tools you can charge it up or swap over to another one

OP is talking about laser levels.....AA batteries.

• Advertisement

OP is talking about laser levels.....AA batteries.

The decent ones are rechargeable. DeWalt for example mines 18v

listermint wrote: »
    The decent ones are rechargeable. DeWalt for example mines 18v

Nice one, never knew, but a great idea nonetheless. Apologies to PT. Out of interest, are the green really that good outdoors ? I’ve the old 088 I think it is, and while internally it’s fine, outdoors is very poor.

Nice one, never knew, but a great idea nonetheless. Apologies to PT. Out of interest, are the green really that good outdoors ? I’ve the old 088 I think it is, and while internally it’s fine, outdoors is very poor.

dont worry about it.

if your using it very rarely a baterriers wont matter.

i probably spent 50 euro on AA bateries this year for several tools. so anything to reduce that would eb well worth it

i have no experience witht eh green laser. they say its better outside. all i can say is that the red is omposible to see once you go past 20 ft from the laser. the glasses help a bit but are a nuisance
    the receiver is great though

It's an improvement but as with anything in real sunshine.... Can suffer immediately

Advertisement