Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Gravity Enduro

Options
  • 10-12-2019 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

So the races are up on the site. Only 4 races for 2020 as opposed to the usual 5 - wonder if that's down to numbers at some of the races?

Anyway - delighted Djouce is there. No Ticknock again - last one there was 2017 before "The Felling".

Killaloe was great last year so hoping to get down for that and of course Carrick never disappoints.

Round 1 - Djouce - 16th/17th May
    Round 2 - Killaloe - 6th/7th June
    Round 3 - Ballinastoe - 22nd/23rd August
    Round 4 - Carrick - 5th/6th September

http://www.gravityenduro.ie/index.php/events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

How far in advance to these sell out? I'll probably aim to do Djouce and Stoe if I can.

New rule for 2020 is all riders must race in full face.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

It's hard to say when/if they sell out - some have in the past, but I've friends who entered some the night before. With that said - these are all great places to race, no new / unknown places here so I'd say interest will be high.

Yeah, saw that on the full face. No harm but will want a good one as you have to wear lid on transitions, so you wouldn't want a big heavy one sucking the life out of you. The removable chin bits ones are an option, but I like my helmets as one piece as they can be - no moving parts = fewer weak points.

If anyone's got recommendations for a good (but wearable on transitions) full face please let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Thinking I'll do Djouce, it was my first ever Gravity Enduro I done a few years back on a 120mm full suss, loved it but capped myself the whole way though, can't wait to tackle it again on a better bike.

For a full face, I'm looking at the Giro Switchblade myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

What sort of level would you need to be to take part in these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Bot1 wrote: »
    What sort of level would you need to be to take part in these?

Have a decent level of fitness to be able to complete the full course (about 30km) and be reasonably comfortable on techy and steep sections.

In the end you're racing the clock, if possible get the guy behind you to give you a decent gap and enjoy the stages.

If new to it, I find the Grassroots Enduro a better introduction, as you can run the stages multiple times over the course of the day, there's only 3 so if worried about fitness you can take breaks between the stages to recover and not be under the same time pressure as the Gravity.

• Advertisement

Need to keep an eye on full-face offers also over the next couple of months. I was going to buy a Bell Super 3 a few weeks back because you can upgrade with the chin bar for racing, but just bought a different open face instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

https://emerald-mtb.com/calendar/

Useful calendar there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭prunudo

They don't appear to be doing the discount for signing up for the full series at the same time.(gravityenduro)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

prunudo wrote: »
    They don't appear to be doing the discount for signing up for the full series at the same time.(gravityenduro)

I see they're offering €10 early bird entry which I don't recall seeing before. I'd say most people don't do all of the GE events so makes more sense to offer an early bird entry price.

Grass roots have some cracking locations this year although surprised they're going back to The Nagles but looking forward to Sronaboy and Bree.

• Advertisement

Carrick is going ahead! Delighted. Will be Grassroots format by the sounds of it.

steamsey wrote: »
    Carrick is going ahead! Delighted. Will be Grassroots format by the sounds of it.

It's the best kind of format I was never a fan of their timing system for starting stages in an event that has a majority of amateur participants.

Good to see some events getting through though a shame the grass roots got knocked on the head.

Is there an entry portal, or has it been sold out since earlier in the year?

Hoping 2NDURO goes ahead at the start of October also, postponed since March.

Plastik wrote: »
    Is there an entry portal, or has it been sold out since earlier in the year?

Last I saw on facebook they said there's still places but if booking through the gravity enduro site it came up as sold out. If you're on FB I'd message them.

I just had a read on FB and apparently there's a waiting list but they're refunding those locked down in Kildare which I assume they can pick out from their entry forms.

So does this mean it will only be a one day event and less stages then if they're going with the grass roots format. Had written off the 2020 race season but if its a one day event I might consider it.

Entry notes rec'd via email state

- no practice day, event is two one day races. Some categories race Saturday, others Sunday
    - 3 stages - you can do as many times as you like and pick best times
    - no spectators (no showboating.......)
    - no event village - all online registration

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

anyone doing this tomorrow? I'm starting 9:55

Gerry wrote: »
    anyone doing this tomorrow? I'm starting 9:55

So how did it go? Was the different format a success? Fingers crossed for a full calender in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

it went very well. very safe as regards covid. format a huge success. ended up doing 4 stages, repeated stage 2 after making huge hash of it. which was great, dont normally get to consign my mistakes on enduro stages to history! Carrick was great as always, maybe a bit pedally for some but it suited me. my best showing in an enduro, maybe the format suited me.

I think it was fully booked out, maybe theyll tweak it a little but yep hoping for full calendar next year.

Advertisement