Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who sells cheap cars in Waterford?

Options
  • 07-04-2021 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

and are there any who are straight and honest! I'm getting itchy fingers. My car is fine but I'm looking for something a little bigger pref estate with job in mind. The main garages have no time for budget motoring unless it comes as a finance deal for something new or nearly new. Back before we were declared a "rich" country they'd have a selection of cheap trade ins tucked away round the back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭dzilla

not really sure of your budget but I know Martin Barrett's are finished with Skoda and selling not so new cars instead (year 141 - 171), mainly VW / Ford / Skoda / Kia / Hyundai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cheap as in budget cheap - I'm talking 3500 max, probably 2010 as most recent year.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it was me I'd be looking at private sales, the warranty you are likely going to get from a dealer at that pricepoint will be a limited 3 month engine and gearbox, little else. Do your homework and try to buy from someone who has had the car a while and looked after it with service history etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh sure that's the obvious thing but I was just thinking about what might be another angle worth looking at. Can't rule out a garage having the specific model spec you're after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 corollake35

Martin Barrett's prices are still main dealer prices from what I can see.
    I went there last year looking for something similar to you, but they didn't have anything like that.
    A few years ago I bought from Eddie Garry over in Bilberry and found him quite good. He sold me a car with a faulty ABS sensor, I needed the car before he could repair and had to leave back with him later, found him to be very accommodating and easy to deal with.
    I can see you're not keen on the private route, but that's where I'd be searching too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

There used to be plenty of used cars being advertised by the likes of John Kelly for €2000 - €4000 in the Munster and news and star.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Find the right car, not the right garage at that price. 3500 is fairly rock bottom nowadays for anything you'd consider as a work car. There are plenty of gems out there, I wouldn't hold out for a particular garage in 1 small county of Ireland having what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Apologies for hijacking this thread slightly.
    But I'm wondering if anyone could recommend someone to sell a car for me?
    Don't want to deal with the hassle of tyre kickers and time wasters, so would happily pay someone a fee to do that for me.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

kuang1 wrote: »
    Apologies for hijacking this thread slightly.
    But I'm wondering if anyone could recommend someone to sell a car for me?
    Don't want to deal with the hassle of tyre kickers and time wasters, so would happily pay someone a fee to do that for me.

Any ideas?

Throw it up on motors section you may get a boardsie interested...

What is it, year etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Throw it up on motors section you may get a boardsie interested...

What is it, year etc...

Yeah might do that ta!

171 jetta.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

kuang1 wrote: »
    Yeah might do that ta!

171 jetta.

Advertise it in the farming section too.

what's everybody's opinion on buying a second hand diesel nowadays? is it something that could potentially be hard to move on in 2-3 years. Would petrol be better option. I see eddie garry has some nice fiesta hatchbacks at the moment all petrol, the guys importing cars from the north seem to be moving away from diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

dzilla wrote: »
    what's everybody's opinion on buying a second hand diesel nowadays? is it something that could potentially be hard to move on in 2-3 years. Would petrol be better option. I see eddie garry has some nice fiesta hatchbacks at the moment all petrol, the guys importing cars from the north seem to be moving away from diesel.

Thats part of a cunning plan to get all petrol cars out of the North so they cant be used for rioting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

dzilla wrote: »

If you buy a diesel you do big mileage if you don't then buy petrol..,..

Diesels will be around for a very long time yet but the turn is happening where those that don't need them are starting to get petrol

Advertisement