Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Walrus: LeVar Goes to the Pictures Part II - Electric Boogaloo

Options
  • 28-03-2021 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

I figured since some people might have some down time over Easter they might want to sit down and think of some movies for my Movie Walrus Sequel...

Not that long since my first one, but I enjoyed it so much, why not embark on another - this one won't have as quick a turnaround as the last one, as I want to savour this one a bit more, and I'm doing more categories than before, but I'll still try and knock it out in a reasonable timeframe...

How It Works:

Movie Walrus works similar to Music Walrus, where the host decides the categories and the players submit their choices via PM based on the same.

Then when the host has watched and scored the categories, there will be a grand reveal and points will be awarded, certain films ripped to shreds and others praised wrongly or rightfully so, because as with music film tastes are subjective, and I'm all over the shop in what I like and don't like, and I'm still not gonna give anything away... but you can check out how my last one went if you want to get an idea of what I like and don't like... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058130432

Why Am I Doing This?

The last one was just so much damn fun that I wanted to hop back on the wagon and go again...

The Categories:

1. The One With All The Sequels - as this is my Movie Walrus Sequel, what better category to kick things off than a search for some seriously sweet sequels. I'm not looking for the best sequels of all-time, and I'd like to see people think outside the box for this one rather than go for the obvious... I just want a good enjoyable sequel that preferably also works as a stand-alone film and I don't have to know what happened in the first one to enjoy it…

2. Never Work With Children or Animals - if you've ever worked on set with a child or an animal you'll know that either of those unpredictable little buggers can bring an entire production to a halt by refusing to play ball, and even if they are cooperative, kids and animals can only work for a set amount of time a day which is a pain if you're trying to make a movie, so I can appreciate films where the main character is a child actor or an animal, especially when they're done really well, so that's what I want here

3. A Question of Sport - not a big Sports fan, but always seem to enjoy Sports Movies no matter the genre, so there's an open goal for the taking here if you can get your shot in… I have a particular fondness for underdog stories especially, but I don't want to limit the category to those, so anything goes as long as Sports is the background for it

4. Ladies Night - it's no secret that there's a gender inbalance in the film industry, so lets try and right that wrong by celebrating the women folk. Pretty broad category here, just want something with a strong female character in the main role, and who isn't overshadowed or fighting for screentime with a male counterpart

5/6. Choose Your Own Adventure/The Double Feature - I did a Selection Box in my LeVar's Stocking Filler's quickfire Christmas themed Music Walrus where people got to choose 1 song from a selection of 5 sub-categories, and I ended up really loving the variety that was born from giving people an option, and it also allows to go for some more niche options, so it was a no-brainer to do something along those lines again. However, I also wanted to double the fun for the last round and have more points up for grabs and more chances to obtain those points, so Pick 2 Movies to send me from any the sub-categories below… You can use the same category twice if you want, or have a pick'n'mix as all choices from all sub-categories will face off and be ranked against each other, and your two movies will also be ranked against all the rest here - so in theory you could win both first and second place in this round, or indeed pick two stinkers and end up in both the bottom spots (it'll make sense at the reveal, but basically, pick 2 films overall from any of the categories below)
    • To B or Not To B - I'm a big fan of low budget, critically panned, cult classic B-Movies, and always on the lookout for some new ones
    • The Early Bird Special - gotten into the oldies a lot more in recent years, so hit me with a film that was released before 1950
    • The Estevez Festivez - a running gag on Cougar Town was that the characters would binge watch Emilio Estevez movies, and I've always wanted to do something like that, so quite simply, any movie starring the man himself
    • Off-Broadway - I like musicals, but I've seen most of the big budget well known ones, so trying to find a few of the more obscure lesser known movie musicals if you've got any
    • The Teen Scream - who doesn't love seeing teenagers being hunted down and killed by serial killers and the like… this one is pretty self-explanatory I think
    • It's The End of the World As We Know It and I Feel Fine - any sort of natural disaster or impending apocalypse movie, that balances exciting and epic action with interesting characters that I give a sh*t about
    • Caged In - I've not watched a whole lot of Nicolas Cage films, but I'm fascinated by the idea of how he is both a brilliant and terrible actor simultaneously, so any film in which he stars for this one
    Sumbissions and Deadlines

Send me a PM with your choices (6 films total, 1 each for the first 4 categories, and 2 for the Choose Your Own Adventure/Double Feature category) and please provide IMDB links to the film (just to make sure I watch the right one). Also make it clear which category you're submitting each film for to avoid any confusion.

I don't want to set any limits on how many people can enter, and having done this once before and knowing what to expect, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, so I'm gonna leave sign-ups open for 3 weeks before I get stuck in to watching the films...

Get your submissions in by end of day on Sunday April 18th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Entries in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Necro wrote: »
    Entries in!

Seriously? :confused:
    How you do them with such speed I don't know!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ari101 wrote: »
    Seriously? :confused:
    How you do them with such speed I don't know!!! :D

I did mine too now for fear I would forget

I think in categories 5 and 6 there be duplicates from players

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Ha....Necro out of the block in record time :D I need to think about this one. B-Movies you say ? :D

Great categories LeVar, got only one or two in mind so far though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Great categories, but some do need some consideration. A few I knew instantly what I wanted to submit, and might be fairly obvious choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Kolido wrote: »
    Ha....Necro out of the block in record time :D

He wasn't even first for once... Was beaten to the buzzer by another eager beaver... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I've signed up.
    200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

What sort of age limit is on category 2?

(For kids not animals)

osh wrote: »
    What sort of age limit is on category 2?

(For kids not animals)

Well the way I would look at it is you can reason with teenagers and generally work with them fairly easily, whereas kids younger than that can be more difficult, so younger than teenagers is the intention with which the category was set, but everything is open to interpretation of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Nominations sent. I could have picked a dozen movies for each category and if I sent them in tomorrow I could have completely different movies so had to pick these quickly and push that button.

7 Entries So Far...

the purple tin
    Necro
    JP Liz V1
    Irish Aris
    cee_jay
    ShaneU
    Kolido

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Would you accept TV movies, or must they have been released in cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

A movie is a movie so don't see a problem.

And I''m in

Would you accept TV movies, or must they have been released in cinema?

What osh said. A movie is a movie, no matter where it aired originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Sent! I was debating between a few different movies in each category so hopefully I chose the right ones

Up to 9 now...

the purple tin
    Necro
    JP Liz V1
    Irish Aris
    cee_jay
    ShaneU
    Kolido
    osh
    Sawduck

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

in :D

3 more in, bringing us up to 12...

the purple tin
    Necro
    JP Liz V1
    Irish Aris
    cee_jay
    ShaneU
    Kolido
    osh
    Sawduck
    Rikand
    aaronjennings
    Reberetta

More! Gimme More!

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

More! Gimme More!
    If you're really desperate I'll send you some :pac:

Can 5 and 6 both be from the same category?

If you're really desperate I'll send you some :pac:

Can 5 and 6 both be from the same category?

Yeah, I'm desperate, desperate to judge everyone on their film tastes... :D

Yes, they can both be from the same category...
    Pick 2 Movies to send me from any the sub-categories below… You can use the same category twice if you want, or have a pick'n'mix

Yes, they can both be from the same category...
    Cool, that's how I read it but wanted to double check before overloading you with Nicolas Cage :D

Edit: just realised I clearly didn't read it right the first time, sorry :p

Up to 13 at the moment...

the purple tin
    Necro
    JP Liz V1
    Irish Aris
    cee_jay
    ShaneU
    Kolido
    osh
    Sawduck
    Rikand
    aaronjennings
    Reberetta
    Alfred Borden

Sign-Ups open until the 18th anyway, so loads of time for people to join in

I've got the first four rounds ready, and four to narrow down for the double-header. I'll definitely be in :)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I'm in

FLA1.gif

14 in...

the purple tin
    Necro
    JP Liz V1
    Irish Aris
    cee_jay
    ShaneU
    Kolido
    osh
    Sawduck
    Rikand
    aaronjennings
    Reberetta
    Alfred Borden
    mustang shelly

At least 2 more have told me to expect an entry before the deadline, so good numbers in which will keep things interesting.

As always, still room for more.

OK, I overthought it, then made a snap decision...

tenor.gif?itemid=8589519

Hope you like them!

• Advertisement

Just this weekend left to get a submission in if you're planning to take part in the fun. Closing sign-ups on Sunday Night/Monday Morning

15 so far...

the purple tin
    Necro
    JP Liz V1
    Irish Aris
    cee_jay
    ShaneU
    Kolido
    osh
    Sawduck
    Rikand
    aaronjennings