Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning Astronauts landing in Water v Land

Options
  • 18-03-2021 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Returning Russian astronauts always land on solid ground, in some remote part of Siberia (or in one of the former countries of the USSR). NASA astronauts land in the ocean.

Why the different approach? The USA also has vast tracts of under-populated land. Is it simply due to the fact that you would need a softer landing on a hard surface, rather than on water?

Recovery on land seems to be much faster and cheaper. You just need a few helicopters, rather than a fleet of ships.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

I cant find it at the moment, but I know Scott Manley did a video on this before.

If I remember correctly, a lot of it was to do with launch aborts. NASA launches from the coast, heading out over the sea, so a splashdown made sense. Russia/USSR launch from an inland site, surrounded by essentially wasteland.

I think the only exceptions to this are the Shuttle and Starliner, which will touchdown normally, but can splashdown in an abort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

could be the type of land also available? you don't want to attempt a landing where there's a possibility of landing in a swamp or in a woodland.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

NASA had plans to land project Gemini capsule on land by use of a glider but they changed their mind to use a landing in water instead. NASA only went to land landings when it became necessary because of the shuttle. Capsule wise it’s either been the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean landings.

Advertisement