Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe cycling to Dun Laoghaire from...

Options
  • 13-12-2020 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

... Kilbogget Park.

We are in a pickle with my friend and their kids, trying to find a safe route to cycle from the Kilbogget Park area where they live to Dun Laoghaire. It would be a daily cycle for a teenager so dedicated or ideally segregated lanes is what they want but there doesn't seem to be a way.

Johnstown Road has a (poor) cycle lane but then Rochestown Road you would need does not. Churchview Rd doesn't have any. There doesn't seem to be anything safe from Sallynogin Roundabout to Dun Laoghaire: not Gleneagery Rd Lower, not Adelaide Rd or Albert Rd although it would be miles around already.

Are we missing anything obvious - I hope we are? The proposed safe school cycling scheme, is it going to add any safe lanes on this route without going miles out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Currently if they got to the Graduate roundabout they are on segregated infrastructure to the Sallynoggin roundabout. However you are still left with the problem of getting down to DL. I suppose it depends where about in DL you want to go but from Sallynoggin roundabout you could go through Cualanor and into DL via Tivoli Terrace. Cualanor would be quiet and there is a bike lane from Sallynoggin roundabout to the entrance.

The new active travel will in theory have a link from Clonkeen Park through the new rehab, Sefton Park, Honey Park, Cualanor and into DL from Tivoli Road.
    Also I believe there will be a quiet way through Glenageary Woods/Royal terrace if they get permission to open up that cul de sac.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Awaaf

strandroad wrote: »
    ... Kilbogget Park.

We are in a pickle with my friend and their kids, trying to find a safe route to cycle from the Kilbogget Park area where they live to Dun Laoghaire. It would be a daily cycle for a teenager so dedicated or ideally segregated lanes is what they want but there doesn't seem to be a way.

Johnstown Road has a (poor) cycle lane but then Rochestown Road you would need does not. Churchview Rd doesn't have any. There doesn't seem to be anything safe from Sallynogin Roundabout to Dun Laoghaire: not Gleneagery Rd Lower, not Adelaide Rd or Albert Rd although it would be miles around already.

Are we missing anything obvious - I hope we are? The proposed safe school cycling scheme, is it going to add any safe lanes on this route without going miles out?

I am not a regular cyclist but you could take Kilbogget/Clonkeen Park path to Macintosh Park. Then go up to the back entrance of the rehab and go through the rehab then into the red brick estate opposite (can't think of name). This connects into Honey Park and down to DL via Cualanor or the next old estate up closer to the Noggin roundabout which connects to Myrtle Park/Royal Terrace.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Also I believe there will be a quiet way through Glenageary Woods/Royal terrace if they get permission to open up that cul de sac.

This route is open AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Use the cycle lane along church road. Then down Avondale road cycle lane take Albert road till you join the metals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Or you could go up Granville Road, turn right at Johnstown Road, and then take the left onto the Pottery Road cycle track. A right turn at Bakers takes you down toward York Road. I take that route when I am with my younger brother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

ted1 wrote: »
    Use the cycle lane along church road. Then down Avondale road cycle lane take Albert road till you join the metals

Forgot about the Metals. That is a good route. Only a short bit on Albert Road with no cycle lane. Then segregated all the way to DL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

This is excellent advice, thank you all. A couple of very useful shortcuts there to test!
    Yes we considered Albert Rd, I use it myself on occasion but I find it problematic with car parking on both sides the visibility is not the best and drivers get testy... Cualanor shortcut could really work for them, I tend to forget that there's a way through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Awaaf wrote: »
    This route is open AFAIK.

So it's Glenageary Woods to Myrtle Park? That's brilliant.

strandroad wrote: »
    So it's Glenageary Woods to Myrtle Park? That's brilliant.

yep. has been for years but recently widened and made easier for cyclists.

Access out of Cualanor is 1. opp. McCormacks Pub, 2. At the DL Bowling Club at Eglinton Park and 3. along the access drive to St Joseph's school.

Access to Honey Park is from Sefton or Sallynoggin Park.

It's all shown on Google Maps AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

I second the Metals. Getting to it from Kilbogget, you have a couple of options.

I bring my 10 year old quite often. We go down Avondale road until the Metals.

The new link via the NRH looks promising when it's done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Going down Sallynoggin Hill at top speed is something every kid on a bike should experience at least one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

fixXxer wrote: »
    Going down Sallynoggin Hill at top speed is something every kid on a bike should experience at least one :D

I do this regularly and it is actually quite safe, and quite fun! The climb back up is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

fixXxer wrote: »

An absolute thrill, all the way from the roundabout right down to the Peoples park.

A safer option btw would be through Glenageary Woods, you still get the thrill of the hill but little or no traffic.

Advertisement