Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tale of Tullyallen Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Digiweb just announced SIRO broadband in Louth. Drogheda and Dundalk mentioned specifically.

Its broadband over electric cables / fibre. Dare we dream? Called Digiweb and they didnt discount it at all, said I should be ok and would know more in 2 weeks. 1000mb broadband? i'd be happy with 150mb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excited but it does represent something of a last chance saloon type scenario with our part of Tullyallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Exciting news if true! Is Digiweb a reseller for SIRO, wouldn't Vodafone offer SIRO, after all it's their own project with ESB?

positron wrote: »
    Exciting news if true! Is Digiweb a reseller for SIRO, wouldn't Vodafone offer SIRO, after all it's their own project with ESB?

Just got an email from Digiweb no one else...

However, the ESB did turn off our electricity in Tullyallen for a full day recently? Just a coincidence? I really hope we can get it.

Prices seem pretty reasonable, think theres a 35 euro package, 55 for 350mb and 85 if you want 1GB download speeds!

According to this its a no go...

FFS

http://siro.ie/towns/drogheda/#map

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

I signed up to Imagine LTE for Tullyallen, it was supposed to be installed at the start of the month but was pushed out. The last update I received was the site is to go live 16th Sept and an engineer will contact me 10 days later, still no sign of it

will let you know how I get on

• Advertisement

What are you all currently using?

I'm on the 30mb metro connection from digiweb but it's speedtests about 2.25mb at peak times until around 11.30pm

Useless for streaming in evenings.

Vodafone landline, lucky to get 1.3 meg download usually around 1.0 !!

So the imagine engineer called today, he said I cant get a signal not even if he installed a 20 meter pole. He also tried to install it at the morning Star but wont work there either, They need line of sight to Mount Orial. he said the huses between the Star and the school wont be able ti use Imagine.

still stuck with 1 meg

Digiweb said they have no immediate plans to have Siro broadband in Tulyallen

1.39 mbps on the Digiweb metro speedtest tonight. Was 1.47 mbps yesterday.

Practically unusable during the evenings. Is there anyone in Ireland so near to a major town with such pathetic broadband options?

Even the local TD's are groaning when i write to them now. But to be fair at least groaning is a reply, none of the Sinn Fein lot bothered to even acknowlege emails in relation to Tullyallen broadband!

I actually regret buying here because of this issue. Bah humbug.:mad:

Anyone get the Imagine LTE servie successfully installed? I see a few new weird and wonderful wallmounted aeriels around the place!

20GB daily cap is very irritating though..

Updates:
    Digiweb Metro is unusable. One of the kids couldnt even watch youtube on Sunday afternoon because of buffering. Speedtest 1.92mbps at 15:00hrs on a Sunday. Ridiculous.
    Vodafone via phoneline - Neighbour was getting 1.2mb and now seems to be on a more settled .9mbs. 3 kids in the house with mobiles..I do not want to live there!

What really annoys me about the Tullyallen situation is that if you drive 5 minutes in any given direction you will see fibre enabled cabinets dotted around the place in the middle of nowhere! Tullyallen stands out like an oasis of backwardness. There has to be a reason why fibre has not been installed in the village. It makes absolutely no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭nathughes

We are with imagine and it really is not the best... jas there been any update as to vodafone coming out here. Its actually rediculous. I love my house but i am regretting buying here for this. We cannot watch netflix if our son wants to play his games on net.

So that is the Spring 2017 plan been and gone and no work on either of the cabinets in Tullyallen. 
    I think it is safe to say Tullyallen does not really figure on their plans!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kaiser84

This thread will still be 'live' in 4 years time and the fibre cabinets won't.

I have emailed Fergus O'Dowd and Declan Breathnach this morning.

I'd be grateful if a few more of you could drop them a line too.

Is this correct?

Eircom / Sky / Vodafone : People in Townley Manor, Allen Wood and Gleann Alainn have their own exchanges so are getting 24mbs?

Eircom / Sky / Vodafone: People in Arda Raith, Cnoc na Greinne, Morning Star, School area are all on the Trinity Street exchange - 1.6mbs

Digiweb - 42:1 contention rates (I confirmed this with their Tech Support). 1.5-2mbs at peak times.

Metro - People seemingly very unhappy with speeds. Over subscription of the service.

Eircom will not move people off the Trinity Street exchange and put them on any exchange in Tullyallen as it is against Comreg rules? So even if the cabinets are fibre enabled a lot of people will still be denied access?

Sky: While enquiring about Sky Q , the Sky sales rep said they could request a "new line connection" which might allow me to be connected to a Tullyallen exchange. Basically, I do not believe her. But would be interested to hear if anyone had tried going down this route? Have you been moved from a 1.6mb connection to 24mb connection?

I have emailed Fergus O'Dowd and Declan Breathnach this morning.

I'd be grateful if a few more of you could drop them a line too.

Hi can you PM me their details and I will contact them

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Babyspice13

I sent a screenshot of my speedtest to Fergus O'Dowd, explaining that trying to run a business with this service is impossible. I heard nothing back :mad:

Download: 0.50Mbps
    Upload: 0.06Mbps

IMG_0499_zpsnhmqvmrs.jpeg

I sent a screenshot of my speedtest to Fergus O'Dowd, explaining that trying to run a business with this service is impossible. I heard nothing back :mad:

Download: 0.50Mbps
    Upload: 0.06Mbps

IMG_0499_zpsnhmqvmrs.jpeg

That is appalling! Where in the village are you? Digiweb metro might not be too bad during the daytime. It is at night between 7 and 11 its about 2mbs.. Not great for watching TV but might suit you a bit better?

Hope you get sorted. Thanks for writing btw, if enough of us keep nagging you never know what will happen..

That is appalling! Where in the village are you? Digiweb metro might not be too bad during the daytime. It is at night between 7 and 11 its about 2mbs.. Not great for watching TV but might suit you a bit better?

Hope you get sorted. Thanks for writing btw, if enough of us keep nagging you never know what will happen..

I'm not in the village. I'm in Mellifont, which adds to my problem. No sign of any wired broadband coming my way and no possibility of a direct view of any masts for wireless. I've been onto all the different service providers and they all say the same thing. So I need to wait for someone to put wires down our road which is unlikely :(

Is this correct?

Eircom / Sky / Vodafone : People in Townley Manor, Allen Wood and Gleann Alainn have their own exchanges so are getting 24mbs?

Eircom / Sky / Vodafone: People in Arda Raith, Cnoc na Greinne, Morning Star, School area are all on the Trinity Street exchange - 1.6mbs

Digiweb - 42:1 contention rates (I confirmed this with their Tech Support). 1.5-2mbs at peak times.

Metro - People seemingly very unhappy with speeds. Over subscription of the service.

Eircom will not move people off the Trinity Street exchange and put them on any exchange in Tullyallen as it is against Comreg rules? So even if the cabinets are fibre enabled a lot of people will still be denied access?

Sky: While enquiring about Sky Q , the Sky sales rep said they could request a "new line connection" which might allow me to be connected to a Tullyallen exchange. Basically, I do not believe her. But would be interested to hear if anyone had tried going down this route? Have you been moved from a 1.6mb connection to 24mb connection?

Your review seems spot on, I fall into the trinity st group and dont think we will ever get decent broadband

• Advertisement

it would also be worth people contacting the national broadband plan at the dept of communications, they may be able to advise on plans for the village broadband@dccae.gov.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm not in the village. I'm in Mellifont, which adds to my problem. No sign of any wired broadband coming my way and no possibility of a direct view of any masts for wireless. I've been onto all the different service providers and they all say the same thing. So I need to wait for someone to put wires down our road which is unlikely :(

Who are you with? My dad lives on Mellifont Road and while the broadband is bad he still gets a few mb, it's with Eircom

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Who are you with? My dad lives on Mellifont Road and while the broadband is bad he still gets a few mb, it's with Eircom

It doesnt matter who you are with if you are on a certain exchange.

Its the sales staff who call door to door who tell you their company makes a big difference but it does not. Completely depends on what exchange you are connected to and they wont move you off it if it is the Trinity Street one. I have been trying for 9 years.

I'm in Gleann Alainn. My broadband ranges from 1meg to 4.5. But 4.5 is very rare. I'm with Sky.

Can you PM me on contact details for Fergus O Dowd too please?

The least we all can do is contact them. If we have time to read and post on this thread, we have time to contact them.

Is anyone in Gleann Alainn able to get 24meg?

IvoryTower wrote: »

I'm with Eircom too

Will we have fibre in 2017?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭nathughes

Any have Vodafone come about the SIRO... we are supposed to be getting it apparently its set up in the area.

nathughes wrote: »
    Any have Vodafone come about the SIRO... we are supposed to be getting it apparently its set up in the area.

I contacted them and they said it’s not in Tullyallen but stay in touch as it ‘may’ be released !

• Advertisement

I contacted them and they said it’s not in Tullyallen but stay in touch as it ‘may’ be released !

In other words, it won't be.

Advertisement