Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing Licence Online

Options
  • 21-03-2021 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

Why oh why i am being restricted to trikes when renewing my A learner permit?

79.03 keeps appearing! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is your IBT expired? I've never heard of anyone not being able to renew an LP because of that, though...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Is your IBT expired? I've never heard of anyone not being able to renew an LP because of that, though...
    How would they know? IBT has nothing to do with your licence.

And you couldn't renew your IBT without a licence :pac:

Well 79.03 is trikes, can't think of any reason why that would be. All I can suggest is give the NDLS a ring.

Life ain't always empty.

Well 79.03 is trikes, can't think of any reason why that would be. All I can suggest is give the NDLS a ring.
    Sent an email off. Will update if any reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Effectively the cat A with the 79.03 notation refers to a holder of a full B category which effectively means a car-derived trike; cat B covers four and three wheeled cars. This is a kind of equivalent category to the 'A 79.03' in the UK. All it's doing here is confusing people because it's not being explained correctly and I've had loads of people tell me they "got a full bike licence when they renewed". They don't state that because in bureaucracies, the left hand doesn't really care what the right hand is doing.

I'm a little out of touch but to my mind, this is probably just an error on the part of the minimum wage employees in the call centre that processes all NDLS applications for the whole country.

• Advertisement

Yeah the other half got A with 79.03 last time she renewed. Never ridden a bike or trike in her life!

Life ain't always empty.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm a little out of touch but to my mind, this is probably just an error on the part of the minimum wage employees in the call centre that processes all NDLS applications for the whole country.
    I'm doing it online through the road safety portal. Must be a programmer or requirement error. Probably just said enable that for all and lets forget about actual bikers.

Wonder what comes up on a Full CAT A.

To update, i had to book an appointment in person.

No acknowledgement of the error whatsoever in correspondence with NDLS/RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Effectively the cat A with the 79.03 notation refers to a holder of a full B category which effectively means a car-derived trike; cat B covers four and three wheeled cars. This is a kind of equivalent category to the 'A 79.03' in the UK. All it's doing here is confusing people because it's not being explained correctly and I've had loads of people tell me they "got a full bike licence when they renewed". They don't state that because in bureaucracies, the left hand doesn't really care what the right hand is doing.

One important factor to remember is the B (Car) Licence date. IF you held a full B licence up to 19th January 2013,then you continue to have an entitlement to drive a TRIKE on that B class,ie: NO class A 79.03 will appear on your renewed Licence.

However if your full B was accquired AFTER 19/01/2013 then upon renewal you will need show a Class A (79.03) as the appropriate class for a TRIKE.
    Tricycle: Where a person had an entitlement to the category B full licence prior to 19 January 2013 that also covered them to ride tricycles. They still retain that entitlement. All first full licences issued for the category B from 19 January 2013 would not have this entitlement and therefore they must take out the appropriate bike category to ride a trike. The appropriate bike category will depend on the cubic capacity of the tricycle.

The Moped situation is even clearer (!)
    Moped: Where a person was issued the category B full licence prior to 21 October 2006 that also covered them to ride mopeds and therefore are entitled to the moped category AM provided the category B licence has not expired for more than 10 years.

It really is administration for it's own sake,something which the RSA and The NDLS do VERY well indeed !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Which permit are you renewing? If its your 3rd is it possibly because you haven't sat or booked your test yet? Total guess.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Which permit are you renewing? If its your 3rd is it possibly because you haven't sat or booked your test yet? Total guess.
    It is 3rd and test was failed/rebooked in august. (thanks to an electrical fault :mad:)

I would like to see if ANYONE else can renew their permit on https://myroadsafety.rsa.ie/home/login

AlekSmart wrote: »
    One important factor to remember is the B (Car) Licence date. IF you held a full B licence up to 19th January 2013,then you continue to have an entitlement to drive a TRIKE on that B class,ie: NO class A 79.03 will appear on your renewed Licence.

Exactly the other way around in my wife's case. She has a full B since the 90s, never had any class of A learner permit, got A 79.03 on the last renewal. It's gone from an implicit trike entitlement to an explicit trike entitlement. I think it was always stupid to give a partial entitlement in another class without having anything written in the licence.
    However if your full B was accquired AFTER 19/01/2013 then upon renewal you will need show a Class A (79.03) as the appropriate class for a TRIKE.

Well there are trikes and there are trikes. Trikes that lean, trikes that don't, trikes with motorcycle front end and controls but car engine and transmission, trikes with car front end and controls but motorcycle engine and transmission... to have them all under the same licence (and give a full licence for a leaning trike to someone who's never ridden a bike or leaning trike in their life) is just daft.

Life ain't always empty.

Well there are trikes and there are trikes. Trikes that lean, trikes that don't, trikes with motorcycle front end and controls but car engine and transmission, trikes with car front end and controls but motorcycle engine and transmission... to have them all under the same licence (and give a full licence for a leaning trike to someone who's never ridden a bike or leaning trike in their life) is just daft.

As I said above, there are car derived trikes (3 wheeled cars) and there are motorcycle derived trikes (three-wheeled motorcycles). A purpose-made trike that leans, in my humble opinion bears more characteristics of a motorcycle than a car so should not be included under A-79.03.

The legislation the RSA attempted to mimic was the UK A-79.03 but, also IMHO, they just didn't understand it thus causing it to become even more convoluted. Darn it, I just explained it simply, why can't they?

Bureaucracies NEVER get to the stage where they have everything humming efficiently and if they did, they'd be out of the job.

Well if it has a front end like Easy Rider and a rear end off a VW, is that bike-derived or car-derived? ;)

Life ain't always empty.

Well if it has a front end like Easy Rider and a rear end off a VW, is that bike-derived or car-derived? ;)

I bet the guy that would claim that this is a Harley is the same guy who'd still try and drive it without a helmet.

There's still grey area and the RSA do nothing to address any of it, IMO.

I bet the guy that would claim that this is a Harley is the same guy who'd still try and drive it without a helmet.

Why not? There's no question that you can drive a three wheeler Morgan with no helmet. Two wheels at the front vs. two wheels at the back, what's the difference?

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement