Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel rebuild vs New

Options
  • 09-04-2021 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I have a 2009 Specialized Langster which I adore. It has been around the world with me and is running almost completely stock parts the whole time.

My LBS in Dublin fixed a seized reax axle on it about 2 years ago. The mechanic claimed a bearing in rear axle had cracked causing some internal damage and that the wheel might need to be replaced eventually, maybe 1-2 years.

The wheel is still running fairly well but I wanted to check the price of a replacement. The shop quoted me 120.00 for a new rear wheel for the bike (no mention of a brand). And they said they don't usually rebuild wheels as it costs too much.

Is that the case? The wheel must be a pretty decent one if it has lasted this long with no issues, would I not be better off keeping most of it and having it rebuilt?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Check the wear on the brake track first before making a decision. The rim might not be worth reusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Check the wear on the brake track first before making a decision. The rim might not be worth reusing.

What kind of wear am I looking for? I actually didn't have a rear brake on it for a long time. Maybe only 3-4 years ago did I put one back on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah; you may be OK on that front so. just hold a straight edge up against the brake track. it'll be worn concave if there's noticable brake wear, and the extent of how concave it is will tell you how bad.

i can kinda see the LBS's point though - if you do need to replace the rear hub (not sure if that's your intention though), by the time you go to the cost and effort of replacing the hub and the spokes, why put an old rim on?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

You would be hard pressed to get any rear hub for less than €120 and to be honest an 11 year old rim is hardly worth salvaging I would be very surprised if the spokes aren't seized so probably a few of them will be hard to get out.

ah; you may be OK on that front so. just hold a straight edge up against the brake track. it'll be worn concave if there's noticable brake wear, and the extent of how concave it is will tell you how bad.

i can kinda see the LBS's point though - if you do need to replace the rear hub (not sure if that's your intention though), by the time you go to the cost and effort of replacing the hub and the spokes, why put an old rim on?

Yeah I just want to get that issue sorted before it gets worse later. Their suggestion was to replace rather than rebuild as the later would cost me too much.

I've never really bought a replacement wheel, so no idea of the price. The 120 quid seemed a bit expensive at first (I saw a replacement wheel on my friends commuter and it just looked generic/cheap tbh).

benneca1 pointed out the price of a hub to be close to 120. I didn't know it would cost that much! So yeah, I fair price I suppose. I do trust the LBS not to over charge, but of course wanted a second opinion!

• Advertisement

generally speaking, there's not much trade in cheap hubs i suspect (because of the cost and effort of building a wheel negates the savings) so they're probably not easily sourced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

You'd get a hub delivered for €50 or so
    https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s171p1132/FORMULA-Track-Hub-rear

You would then either have to rebuild wheel (€30-50) and probably have to replace whatever spokes(and get the right size) had nipples seized and you are still left with an old rim on your wheel.

All things being equal single speed/fix rear wheels are easier to build well (in spite of hub being 10mm narrower) in comparison to the dished wheel on a 10/11 speed wheel and the inherent problems that brings with uneven spoke tension between ds and nds so you could give building it a go to save money if you were so inclined

If it was me I'd just buy a decent new wheel.

If you ride it fixed(and thereby very little rim wear) and keep bearings serviced it should last a long time again

just not from spa cycles!

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s171p1132/FORMULA-Track-Hub-rear

You would then either have to rebuild wheel (€30-50) and probably have to replace whatever spokes(and get the right size) had nipples seized and you are still left with an old rim on your wheel.

All things being equal single speed/fix rear wheels are easier to build well (in spite of hub being 10mm narrower) in comparison to the dished wheel on a 10/11 speed wheel and the inherent problems that brings with uneven spoke tension between ds and nds so you could give building it a go to save money if you were so inclined

If it was me I'd just buy a decent new wheel.

If you ride it fixed(and thereby very little rim wear) and keep bearings serviced it should last a long time again

I don't ride it fixed anymore, but thanks for the advice.

I had also considered converting it to an internal hub gear, I know there are some available for 120mm spacing. Would you know anything about that?

Advertisement