Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Is Friends of Clare football the fundraiser for footballers?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The International Clare Football Supporters Club is the footballers one

https://twitter.com/clare_football
    https://www.facebook.com/InternationalClareSupportersClub/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Clareman wrote: »
    The footballers have been doing their own thing for years. What I can't understand is why they aren't focusing on the present players, surely it'd make more sense to have every member of the panel to say something rather than former players.

That's simple marketing. Who has the money? Brian Lohans generation right through to Ger Loughnanes generation. Who do you appeal to? 18 to 30 year olds or the older generation who may have the finances available?

https://www.clubclare.com/

Club Clare launched for 2021, have to say I'm very surprised at the timing of the launch considering all the media coverage about the finances in Clare, they've made it clear that the current setup is a lot better ran so hopefully they'll raise the amounts needed.

I think that is the point.. get it out there with the clean break made.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Figerty wrote: »
    That's simple marketing. Who has the money? Brian Lohans generation right through to Ger Loughnanes generation. Who do you appeal to? 18 to 30 year olds or the older generation who may have the finances available?

True, I guess I'm more interested to seeing what's going to happen in the future and where my money is going to, I don't understand the Flannan's jersey being so prominent behind Bugler either, I know he's a teacher there but the video is promoting Clare hurling and camoige, I'm probably just paranoid especially as Bugler's last involvement at intercounty level was trying to knock Clare out of the championship.

True, I guess I'm more interested to seeing what's going to happen in the future and where my money is going to, I don't understand the Flannan's jersey being so prominent behind Bugler either, I know he's a teacher there but the video is promoting Clare hurling and camoige, I'm probably just paranoid especially as Bugler's last involvement at intercounty level was trying to knock Clare out of the championship.

I wouldn't hold that against Bugler., we could have said the same about a lot of managers and selectors who were up against their own club or county.

Flannans is a bit over played.

I thought Flannan's was a bit much considering that Tulla are doing such great work. Anyway doesn't matter what they put up they'll be getting my €50, I'm a gluten for punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I thought Flannan's was a bit much considering that Tulla are doing such great work. Anyway doesn't matter what they put up they'll be getting my €50, I'm a gluten for punishment.

More Clare hurlers have Harty medals at the moment won playing with Ard Scoil Ris.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    More Clare hurlers have Harty medals at the moment won playing with Ard Scoil Ris.

Yeah, Flannan's won their first Harty in 15 years so that's something but surely the school will be getting their own funding or are Club Clare going to be funding the schools as well? Then again mentioning the importance of supporters to the 92 Footballers when looking for funding for hurlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭bonzothedog

I'd safely say with the likes of James and Caroline O Connor, Brian Lohan being involved and an audit committee etc you'd be safe enough with this venture.
    It is for Clare hurling and camogie, I doubt that Flannan's will be funded at all from this.

Unless we see Jamesie going around with a new crown and fur coat of course and a new roof ahem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

r83ep5H.png

that ads in this week's clare champion. anyone know what's taht about?

r83ep5H.png

that ads in this week's clare champion. anyone know what's taht about?

No idea, malicious intent obviously by who ever sent the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Huge move with Lohan bringing in Loughnane as a selector, no one saw that coming. Ger might be just what they need. Sure, he’s a long time gone from the intercounty scene but has kept in touch through his media work, an excellent man to read a player’s capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭supernova5

Huge move with Lohan bringing in Loughnane as a selector, no one saw that coming. Ger might be just what they need. Sure, he’s a long time gone from the intercounty scene but has kept in touch through his media work, an excellent man to read a player’s capabilities.

haha, I know its early in the morning but you're not gonna catch us out that easily.. nice try though

supernova5 wrote: »
    haha, I know its early in the morning but you're not gonna catch us out that easily.. nice try though

A better one would have been to produce the Supporters club accounts from pre 2016!

• Advertisement

Fantastic to see that over 1200 people have signed up and supported Club Clare. Players and management must be buzzing with this, great to see it hit 2000 in the next few weeks!

I spotted the new Clare kit van out in Shield's over the weekend, nice Club Clare logo on it so I assume the supporters club are funding that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I spotted the new Clare kit van out in Shield's over the weekend, nice Club Clare logo on it so I assume the supporters club are funding that

We are so far behind though it ll take years to catch up to the likes of Limerick,Cork and Tipp.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

We are so far behind though it ll take years to catch up to the likes of Limerick,Cork and Tipp.

Absolutely, we're so far behind it could be argued that we're a division 2 team but I still think there's a year or 2 left in this team, the problem is this team all came up together so will all finish together and we don't have much coming through after them.

Absolutely, we're so far behind it could be argued that we're a division 2 team but I still think there's a year or 2 left in this team, the problem is this team all came up together so will all finish together and we don't have much coming through after them.

They've still the makings of a good team. Not long since Clare should have beaten Galway in a semi. Still they've slipped allright. I really think the young guys should be let loose in the league and let's see what we've got. We don't really know. The Clare club championship is not a good barometer anymore. Its a poor standard. Play Rodgers..iv great hopes for him..

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1383117629494231044?s=21

Superb article by Dalo. Hits the nail on the head with all his points. We are only continuing to go in reverse at the moment. Serious widespread changes are needed and quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

A terrific article by Anthony Daly (BTW I am not from Clare, but over the border in County Limerick). I am living in Clare 40 yrs+. He mentioned Martin Flanagan and how he was such a gentleman. I can vouch for that because I worked in the same factory in Shannon with Martin. We had great banter when Clare and LK were playing in a hurling game. RIP Martin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Survey for the strategic committee is up if anyone wants to have their say

https://wh1.snapsurveys.com/s.asp?k=161840245587

Another first round draw for both teams, Waterford for the hurlers and Kerry for the footballers, both get Tipp on the semi finals.

In case anyone is wondering the questions in the survey they are:
    1.What's your name
    2.What's your club
    3.Is your club dual, hurling only or football only? (Surely they could have gotten that from the club name)
    4.Is it an urban, next to urban or rural club? Again that could have been gotten from the club name, what happens if people disagree with each other, for example if some of Barefield say they are rural, others urban and others next to urban?
    5.What's your top priority out of the following 9 options
    Clubs development
    Commercial development of Clare GAA
    Communications development
    Development of new competition structures
    Governance and administrative structures
    Maximise the potential of all Clare GAA Facilities
    Engage more with the wider community
    Underage Games & Coaching development
    Player Development pathways and supports
    6.Why is it your top priority?
    7.What's your second priority out of the 9 options?
    8.If there anything else you think should be considered as part of the 5 year strategic plan?
    9.What are the biggest challenges to be addressed as part of the plan?
    10.As a member of a Clare GAA Club, what do you believe are the core values of Clare GAA that should be reflected in everything our players, volunteers and administrators do?
    I don't know what that question is supposed to achieve
    11.From a Football games development perspective, what should be the priority areas of focus over the next five years?
    12.Same question for hurling
    13.What initiatives would you like to see considered to maximise talent development of all Clare GAA players, from underage, adult club players to players representing the county?
    14.Do you have any suggestions or initiatives that should be considered to encourage more players to stay playing hurling and football as they progress through underage and into adult games?
    Surely this is the GAA player pathway https://learning.gaa.ie/playerpathway
    15. Have you visited Caherlohan?
    16. If you have visited there how would you rate it? Exceed, met or did not meet expectations.
    Considering the low expectations for it I would say it met my expectations
    17.Do you have any suggestions on how any enhancements or developments to the Caherlohan Centre of Excellence should be funded?
    18.Any additional comments?

I have to say that a month into the committees tenure that if this is best that they come up with I'm not holding out much hope for anything worth while to come out of it.

Welcome to the darkside Derrick!

No depths these goons won't plunge to to keep their snouts in the trough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Welcome to the darkside Derrick!

No depths these goons won't plunge to to keep their snouts in the trough.

Any hint on who sent the texts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Gael85 wrote: »

The more interesting question would be who sent them to that person to forward on!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭caddy16

Gael85 wrote: »

A member of the Wexford backroom team apparently.

• Advertisement

with Cratloe links? who's the Wexford backroom team this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

John Fogarty laying bare his allegiances on an almost daily basis. An absolute scrotebag. The paid up members of the Fitzy fraternity within the press are an obscenity. The lazy, filler flange written today is an example......

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40270250.html?type=amp

The truth lies somewhere in the middle between it all, I'm just hoping that we can produce it on the pitch, this is probably going to be the last year for a number of the players so need to make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

The truth lies somewhere in the middle between it all, I'm just hoping that we can produce it on the pitch, this is probably going to be the last year for a number of the players so need to make the most of it.

To be honest with you, I think the truth lies a long long way from the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

John Fogarty laying bare his allegiances on an almost daily basis. An absolute scrotebag. The paid up members of the Fitzy fraternity within the press are an obscenity. The lazy, filler flange written today is an example......

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40270250.html?type=amp

Woeful woeful woeful scutter. Fogarty should hang his head in shame.

BnB wrote: »
    To be honest with you, I think the truth lies a long long way from the middle.

John Fogarty needs to have input from Davy later in the year. I think it obvious from the article that he doesn't want to lift the lid on the underlying issues.

Buzzing to hear that Derrick Lynch is back with Clare FM as a sports journalist. He is a fantastic addition to the airwaves, I always rated him very highly indeed when he was at Clare FM from 2014 to 2018.

Looking forward to the Clare game on Sunday it will be interesting what team Lohan picks for the long trip to Antrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭caddy16

Buzzing to hear that Derrick Lynch is back with Clare FM as a sports journalist. He is a fantastic addition to the airwaves, I always rated him very highly indeed when he was at Clare FM from 2014 to 2018.

Looking forward to the Clare game on Sunday it will be interesting what team Lohan picks for the long trip to Antrim.

Ok Derrick.......

More fun and games down in the Bridge

https://www.facebook.com/718890624889855/posts/3689092951202926/?sfnsn=mo
    BREAKING NEWS: SHOCKING FORGERY DEVELOPMENTS IN SIXMILEBRIDGE GAA
    (Owing to a potential Garda investigation and looming court case names will not be mentioned at this time)
    Tonight the Village of Sixmilebridge is deeply divided and the club facing significant legal threat.
    Back around Christmas time there was a concerted effort by some at the Club to highlight long ended alleged abuse of the Clare County Secretary in media circles, to keep the fires of these false flames alight there was a “crazy” decision by a section of the Sixmilebridge Club “leaders” to draft a letter condemning the alleged long ended online abuse, but the letter was not backed by all at the club, so there was a vote ordered to see if the club would truly support this suggested letter, the result Of that vote was that the club did not back such a letter with a number of members highlighting that satire and calling out ineffective leadership online was NOT abuse, the club of Sixmilebridge voted to reject a letter being published on the clubs behalf.
    A club player from Sixmilebridge who broke this story to the Clare times stated “But it seems the Followers of the Laird of Sixmilebridge decided to release a letter anyway and falsely claim it was on behalf of the club and they then had it published in the Clare Champion , tonight it is revealed that on that letter was a number of signatures and its alleged now that some of the signatures were FORGED !”
    If these allegations are correct we must ask ourselves What sort of people forge signatures to make a point? And what drives people to forge signatures to make a point, it may indeed be a cult like issue.
    Two prominent members of the club have resigned over the letter saga and now its alleged that at least one man has admitted to forging signatures of the executive of the Club on that letter.
    Tonight another leading figure in the Sixmilebridge Club contacted the Clare Times to say “lads it’s a Cult like fascination some here have with one family in Sixmilebridge and by Christ it’s driving a wedge through the whole community and tearing the fabrics of a Great club apart, some of our families have strived for generations to make this club Great and now to see these fellas willing to allegedly break the law and forge signatures to defend the indefensible, it is truly shocking”
    The matter now is in the hands of the victims of the forgery and their Lawyers with the Garda potentially being called in to investigate this activity, Sixmilebridge GAA is tonight a club divided and a community being ripped apart at the seams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

https://twitter.com/dlynchsport/status/1390569017849655297?s=21

Obviously the big talking point is John Conlon at 6. Interesting, he has some attributes but his passing and vision would need to improve. One of the main criticisms of his game was that he always tried to take on the shot instead of giving the ball to the player in the better position.

Was hoping to see me debutants. Best of luck to Donnellan at corner back, he impressed me for the u20s last year.

Need a few lads to step up to the plate this year if we’re to do anything.

I also like that Diarmuid Ryan is finally (!) put in the half back line. And Aidan McCarthy too. You'd like to see those guys emerge as your long term starting wing backs.

Donnellan if he can come through after a strong season from Hayes last year can give us a young corner back duo too.

Very concerned about the half forward line again this year. Huge pity Duggan cant play (though I don't blame him in the slightest for staying in Oz)

Edit: I actually just realised thats Cian Galvin, not Colm Galvin at 8. I guess that just an intuitive mistake! But that's super to see him involved, a huge talent for us coming through imo.

Surprised Colm or his brother isnt on the panel. Also I was hoping to see Rodgers involved in some capacity.

Ah sure we're only jealous.

They ll probably still win the County Championship handily enough.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

That's a very strong team for the first round of the league against Antrim, I would have liked to have seen a bit more experimentation, we know what the likes of SoD/TK can do, why not give someone else a run, especially TK. As for Conlon centre back, that just does not make sense, he's 31, our best forward 2 years ago, an All Star forward, why try to make a centre back out of him? Especially as we have a great centre back playing full back.

That's a very strong team for the first round of the league against Antrim, I would have liked to have seen a bit more experimentation, we know what the likes of SoD/TK can do, why not give someone else a run, especially TK. As for Conlon centre back, that just does not make sense, he's 31, our best forward 2 years ago, an All Star forward, why try to make a centre back out of him? Especially as we have a great centre back playing full back.

I'd agree with that. What's the point in taking Tony Kelly and Shane O Donnell up to Antrim . Where are the Galvins and young Rodgers. I thought he'd be close to starting this year. We shall wait and see. Iv great faith in Lohan but youd have to worry about the backs..they ll leak an awful amount of scores. You could see that half back line hurling plenty of ball and their men each getting 4 or 5 points each.
    John Conlon centre back. Wow. Colm Galvin is centre back for Clonlara so Conlon doesn't even have that experience behind him. Why isn't he given a run out there? I hope it's a success but it's asking alot of Conlon at his age to adjust like that.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

I'd agree with that. What's the point in taking Tony Kelly and Shane O Donnell up to Antrim . Where are the Galvins and young Rodgers. I thought he'd be close to starting this year. We shall wait and see. Iv great faith in Lohan but youd have to worry about the backs..they ll leak an awful amount of scores. You could see that half back line hurling plenty of ball and their men each getting 4 or 5 points each.
    John Conlon centre back. Wow. Colm Galvin is centre back for Clonlara so Conlon doesn't even have that experience behind him. Why isn't he given a run out there? I hope it's a success but it's asking alot of Conlon at his age to adjust like that.

Kyle Hayes Wing back last year... the world of hurling has changed..

Drop a sweeper in and Conlon is the one taking the ball forward.

Figerty wrote: »
    Kyle Hayes Wing back last year... the world of hurling has changed..

Drop a sweeper in and Conlon is the one taking the ball forward.

Kyle Hayes is about 10 years younger than Conlon. I'm struggling to see how we're going to get the ball to bring it forward, looking at that setup it looks like we're going to bring the full & half back line back as much as possible to minimize the goal threats.

I think having Conlon at the edge of the square to take up a couple of backs while having TK/SoD rushing in to take the pass would be our best tactic, add Aron and Shanagher to that as a forwards threat and we have a forward line that would occupy a lot of teams, by bringing Conlon so far back we've no ball winners in the forwards so they'll be living off scraps.

Ah jaysus lads go handy.. just a bit of experimentation. Why so serious?

Ah jaysus lads go handy.. just a bit of experimentation. Why so serious?

It is was experimentation like seeing how we go without Kelly that'd be fine but this is an experiment to see how our best forward 2 years ago goes in a completely new position ~2 months out from Championship.

I think Lohan wants a strong spine to his team. We don't have a full back in the county so Cleary is the only feasible option. Davy Mc is brought to midfield to add size and athleticism thats badly required in modern intercounty hurling. Leaves very few options available at centre back.

The half back line was, to be quite blunt, absolutely atrocious against Waterford. All 3 players that started on that line are not playing. As bad as having little options in the half forward line is, as I've alluded to earlier, the Number 1 priority this season, was establishing a solid half back line. Like you cannot have what we saw against Limerick and especially against Waterford, lads allowed to solo for 40 yards, untouched, straight through the heart of the defense. You just can't at this level. Wexford was a outlier as we were afforded an extra defender by Davy's negative tactics.

Now whether Conlon can fix this is another question. but at least the half back line this weekend offers more size, athleticism and aerial ability. Its very important Lohan settles on a back 6 and goalie pre-championship. He didn't so that last year and he paid for it in the championship.

I don't know what to do with the half forward line to be honest. We have no centre forward. I think possibly Cian Galvin could play on one wing with Malone on the other side, When Davy Mc and maybe Colm Galvin returns.

• Advertisement
Advertisement