Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Moderators

Options
  • 29-03-2021 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

It may be a stupid question, then again we are in crazy times and if you don’t know, you don’t know and you have to ask.

Are all rifle sound mods screw on?, or, are there non screw-on mods available.

Reason for asking is simple, if one has an old rifle with a “dog knot” at muzzle and you want to keep the rifle original and not thread it. Additionally, some say if you alter the “dog knot” or thread it; it opens up the muzzle resulting in lack of accuracy.

UPDATE

I found the answer in another thread by PSXDupe. Go to link hereunder and look for Silencer adapter for non threaded barrel.
    PSXDupe wrote: »
    https://www.suppressor-thread-adapter.com/

These guys should be able to help, based in France. I've used them before, excellent service and quality

They do custom adapters.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

JP22 wrote: »
    It may be a stupid question, then again we are in crazy times and if you don’t know, you don’t know and you have to ask.

Are all rifle sound mods screw on?, or, are there non screw-on mods available.

Reason for asking is simple, if one has an old rifle with a “dog knot” at muzzle and you want to keep the rifle original and not thread it. Additionally, some say if you alter the “dog knot” or thread it; it opens up the muzzle resulting in lack of accuracy.

Interesting, never heard of this "dog knot" thing.
    Got a photo by any chance?

There are adapters which you can get which mount by set screw onto an unthreaded barrel, which might work?

Alternatively if you do decide to thread it and are concerned about the lack of accuracy why not get it re-crowned at the same time?
    Most who do one will also do the other.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

By "dog knot" I assume you are talking about a reverse taper or were the muzzel end of the barrel is considerably wider in diameter then the majority of the barrel. I think some air rifles have this feature.

Unless changing the harmonics of the barrel, surely the threading of the outer material of the muzzle shouldn't effect accuracy. Some moderators don't effect accuracy, (never noticed a difference with .22lr and subsand was lucky with my Wildcat P8 not effecting POI) while others will create enough of a difference to make the rifle unusable unless rezeroed when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JP22

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    Interesting, never heard of this "dog knot" thing.

Dog knot - when the last 2/3 inches of the muzzle is thicker than the rest of the barrel. Look at Anschutz and some early model Brno rifles.

By "dog knot" I assume you are talking about a reverse taper or were the muzzel end of the barrel is considerably wider in diameter then the majority of the barrel. .... Unless changing the harmonics of the barrel, surely the threading of the outer material of the muzzle shouldn't effect accuracy.

Its reported that when threading the muzzle (basically removing material) causes the inner bore at muzzle to open up a tad which may effect accuracy.

It was just one of those crazy questions we all have from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 schmidt223

JP22 wrote: »
    Dog knot - when the last 2/3 inches of the muzzle is thicker than the rest of the barrel. Look at Anschutz and some early model Brno rifles.

I bought an old .22 hornet Anschutz 1730 that from what I can tell was rebarelled in 1999. Dom Byrne threaded the barrel for me and have had absolutely no issues with accuracy.

Advertisement