Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marlmount

• 13-07-2011 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Anyone know anything about Marlmount on the Dublin Road.

I've been up there over the past three months and a lot of houses are shells.

I also found out the developer McGarrell and Reilly are under Nama.

The houses look nice but is there anywhere else in Dundalk/Blackrock with decent price detached houses new.

Also anyone know anybody living in Marlmount and any problems with the area, house quality,builders etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I know someone living there and they have no complaints.

The houses are a lovely quality build. Very good finish inside. The empty houses are kept in good condition and if you go there again, have a look around - it should have been obvious to you that the gardens and pavements etc are being very well maintained. I know plenty of completed estates that look worse.

Over the last year, a house sells every so often, and new people are moving in, as a result.

The neighbours are very nice and friendly too.

I don't know if you have kids but The school in Haggardstown got a big extension a few years ago and has a good reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Thanks for that, was talking to the estate agent earlier the prices the developer is looking for is not realistic in this day and age.

I looked at Carlinn Hall looks like it was hit with a cruise missile so yes well kept.

Oh well let the negotiation begin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nwoscum

I'm one of only 2 owner occupiers in Carlinn Hall..
    Receivers have moved in and are blocking access to what is basically a building site I'm living on..
    Heating and hot water has been a mess since we moved in 2 years ago..sewage is also a mess. ...
    I doubt anyone would be interested in buying here but thought I'd warn you just in case you had some crazy notion.
    I'd love some neighbors but wouldn't wish our troubles on my worst enemy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

nwoscum wrote: »
    I'm one of only 2 owner occupiers in Carlinn Hall..
    Receivers have moved in and are blocking access to what is basically a building site I'm living on..
    Heating and hot water has been a mess since we moved in 2 years ago..sewage is also a mess. ...
    I doubt anyone would be interested in buying here but thought I'd warn you just in case you had some crazy notion.
    I'd love some neighbors but wouldn't wish our troubles on my worst enemy...

Hi nwoscum, If I remember correctly this place was supposed to have a district heaing system. Is it operational or how do you heat your house?

Just curious and it sounds like a lot of the services weren't finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭whufee

Marlmount is built by Mcgarelly Reilly group, they are quality builders, and I have a friend who bought a new house in that area, their detached houses are lovely, I like their kitchen most. Check their website, they have tons of pictures.:D
    http://www.mcgarrellreilly.ie

• Advertisement

This I know but they are all now in receivership and controlled by Nama :eek::eek::eek:

And a bunch of morons wont decrease their prices to a realistic level so normal people can buy.

But yes the Built houses are nice I was in the Oak last friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nwoscum

@Cargo
    Yep is a district heating hot water system ... Very good when heating running problem is its a bit stop start and rarely gets serviced. Also as you would expect it seems to run sweet in the summer but goes down once a month maybe more in winter. Went down for few days when we had the snow last December not good. It never runs hot enough to have a bath ....showers only. Not good if you have kids....
    Lot of services never completed properly (sewage etc) even though they were signed off as completed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 launda

Just wondering what the oak was like, are the bedrooms small, how many bedrooms, they look well finished i would love to get a look inside, but are these houses up for sale at the moment,I would be interested in them and having a look around, any idea on prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 missdmm

Hi

I live in Marlmount and yes, as far as I can tell there is an "Oak" style house built and available for sale in Marlmount Place. No idea on prices though. I bought an "Elm" (5 bedrooms) in April 2008 for 410,000 and heard that the most recent asking price is 325,000.

It is a well kept estate, communal areas are grassy with trees and grass is cut regularly.

Dmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

325k for a well built 5 bed is a reasonable price. A 20% fall since 2008 also seems in line with what you'd expect.

Marlmount seems to be very well finished and in a great location.

• Advertisement

Houses in Louth have fallen 40 % +

Yes Marlmount is a nice location but what the developers are asking for in this market is beyond comprehension.

To build the Oak itself costs roughly €111k in total for labour,materials,vat and other costs.

I am in negotiations for one of the Willows as I dont need the 5 bedrooms, nice as they are just to big for me.

And also there are 3 vacant oaks, one of which is a showhouse, there is one on the way in to the right and one in marlmount place.

They are the better houses built in Dundalk as most houses where throw up.

Look at Belfield down the road the idiot developers still want €450k and said they will sit on them, so they might be doing that for the next 10 years greedy scum.

So I think I have 6 months of negotiations ahead of me but I've got the time :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Salvation wrote: »

+1 on this

I have recently purchased a house and calculations using my purchase price and previous sale prices+list prices I completely agree with Salvation based on those facts

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭cowsfriend

Have you looked at Stamanaran? It's just down the road from Marlmount and I think there are still a few detached houses at the front. They have dropped the price recently and they are a really well built house.
    www.andrewsconstruction.ie/stamanaran.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Check out myhome.ie, they have a 5 bed for €255K, so a big reduction on €410K in 2008, a 4 bed that looks in showhouse condition has also gone on the market for €225K and a 3 bed for €170K
    stamanaran houses look really good as well as posted by another poster here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

Yes Marlmount is a nice location but what the developers are asking for in this market is beyond comprehension.

To build the Oak itself costs roughly €111k in total for labour,materials,vat and other costs.

I am in negotiations for one of the Willows as I dont need the 5 bedrooms, nice as they are just to big for me.

And also there are 3 vacant oaks, one of which is a showhouse, there is one on the way in to the right and one in marlmount place.

They are the better houses built in Dundalk as most houses where throw up.

Look at Belfield down the road the idiot developers still want €450k and said they will sit on them, so they might be doing that for the next 10 years greedy scum.

So I think I have 6 months of negotiations ahead of me but I've got the time :o

Be careful if considering Marlmount. The houses are of very poor quality. Poor plumbing etc. Trust me I live there!

Anyone know anything about Marlmount on the Dublin Road.

I've been up there over the past three months and a lot of houses are shells.

I also found out the developer McGarrell and Reilly are under Nama.

The houses look nice but is there anywhere else in Dundalk/Blackrock with decent price detached houses new.

Also anyone know anybody living in Marlmount and any problems with the area, house quality,builders etc ?

I live in Marlmount, area is nice and quiet but houses are of poor build quality. The wood work is pretty rough and plumbing is atrocious.

The water system is pressurized and if you use the shower or taps it sounds like theres a small plane taking off upstairs.

Poor drainage in garden also. A little drop of rain and the back garden is a swimming pool.

Are they really under Nama? How can you check this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    Are they really under Nama? How can you check this?

All developers under NAMA are listed on the NAMA site. Google it and you'll find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 twiggy1974

This I know but they are all now in receivership and controlled by Nama :eek::eek::eek:

And a bunch of morons wont decrease their prices to a realistic level so normal people can buy.

But yes the Built houses are nice I was in the Oak last friday.

Its a shame because its a nice place to live.

twiggy1974 wrote: »
    Its a shame because its a nice place to live.

Its not a nice place to live actually. The houses are of crap quality. Maybe the showhouses were built to a better standard but the one I live in is not.

-Bad Plumbing.
    -Poor floor boarding - all the boards are loose
    -Extremely Poor heating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

You should try looking in rathmount, There are some fine Quality houses left in this estate. all these houses are well built and the estate is well maintained. Its still in the same Parish as Marlmount, and the area is completley finished unlike marlmount...:)

You should try looking in rathmount, There are some fine Quality houses left in this estate. all these houses are well built and the estate is well maintained. Its still in the same Parish as Marlmount, and the area is completley finished unlike marlmount...:)

I'll second this. Rathmount is not a ghost estate and the houses are lovely.

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

I heard many bad reports on Marlmount. I have a friend living there. House is like an Ice box apparantly

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donkeykingkong

Just seen this thread now.
    I live in Marlmount the last 2 years with my child and partner and we love it. We bought one of the Willows.
    It's a shame to hear people bad mouthing the quality of the houses as I have had no problems and find the house is finished to a high standard. I have spoken to most of my neighbours and they feel the same. The house is warm all the time and heating only needs to be on for a short period to warm the house which holds the heat well.
    I have friends who bought in Rathmount the same time as I bought and they cannot fault the estate although it is a big estate and the houses are well overpriced as they are on the blackrock post code. Marlmount although only across the road is part of haggardstown.
    Just over a year ago there was approx 30 houses empty in the estate and now there is only about 15 which is great to see.
    The people living here are really nice aswel and I feel a good community atmosphere in this estate which is always well maintained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Out of interest does anyone know what the houses in Marlmount and Bellfield are selling for now? (or looking for :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sportfanatic

Hi all, sorry for rehashing an old thread, but has anyone any updates on Marlmount?

My girlfriend and I are about to start looking for a place to buy and Marlmount was one of the areas that looked good on DAFT.

There's been some positive and negative discussions on the estate on boards in the past, and we're just trying to get an accurate view on things like the build quality, anti social behaviour, value for money, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Hi all, sorry for rehashing an old thread, but has anyone any updates on Marlmount?

My girlfriend and I are about to start looking for a place to buy and Marlmount was one of the areas that looked good on DAFT.

There's been some positive and negative discussions on the estate on boards in the past, and we're just trying to get an accurate view on things like the build quality, anti social behaviour, value for money, etc

I see on the property price register number 4 marlmount sold for 255,000 last august, presume a 5 bed?! On daft it says sold for 337,000!!
    A 5 bed, no 7 is advertised at 264,950

• Registered Users Posts: 24 strawberry1

hiya, just stumbled across this, i have been living in marlmount for many years, never had any trouble worth mentioning, the house is the warmest house iv lived in, easy to heat, hot water on demand, the neighbours around us are very friendly, we've seen the estate being built, and bought up around us- it is a peaceful and well maintained estate, the builders are very approachable if you have any issues, Best of luck in your house hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lostsoul01

Anyone know about heating system in Marlmount?? Are shower run off boiler or electric?? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

Showers are run off the boiler.
    Its a combo boiler so you have hot water as soon as you turn on the tap. This is the upside to the system.

The downside to the heating/water system is that the water pressure is low so needs to be supplemented by means of a very loud pump which has leaked, blown valves twice in the four years that i have been there, causing flooding to occur.

Also despite there being a pump you can't have both showers on at the one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭R11

Gonna bump this. We're hoping to buy early next year, and Marlmount looks nice. The Elm is the one we're interested in, can anyone give updates on the quality of houses/plumbing etc. Seems to be mixed reviews here, some good some bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 strawberry1

R11 wrote: »
    Gonna bump this. We're hoping to buy early next year, and Marlmount looks nice. The Elm is the one we're interested in, can anyone give updates on the quality of houses/plumbing etc. Seems to be mixed reviews here, some good some bad.

Newer houses seem to be built a little differently (windows, doors etc) maybe knock someones door in the new builds and see what they say 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 7 D1NewHome

I’m looking to purchase one of the new homes currently available in the Marlmount development in Dundalk, Co.Louth. Does anybody know the area or indeed the Marlmount estate. Any feedback on the houses in Marlmount is very much welcome or indeed the area around Marlmount. Thank you.

Advertisement