Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Estate agents Drogheda

• 19-01-2021 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭

Looking to sell my Drogheda Home and was wondering if anyone had any positive experiences with estate agents. Used Sherry Fitz to buy and they were fine, just seeing if there was anyone more recommended!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LOU76

After recent experience I can highly recommend one local company and seriously warn you off one. I believe we’re not allowed name specific companies on these forums but could PM the info if you to you. Let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Such an easy business to scam people. The process should be much more transparent.

Can't recommend anyone but I do know of a couple to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Scotty # wrote: »
    Such an easy business to scam people. The process should be much more transparent.

Want to PM me with the ones to avoid?!
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Scotty # wrote: »

Just curious to know - scam in what way? Inflated prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Yes.

My sister was moving back to Ireland a couple of years ago with her hubby and kids and decided to rent while house hunting.

They found a child minder for the kids and in a conversation with the child minder the house hunting came up and the child minder said she knew a woman selling a fixer upper in the town. The house was in probate and the family were eager for a quick sale.

The child minder put the seller in contact with my sister and they met up to look at the house. The advertised price was €190k but the seller knew it was a stretch as it needed so much work. It also had an asbestos roof on the garage (€9k to dispose of).

Anyway, sister offered €150k and seller was delighted but asked that they go through the estate agent as she'd already paid him and may as well have everything done right.

Sister called the estate agent there and then and said they'd like to offer €150k. Estate agent tells her there is an offer of €175k on the house. Sister, a bit confused, clarifies that they are talking about the same house, and estate agent says yep, €175k already on the house she'd need to offer €180k. Sister explains she's at the house with the owner and owner is not aware of any offer and has agreed €150k. Estate agent goes ballistic, "HOW DARE YOU APPROACH THE OWNER!"

Owner calls estate agent to clarify €175k offer. Estate agent admits there's no such offer.

Sister get's house for €150k but had there been an offer my sister would have gone to €180k and maybe the €190k asking.

This is a well known independent EA in the area.

Ok his tactic might be great if you are the seller but it's dishonest and possibly illegal. I'd imagine it's rampant in the industry.

Sister's since sold the house for €280k.

I'm looking to upgrade myself at the moment and it's a daunting process. You just have to take estate agents at their word. It should be more transparent process with some kind of register of offers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement