Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacement for Air Force One.

2»

Comments

smurfjed wrote: »
    The aircraft was purchased by HRH Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz AlSaud, it was supposed to be HZ-HMS1 (HMS2 is a A340) he died before it was delivered, the aircraft was ferried to Jet Aviation in Basel where i last saw it in March. It has no interior, but there aren’t too many buyers of $400,000,000 aircraft with the ability to spend that same amount on the interior.

Considering that the E4 would be completely retrofitted, the additional weight of the test aircraft may not be an issue.

The sooner we break the dependence on Middle East oil the better. Sickening stuff spending $800 on a private plane considering what they are doing to their Yemeni neighbours (unicef describe it as the largest humanitarian crisis in the world with 14 million people facing starvation)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

AMKC wrote: »
    What are E4s?

Where ever the POTUS is these aircraft follow.

I remember the then current president ( I think Reagan ) was visiting the UK back in the 80s , spent a happy day at Fairford where there was I think 6 KC10 , various other aircraft and an E4 and about 3000 spotters like myself .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

smurfjed wrote: »
    Considering that the E4 would be completely retrofitted, the additional weight of the test aircraft may not be an issue.

True. There are currently 4 E4s in service, so even with the undelivered Lufthansa and Saudi royal frames, that would still need another 2 ex passenger frames to be picked up. Lufthansa in particular are renowned for maintaining their aircraft to the absolute highest standard, but I wonder if they would take used airframes from a foreign country.

When I think of it, given their respective role, I’d think the E4 replacement having 4 engines is more important than the VC25s.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

In fairness I think the conversion to VC-25/E-4 configuration is almost a strip and rebuild of the airframe.
    The USAF would gave very little qualms over the costs required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    The sooner we break the dependence on Middle East oil the better. Sickening stuff spending $800 on a private plane considering what they are doing to their Yemeni neighbours (unicef describe it as the largest humanitarian crisis in the world with 14 million people facing starvation)

I think you have come to wrong place to peddle that stuff. You are in an aviation forum. So shiny jets costing billions is what we are interested in. We don't get into the politics here. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

And as predicted, Biden has scrapped the paint job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

And it appears that the Saudi jet was sold for scrap, ferried to the USA and purchased by Boeing. While it is a 12 year old plane, it has only test and ferry flight hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

What a waste.

Advertisement