Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for self employed, plus part time employee

Options
  • 19-10-2020 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Im wondering is it possible to get temporary public liability insurance for a part time employee if I where to take someone on for a day here and there throughout the year or would I just have to pay for the full year even if I only had them in a few days every month or two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

All liability policies are issued for a year. Also, what you are looking for is Employers Liability. These policies are what is known as 'minimum and deposit '. That means the full premium is payable, even if you cancel during the year.

What sort of trade are you involved in?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

All liability policies are issued for a year. Also, what you are looking for is Employers Liability. These policies are what is known as 'minimum and deposit '. That means the full premium is payable, even if you cancel during the year.

What sort of trade are you involved in?

Construction!

So basically I have to.pay full years insurance even if I only employ someone on a part time basis a few days here and there every month or two. Probably not even worth hiring someone then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

kingbhome wrote: »
    Construction!

So basically I have to.pay full years insurance even if I only employ someone on a part time basis a few days here and there every month or two. Probably not even worth hiring someone then

Yes. Insurance is based on annualised risk. You can't pick and choose when you want cover, especially at more hazardous periods. Also, insurers don't want to cost of administration just continually issuing short period policies.

Advertisement