Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Practice & Medical Card

Options
  • 05-10-2020 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭

Medical Cards are no longer accepted at @#€;&€ Dental, the Department of Health have failed to make any allowance to increase PPE requirements during Covid-19 and as a result for our patients safety we regret that we had to make the decision to no longer see patients under the Medical Card Scheme.

The above is part of a shocking email I received this morning. Whilst I have a little & only a little sympathy for the practice, it seems outrageous to take out their grievance on patients. I've been with this practice in a Midlands town for a number of years, who have two premises, it never struck me they were short of a few bob. I mainly avail of care through my PRSI contributions but have had to avail of my full medical card on one occasion and its a godsend to be honest.

Not sure what next but likely have to go to a new practice, if one will accept new patients.

I think it's a disgrace on both sides, both HSE nd the practice. I wondered has anyone else come across this.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I haven't come across exactly this but recently a friend wanted to change his dentist due to his own retiring. I rang my dentist on his behalf asking if she was taking new patients and the first thing that was said "Yes, but not if he is a medical card holder"!!

I didn't ask why as it didn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I haven't come across exactly this but recently a friend wanted to change his dentist due to his own retiring. I rang my dentist on his behalf asking if she was taking new patients and the first thing that was said "Yes, but not if he is a medical card holder"!!

I didn't ask why as it didn't apply.[/quote

Just extraordinary if it does become a pattern. I can get additional PPE costs and I doubt many would object to perhaps a surcharge of patients but it seem very harsh to exclude patients who happen to have a medical card which by its very need suggests the patient is disadvantaged because of a medical requirement or earning below a certain threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

While I understand your frustration op, there are reasons why this has happened in the Clinic you attend, and why it will happen with many others.

It is important to understand, your Dentist provides treatment under the medical card scheme on behalf of the HSE. They are effectively subcontractors, you can still use your medical card to receive dental treatment at any HSE Clinic, so check with the HSE as to where the local public Clinic is.

The fees paid by the HSE for dental treatments is very low compared to the going rate private fees. The reality is that the cost of providing dental treatments has increased due to PPE costs and reduced patient numbers that can be treated. The HSE want dentists to continue to provide treatments on their behalf, yet they will not contribute to the increased costs in providing it. As a result, many Clinics are now strongly considering exiting the scheme and focusing solely on private patients in reduced numbers.

You might think that people would not mind paying a little extra to cover PPE costs, from colleagues I have spoken to who raised prices to cover the costs, patient responce was very mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Dav010 wrote: »
    While I understand your frustration op, there are reasons why this has happened in the Clinic you attend, and why it will happen with many others.

It is important to understand, your Dentist provides treatment under the medical card scheme on behalf of the HSE. They are effectively subcontractors, you can still use your medical card to receive dental treatment at any HSE Clinic, so check with the HSE as to where the local public Clinic is.

The fees paid by the HSE for dental treatments is very low compared to the going rate private fees. The reality is that the cost of providing dental treatments has increased due to PPE costs and reduced patient numbers that can be treated. The HSE want dentists to continue to provide treatments on their behalf, yet they will not contribute to the increased costs in providing it. As a result, many Clinics are now strongly considering exiting the scheme and focusing solely on private patients in reduced numbers.

You might think that people would not mind paying a little extra to cover PPE costs, from colleagues I have spoken to who raised prices to cover the costs, patient responce was very mixed.

Appreciate the response and understand the practice's dilemma, just a Shame as it was an excellent dental practice.

Advertisement