Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid 19 payment

Options
  • 03-05-2020 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all I'm working as a welder in louth I'm currently getting the wage subsidy sceme but my company is making some of us work full time for the covid payment 410 and for them to top us up to our normal wage what are my options is this right? Theres lads at home on the same money we have to work for can I refuse to work?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Fantastic attitude. If you don’t want to work hand in your notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gsxrcbrr1r6

godtabh wrote: »

It's not that I dont want to work I just dont want to work on the covid payment just to pay it back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Sounds like your company is trying to commit some kind of fraud!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

godtabh wrote: »
    I think you misread his post. He's working full time AND collecting the covid payment. His employer, instead of paying his full wage and taking him off the covid payment, is only making up the difference.

OP, you could report him to Revenue and/or social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/covid19_temporary_wage_subsidy_scheme.html

Does this help? The wage subsidy scheme is to help employers keep some staff in work where business has been hit by the closedown. So it might be working correctly in the OP's case.

It's different to the pandemic unemployment payment, which is paying those who have temporarily lost their jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

gipi wrote: »
    The wage subsidy scheme is to help employers keep some staff in work where business has been hit by the closedown. So it might be working correctly in the OP's case.

It's different to the pandemic unemployment payment, which is paying those who have temporarily lost their jobs.
    The OP is on this scheme but he's working full time. It doesn't apply to him. It only applies to people put on short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Scotty # wrote: »
    The OP is on this scheme but he's working full time. It doesn't apply to him. It only applies to people put on short time.

Not to mention that there will be PAYE, PRSI and USC payable on the 410 and its not taken at source

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Hi all I'm working as a welder in louth I'm currently getting the wage subsidy sceme but my company is making some of us work full time for the covid payment 410 and for them to top us up to our normal wage what are my options is this right? Theres lads at home on the same money we have to work for can I refuse to work?

That's how the wage subsidy works.

The employer claims it for staff regardless of whether the staff member is working or told to stay at home due to covid.

The key is the employer has lost income but keeps staff on the books.

If you think it's unfair that you're working fulltime while others get to enjoy free money for doing nothing ... That's the reality of social welfare payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭dccaresuckers

I have contacted workplace comission.
    If you get 410 your working hours should be according to your previous gross rate x hour. they can not force you to change the terms of your contract if you don't want, but yes to laid you off or short time week.
    Short time week will be the following
    €410/20€ gross hour payment
    Then the result it's the hours you have to work
    Don't accept that changes in your contract or you are agreeing new terms for your contract of employment.
    Hope this may help you

Advertisement