Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just One #2 - Game thread

Options
  • 23-03-2020 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭

Right so, welcome to Just One #2

A recap of the rules for you all first:

To play the game, everyone on each team but one person is given a list of secret words for that round. Then everyone submits a 1-word clue to those secret words. The game mod removes any duplicate words and posts the unique clues and the one person from each team then guesses the secret words.

For each word the guesser gets correct, their team gets a point; if wrong, they lose a point. They can also pass on guessing a word, and the team's score is unchanged.

Example:
    Secret Word: Michael Jackson

Clues submitted:
    Thriller
    Moonwalk
    Superstar
    Dance
    Moonwalk
    Thriller

Thriller and Moonwalk were duplicated so would be thrown out and the guesser would be given the clues:

Superstar, Dance

They would then either guess Michael Jackson (1 point) or Taylor Swift (-1 point) or pass (0 points).

Here are some additional rules:

What clues are allowable

The clue must be composed of a single word.

Note: a digit, a number, an acronym, an onomatopoeia, or a special character are all considered to be words.

Example: 007 is allowed to help someone guess Bond, just like Riiiiiinnng or SMS are allowed to help someone guess Telephone, and $ is allowed to help someone guess America.

If an acronym is used, the secret word may not be part of it. For example, AT&T would not be a valid clue if the secret word was telephone.

Also, hyphenated words are totally fine, as long as their existence predates this thread (see more below). "yellow-haired" and "tow-headed" would be valid clues for blonde. "not-brunette" would not be a valid clue for blonde.

What clues are not allowable

A clue may not be identical or similar to any of the other secret words. For example, if "fox" and "fire" are two of the secret words, then fire is not an allowable clue for fox, and fox is not an allowable clue for fire.

In addition:

1) The clue may not be the secret word written in a different language. Calamari is not a valid clue for "squid."

2) The clue may not be from the same family as, or have the same root as, the secret word. Prince is not a valid clue for "princess." Washroom is not a valid clue for "bathroom."

3) The clue must be a pre-existing word. That is, you cannot make up words for the sake of the clue, but words that are not in the dictionary but exist independently of this thread are valid clues. Example - yumyumjuice would not be a valid clue for "alcohol."

4) The clue may not contain a significant component of the secret word, even if the root is different. Grass is not a valid clue for "grasshopper," and grasshopper is not a valid clue for "grass."

5) The clue must refer to the word itself, and not a homonym of the word or a similar-looking word. If the word is "sun," then daughter is not a valid clue. If the word is "mind," then Kaling is not a valid clue.

6) The clue must relate to the meaning of the word rather than, for example, how the word sounds or how many letters it has. Leather is not a valid clue for "weather," and three is not a valid clue for "egg."

When will clues be duplicated:

Clues that are too similar to other clues will be duped at the moderator's discretion. I will try to be consistent and apply the duplication rules in good faith. I may solicit advice on what I perceive to be close calls. I may make mistakes, but I will try not to, and I ask for your forgiveness if I do.

Fundamentally, when words appear similar, I am looking to see whether cluegivers have distinct concepts in mind that do not share the same root. For example, if the secret word is "lawn," then grass and grasshopper would be valid clues that are not duplicates, because their root is different (grass and hopper, respectively) and they are conveying different things. Likewise, Superman and Supergirl would not be duped, because the roots are different (man and girl) and they are referring to different things. However, bite and bitten as clues for "eat" would be considered duplicates of each other, as would highway and freeway as clues for "road." Again, there will be judgment calls, but I will do my best to be consistent.

The A Team
    LadySkunk
    Sephiroth_dude
    Deja Boo
    mustang shelly

Guesser: Electric Nitwit

Homer's Trigger-Happy Rebels and Mollywood Stars
    Homer J. Fong
    Trigger
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Reberetta

Guesser: Mollyb60

Four Men and a Lady

Kolido
    MicksJaguar
    sKeith
    BuileBeag

Guesser: Barney92

I'm a Four, Baby
    tusk
    Clarabel
    Necro
    kitten_k

Guesser: lassykk

Coming in from the rear
    Strawberry Milkshake
    Osh
    Quickbeam
    Sheridan81

Guesser: Aaronjennings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

And here we go with the first round

The A Team

Guesser - Electric Nitwit

Valid clues: Birdbath; Water; Trevi; Youth

Homer's Trigger-Happy Rebels and Mollywood Stars

Guesser - Mollyb60

Valid Clues: morgue; Mortician; Bride; dismember

Four Men and a Lady

Guesser: Barney92

Valid Clues: Amygdala; Pinky

I'm a Four, Baby

Guesser: Laasykk

Valid clues: nominal; Professional; Pay; Invoice

Coming in from the rear

Valid clues: Wrongdoing; Bin; confession; impious

Guessers have until 6pm tomorrow evening to make a guess or pass but the sooner everyone answers the sooner we'll move onto the next question

AND REMEMBER NO GOOGLE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Green&Red wrote: »
    The A Team

Guesser - Electric Nitwit

Valid clues: Birdbath; Water; Trevi; Youth

Fountain please G&R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Coming in from the rear

Valid clues: Wrongdoing; Bin; confession; impious

Let's start as we mean to finish. We may have entered through the back-door, but we intend on storming the front gate

Answer: Sin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

My favourite thing here is that I suggested Team 5 be called Coming In From The Rear, none of them objected, it's now their team name, and they just took it...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Fountain please G&R

giphy.gif

Let's start as we mean to finish. We may have entered through the back-door, but we intend on storming the front gate

Answer: Sin

giphy.gif

Bin was a good clue. Definitely wouldn't have gotten that one without it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Guesser: Laasykk

Valid clues: nominal; Professional; Pay; Invoice

Accountant please G&R

I hope its right as I am one

lassykk wrote: »
    Accountant please G&R

I hope its right as I am one

giphy.gif

Anyone else want to have a go at it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Told ye I'd be shìte at this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

giphy.gif

Fee?

fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Nice one Aaron. Bin was mine. Was thinking seven or deadly but decided to go a completely different route :)

osh wrote: »
    Fee?

That's what I was thinking as well. Definitely the hardest of the first-round clues IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 30,351 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

giphy.gif

Service?

Fee - Nominal was a very good clue

Its a tough game Laaskky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Whoever clued Bride, you sold it for me. Took a minute, but I think I've got there.

Guess: Corpse

*crosses fingers*

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Whoever clued Bride, you sold it for me. Took a minute, but I think I've got there.

Guess: Corpse

*crosses fingers*

giphy.gif

I'm heading to bed, would ye like R2 now or hold off until Barney has his guess?

• Advertisement

Whoop! Well done Molly!

Bride was my clue. I was very concerned that it might duplicate, but thankfully not!

I'm heading to bed, would ye like R2 now or hold off until Barney has his guess?

Wait until he's made a guess. No need to rush.

I would have said Frankenstein for that one, tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Fountain please G&R

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f292d4a077db0e773c42e6dfcf3ef31779d40815856&rid=giphy.gif

Go EN, go EN, GO!! :D

I would have said Frankenstein for that one, tbh

Hahaha, I can see why you'd think that. I was referencing the Tim Burton movie Corpse Bride, rather than Bride of Frankenstein. Thankfully Molly was more on my wavelength.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Go A team, We rock!

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mortician was mine.. woohoo Molly on the ball!

Brilliant Molly, well done! :D

I was tempted to go for 'exquisite' (as in Exquisite Corpse ) but I've no idea how well known that term is (I only discovered it because of an album named after it) so reverted to a "safer" clue ('morgue').

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

lassykk wrote:
    Told ye I'd be shìte at this

Don't worry about it, tis all a bit of fun :D

My clue was pay, probably not great anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

LadySkunk wrote: »
    giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f292d4a077db0e773c42e6dfcf3ef31779d40815856&rid=giphy.gif

Go EN, go EN, GO!! :D
    Go A team, We rock!

tenor.gif

Yes we are :D

Great clues team, made it very easy for me. Trevi was the real giveaway

Advertisement