Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyne Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Yea one similar in Youghal built recently cost €1.7m for 1.5km.

Youghal one...
    boardwalk.png

I think it would be great for wheelchair users but I don't see any other benefits. The first storm that comes along is going to fill it with sand. I also think doing it in anything other than concrete is a waste of time (and money).

I think the money could be better spent.

Scotty # wrote: »
    also think doing it in anything other than concrete is a waste of time (and money.

But if they built it with concrete, people wouldn't be able to set fire to it during the summer months.

the money could be better spent.

In fairness, that should be the slogan for Louth County Council. It should be the tag line on their vans and such.

Money for the work intended for the walk way on the north side of the Boyne at Mell still not drawn down.

https://droghedalife.com/news/odowd-blames-council-for-further-delay-on-200000-mell-walkway

Can't find a like to what was actually intended to be done there.

what was actually intended to be done there.

Not much, if I recall correctly. Think it was a few new benches really, is all. I remember Fergus O Dowd going on about it last year or the year before.

Think there was supposed to be resurfacing the path but then that got ditched as it'd be too expensive? I could be making that up, but i think it was something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0701/1232346-greenway-limerick-opens/
    Stretching 40km from Rathkeale to Abbeyfeale it represents a €10m investment by Limerick City and County Council.

Certainly more kilometres per million there! :)

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    Certainly more kilometres per million there! :)
    Built on top of the old railway line, handy!

1625085126421.jpg--_transformative__limerick_greenway_opens_to_the_public_following_multimillion_euro_upgrade.jpg

Built on top of the old railway line, handy!

1625085126421.jpg--_transformative__limerick_greenway_opens_to_the_public_following_multimillion_euro_upgrade.jpg

I must say, it looks super!

What about the Drogheda-Navan train line, is that in use these days? I wonder if that could be turned into a greenway?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kccamper

positron wrote: »
    What about the Drogheda-Navan train line, is that in use these days? I wonder if that could be turned into a greenway?

This line is still an active freight line used by Tara mines. Also, there are plans for a Boyne Greenway along the old canal from Navan to Drogheda. See here for details http://navancycling.ie/greenways/theboynegreenway/

Anyone know whats going on on the northern bank of the Boyne?, I was out along the greenway to Oldbridge over the last few weeks and spotted JCB's on the far side working at clearing trees and vegetation I'd say between the back of Loughboy and Boyne Hall estates.

I checked the LCC interactive planning map and can't see anything given the go ahead for there.

• Advertisement

I don't know anymore than...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 qba73

Save the Boyne group has a "Go with the Flow" event for 30th July.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/groups/442102326860894/

"Go with the flow. Let's do this , walk from Drogheda to Navan, walk Navan to Drogheda or from Slane either way. Let's salute our water friends on the day."

A massive portion of land was auctioned off along there a few years ago, I believe. Presumably it'll be getting built upon in the coming year/s.

Noticed in recent months along the Boyne to Oldbridge but closer to the park, the wall along the edge of the path and river has started to badly decay and crumble into the river in places. This could have a knock on to the path itself eventually. LCC or MCC to report this too? I've a feeling Louth along that part unfortunately .....

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Boyne Greenway Update – Dáil debate September 2022

The status of the Boyne Greenway was the subject of a recent Dáil debate between local TD Peadar Tóibín, Minister Eamon Ryan and Darren O’Rourke TD

Main points: See full debate in link above.

• Public Consultation Stage 2 (route selection) was originally due in Q3 2021 (over 14 months ago). MCC issued the draft phase 2 options selection report to TII in May. But TII raised several queries with the local authority, and it still back with MCC to resolve.
    • “TII expects that the emerging preferred option for the greenway will be published by the local authority in quarter 4 this year (*16 month delay). It is likely that the phase 2 gate review process will not be completed until early 2023.”
    • The main reason for delay is the project was been carried out as joint greenway and river navigation restoration project. TII only have input for the greenway part, and the navigation part is causing serious complications. They need to be separated.
    • Eamon Ryan confirms the Greenway should be extended not just to Trim, but to the Royal Canal Greenway, which would create an amazing network of greenways in the region (also connecting to the Kingscourt greenway).

To be honest, I wouldn't like to see the riverbank developed any further than it already is between Drogheda and Newgrange. It's walkable as it is while while still remaining pretty wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

I have done a lot of running around Oldbridge and up the tow path all the way up and under the bridge at Newgrange.

There is a section about 1.5 Miles from the tow path from Oldbridge that you wouldn't be able to get through during winter....way to difficult navigate

It's lovely during late spring and summer once the ground dries out and especially when you get to the other canal and over the bridge as if then opens out.

I've often wondered how they would deal with the difficult to navigate section.

I rarely came across people once you go past the steps that lead up to the old derelict house.

• Advertisement

Yep that's exactly where I wouldn't like to see developed any further. It's a beautiful spot to walk at sunset or just after, even in winter if you've a pair of wellies on. I often see otters, deer, jays, bats, kingfisher, little grebe's, foxes, sparrowhawks, and even a seal up that section. Animals that would likely not stick around if the footfall was much heavier than it already is. There's plenty of walkways along the Boyne already without going and joining them all up.

I have been up that way a number of times walking/jogging and once on the bike. Absolutely stunning place but a proper mud fest.

Also met a local person who said it flooded really badly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Only local knowledge will know that as it's virtually impassable from about 1 mile up from start of the tow path at oldbridge.

I've gone past that and met 6 inches of water due to flooding. I've trail runners, so I don't mind getting wet.

Those out walking with hiking boots won't want to go through that.

Even when spring comes as so few people gave ventured past, the path is all overgrown and difficult to follow.

Just to add when you go under the newgrange bridge, the trail path just ends about 300m further up.....a complete dead end

Yep, I tried getting past that "dead-end" and the stream only to find myself at someone's field with a house at the other end. 360'ed super quick. I was trying to get to the other path coming from Slane, but there's no way to do that without venturing onto the paved road. The area downstream from Staleen lock also gets flooded badly, I was told.

Yep, I tried getting past that "dead-end" and the stream only to find myself at someone's field with a house at the other end.

That would be Leck Farm. From the roadway you'll easily spot it from the big IRISH CRAFT SHOP signs they put out. It's also an AirBnB. The canal does actually continue through their land and there's an old grave yard, Leic Cemetery, right in the middle so I presume the 'driveway' up to the farm/cemetery is public but I don't know for sure. They've a few signs up at the 'dead end' stating that it's private property from there though I do see plenty of anglers along that stretch. Maybe they get permission from the Leck's? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

For info was asking MeathCoCo for update there last week, still same "A planning application has been made to An Bord Pleanala and we await their decision. We have no further update on the matter. Any queries can be directed to An Bord Pleanala quoting Case Number ABP-307652-20."

Just reading an objection to the above case, complete OTT nonsense IMO. Drug addicts, lives in danger, etc → https://www.meath.ie/system/files/media/file-uploads/2021-03/147_ABP-307652-20%20-%20Submission%20-%20Redacted.pdf

If done properly it could be a tremendous asset to the area and a boost to local tourism. I think it needs to run closer to the shore line though, not along the road as is the current plan.

Complete tosh from the writer of that objection, look at the route to Oldbridge. I'd say it's cleaner than it's ever been along there now, before they fully paved it a couple of years ago it was badly littered with cans and bottles and other crap. I see Louth CoCo regularly on it sweeping the leaves and emptying the bins along it. Well used by all kinds of people young and old and if I actually go as far as Oldbridge I'll buy a tea or coffee and something for the kids if they are with me as I'm sure many do as there are always people there IME.

I will be great to have the Mornington one too, if they build it people will use it for sure. Is it busy traffic wise morning and evening out that way? I wouldn't have said so but I'm only out that way on my bike weekends early or during the week mid-morning / early afternoon and it's never what I'd call busy. There are parts of that road that are prone to flooding though, and that can leave greenways greasy or slippery underfoot after the water recedes.

Majority of the folks who would use such a greenway would be from and around Drogheda - and of course will be "strangers of unknown repute" according to that person. Let's ban him/her from Drogheda as majority in Drogheda may not know this person.

Is 'local xenophobia' the term I am looking for? Typical NIMBY nonsense.

• Advertisement

Obelisk Bridge (aka Oldbridge) to be done up...

€1m budget. I wonder how long they'll need to close it for and what effect it will have on traffic on Trinity Street?

Advertisement