Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewood

Options
  • 24-09-2015 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi all, can anyone recommend a seller of firewood in the Laois area? Ideally someone who delivers and ideally free delivery!!! Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

gambit83 wrote: »
    Hi all, can anyone recommend a seller of firewood in the Laois area? Ideally someone who delivers and ideally free delivery!!! Many thanks

If you want heat and don't mind 'artificial' wood products, then I thoroughly recommend Megatherm heat logs from Telfords. A pallet delivered would be around e300. You won't find better value wood than that. Need to be broken in 2 or 4 for an open fire or stove. Try a pack 1st and see how you go. Easy store, clean, wicked heat. Plus add in the odd log (delivered from Telfords also) for a real wood smell.

I should add that Megatherm are pure oak, nothing else. Just not logs. 5% moisture versus probably 40-50% for what passes for firewood locally. Or 20% if kiln-dried or maybe maybe air dried. Unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

An Ri rua wrote: »
    If you want heat and don't mind 'artificial' wood products, then I thoroughly recommend Megatherm heat logs from Telfords. A pallet delivered would be around e300. You won't find better value wood than that. Need to be broken in 2 or 4 for an open fire or stove. Try a pack 1st and see how you go. Easy store, clean, wicked heat. Plus add in the odd log (delivered from Telfords also) for a real wood smell.

I should add that Megatherm are pure oak, nothing else. Just not logs. 5% moisture versus probably 40-50% for what passes for firewood locally. Or 20% if kiln-dried or maybe maybe air dried. Unlikely though.

will give them a try, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

An Ri rua wrote: »

I might try them. We use a good supplier for wood and intend to order coal nuggets from the supplier up north as well to burn together.

Looking at them online them seem to be beech and not oak ??

Did you not recommend eco fuel ones elsewhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I might try them. We use a good supplier for wood and intend to order coal nuggets from the supplier up north as well to burn together.

Looking at them online them seem to be beech and not oak ??

Our Logs are made from oak & Other Hardwoods

Where did you see beech?? I see beech kiln-dried alright. Other hardwood mentioned as ingedient of these megatherm logs alright, alongside oak, but no mention of beech itself.

Did you not recommend eco fuel ones elsewhere ?

EDIT: - My apologies to Claude. They ARE beech according to the Leinster Pellets (sole distributor) website. Its Woodireland and others that mention oak mix, which is misleading. It even says oak on the packet!!! Sorry.
    I did, but these are cheaper by e90 a tonne and almost the same Mj output. 19500 versus 20,000 per KG. These are also clean to handle and made in Ireland. Those who fail to review and improve themselves are destined for failure and stagnation :p:p

Edit: Update. Now e350 from Telfords due to 'exchange rates'. I thought they were an EU import however. I will clarify that. I would say much of a muchness now between them and Prima Rocket Blaze which puts out 20Mj/kg to Megatherm's 18.5MJ/kg. So E350+E12 delivery versus E383 delivered. And the energy difference.

Oil at E292 for 500L is looking more attractive now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Have 50 + pallets Free to take away Portlaoise area. Send me pm with phone no if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Have 50 + pallets Free to take away Portlaoise area. Send me pm with phone no if interested.

Advertisement