Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord. Hap scheme worth it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bcoll05 wrote: »
    I got married over Xmas & now he has the property solely to himself. I've properly moved out. We're arranging a proper lease now. He wants to go through Hap.
    Before doing a "proper lease", talk to an accountant about Capital Gains Tax if you're even thinking of selling the place in the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

I wouldn't be too hard on the OP. Not everyone peruses that likes of this forum everyday and therefore wouldn't be familiar with declaring income on rental properties, rent a room schemes, CGT, RTB etc.

OP definitely get hold of an accountant that is familiar with the process but the fact that it was your primary residence until very recently you shouldn't be too bad in relation to fines and back pay of taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

Graces7 wrote: »
    Good to have some really positive input

It can go well depending on the situation. I just think the risks outweigh the positives. You are taking a gamble with the inspection as you might be 3 years into a lease when they may or may not say you need to fix x and y.

This might be small but I personally find it annoying where every month i have two transactions for hap tenants. The main transaction from the government and the tenant paying a small top up as well. If you have one rental. You may not mind this but if you have more than one, it can be annoying especially if the tenant regularly forgets to send us small top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fol20 wrote: »
    It can go well depending on the situation. I just think the risks outweigh the positives. You are taking a gamble with the inspection as you might be 3 years into a lease when they may or may not say you need to fix x and y.

This might be small but I personally find it annoying where every month i have two transactions for hap tenants. The main transaction from the government and the tenant paying a small top up as well. If you have one rental. You may not mind this but if you have more than one, it can be annoying especially if the tenant regularly forgets to send us small top up.

So issue rent arrears notice as soon as you can.

https://ipoa.ie/rent-arrears-procedure/

ted1 wrote: »
    So issue rent arrears notice as soon as you can.

https://ipoa.ie/rent-arrears-procedure/

We are talking about under 50euro that one of my tenants forgets to pay on a regular basis.

It’s not worth my time to do a notice because the figure is so small and a tenant would be stupid to create so much hassle for themself over small money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

We are talking about under 50euro that one of my tenants forgets to pay on a regular basis.

It’s not worth my time to do a notice because the figure is so small and a tenant would be stupid to create so much hassle for themself over small money.

It is well for people who can afford to be blasé about €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Just curious, if its checked and the council see missed payments, would they stop the payments to the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

You'll have to pay penalties and interest on the undeclared rental income to Revenue (for starters). Also- you will have to bring the property up to current building standards- rather than the standards such as they were when the property was built- in order to pass a HAP inspection (which is being prioritised by local authorities).

A HAP inspection- is a wish list on the part of local authorities- which tends to mirror current building regulations.

So- it would include heating in every 'habitable room'.
    Outside ventilation in all habitable rooms.
    Safety windows for bedrooms (easily done in all fairness)
    Windows and ventilation for bathrooms
    Ventilation for cooking

etc etc

In general- the biggest part of this will be having Holemasters out for a day or two drilling ventilation in walls for you- unless you're unlucky enough to have a bathroom without a window, bedroom without a window, non-compliant wiring or plumbing etc etc

It could potentially be quite a bit of work.

First off- ring Revenue, confess that you haven't been declaring your rental income- and take the punishment on the nose.

I wonder how many houses have had their energy efficiency scalped by this requirement. Such a backward requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just curious, if its checked and the council see missed payments, would they stop the payments to the landlord?

The council don't care about the co-payment. If the tenant stops paying their share to the council the landlord finds out when they don't get the HAP payment with no ability to find out why due to data laws.
    I wonder how many houses have had their energy efficiency scalped by this requirement. Such a backward requirement.

My brother got the cavity insulation done on his house and there was a solid concrete pillar about 0.5mx0.5m beside the front door, to get the grant he had to insulate this section. Another part of getting the grant was to drill 0.15m holes in every room in the house and you can't use closable vents!

It is well for people who can afford to be blasé about €50.

Well, I’m just pointing out the fact that compared to others that have to pay at least 1500. This figure is factually less.

• Advertisement

Not sure about this aspect as I have continued to receive payments from the government. It’s more about the additional top up directly from tenant. I have also advised them to just set up a standing order so they can forget about it and it would automatically be sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

bcoll05 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.
    The only benefit on my side is I never upped the rent in a couple of years because the tenant was so good. Talking to an estate agent yesterday on this subject she said I should be getting 200e more per month. So if I was to join Hap I will increase the rent.
    Im more worried about the changes.
    - Drilling holes for ventilation even tho the house is breezy enough.
    - Wiring the smoke alarms.
    - Safety latches on windows.
    Has anyone had to go through these changes or what did they make you adjust/change?

They are not expensive upgrades you are talking about there
    I have battery smoking alarms, no wire - 20 euro in Woody's

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Has anyone been asked to install 'heat sensors' as opposed to 'smoke alarms'?
    They're not massively expensive- but wiring the sensors together is a bit of a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

I received a letter Monday saying my tenant is now on hap. I completed the forms some weeks ago.

I've 2 issues with it.
    1) the rental figure is about 150pm lower than what tennant is currently paying. Does the tennant pay the balance themselves?
    2)they state rent is paid last weds of month in arrears. the lease is for rent to paid 2nd of month for month in advance. Can they change the terms of the lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Well, I’m just pointing out the fact that compared to others that have to pay at least 1500. This figure is factually less.

That doesn't mean that €50 is to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Jasper79 wrote: »
    I received a letter Monday saying my tenant is now on hap. I completed the forms some weeks ago.

I've 2 issues with it.
    1) the rental figure is about 150pm lower than what tennant is currently paying. Does the tennant pay the balance themselves?
    2)they state rent is paid last weds of month in arrears. the lease is for rent to paid 2nd of month for month in advance. Can they change the terms of the lease?

1) the figure is probably their limit for their circumstances. HAP allows tenants to top up their rent, which previous schemes did not, so yes, your tenant is responsible for paying the difference or you follow normal rules for non payment of rent
    2) this is a problem with HAP. Your tenant needs to bring themselves up to date (and I believe they can get assistance with this), otherwise they are permanently in rent arrears. Either the tenant or HAP should be making a payment to you to cover the in between period that regular HAP does not cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Del2005 wrote: »
    The council don't care about the co-payment. If the tenant stops paying their share to the council the landlord finds out when they don't get the HAP payment with no ability to find out why due to data laws.

My brother got the cavity insulation done on his house and there was a solid concrete pillar about 0.5mx0.5m beside the front door, to get the grant he had to insulate this section. Another part of getting the grant was to drill 0.15m holes in every room in the house and you can't use closable vents!

Mad stuff! I checked with an expert in ventilation and he explained there is no building regulation requiring cooker hoods to have external ventilation on all houses. Its probably required on naturally vented houses but certainly not if there is mechanical ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Barelysane2019

I went through this last year as a landlord. Paperwork was simple and they processed the application extremely quickly. As others have mentioned, you just have to apply through revenue online for a tax clearance cert which is quick and easy too (although I had already been paying income tax).

I find it fantastic and I’m blessed with really good tenants. Rent is paid straight into your account on the last Wednesday of every month. Its a great relief at crazy times like this knowing that your rent will be paid by the council.

I understand that there are downsides in that if the tenant stops paying the council they stop paying you but it sounds like you have a good tenant too and wouldn’t have to worry about this.

The inspection happened very quickly, within a couple of months. I got a list of things to correct - bathroom extractor fans (which were working but they hadn’t turned on properly), fire blanket which was there but not mounted correctly and the requirement for a clothes dryer which I argued about as there was no space for one and the tenant specified that they didn’t want and wouldn’t use one. I had supplied an air dryer already.

Hopefully this helps to put your mind at rest. There’s a lot of negativity around HAP so I thought I’d share a positive story.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Looking for HAP Top Up from Housing Section. Hi folks. I have tenants in my house and recieve 625 a month payment from HAP. The house is in Westmeath. As they were good tenants I never looked for a payment from them. I hear there is an additional 20% top up from HAP as rents have gone up year on year. Average rent in the estate is 850 a month. I'd rather not ask the family in the house for additional payment if there is a top up available from Housing section. Any advice please.

Advertisement