Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Determining structures Management Company are responsible for

Options
  • 30-07-2019 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

In the apartment I am in there is a box bay window that the hinge on the window is broken. The frame is wooden and badly designed with plastic used to hold a pivot in place so its inevitable it broke from normal wear and tear along with being nearly 20 years old. The bay window is attached to the floor above which is a separate apartment - like in this image:
    https://photos-a.propertyimages.ie/media/7/2/1/2996127/411c316a-0bc0-4692-aca3-374d3aba451c_l.jpg

The management agents straight away said the windows are the responsibility of the owner but I am not sure it is the case here since the structure between the two floors of the bay window is all one so the bottom bay window is effectively holding up the top bay window the way a wall is.

Putting in new hinges will mean touching the frame of the bay window that effectively is connected to the apartment above. That's why I find it hard to believe that such a shared structure is not managed by management company and thus agents.

Also as the windows are badly designed and don't use standard hinges it looks like there may need to be some work involved in retrofitting proper hinges but that will mean more intrusive work on the frame.

I'm not sure the management agents looked into it sufficiently and just gave a canned response which would make sense for all the other windows in the apartment as you could take them out and they couldn't affect the apartment above.

How do I go about finding out for sure what is and what is not considered "owned" or managed by the management company and not the owners?
    Would it be in the purchase contract or somewhere else or would is it a case of what makes sense to be a common structure e.g. a wall.

I don't want something to happen whereby my resolving an issue affects another apartment.

Comments

Advertisement