Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

23 June 2018 Boxing cards

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Even McGuigans thought the scores were wide. I think 8-4 would have been acceptable so a 5 point swing with the knocdown. I think further out starts getting a bit iffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Watching the post fight interview, Taylor's right pupil is blown, he'll be going to hospital I would think, unless that eye is normal for him which is unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

walshb wrote: »
    Postol I thought won 2/3 rds “clear,” for me. But there were 9/10 rds there that he wasn’t clear for me. No problem anyone giving him rds from the close ones, but I wouldn’t say giving the vast majority to Taylor is wrong..

Post the obvious rds Postol won? I think a fair few rds, more than 8 were very close..

9/10 close rounds that went to the home fighter like they always do in these cases. It's completely wrong and unfair on Postol who fought out of his skin.

Judge actually managed to give Taylor the 7th where he was clearly buzzed. Postol's best round.

DgaPO8xVQAEQFOv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

Morrison J wrote: »
    Judge actually managed to give Taylor the 7th where he was clearly buzzed. Postol's best round.

DgaPO8xVQAEQFOv.jpg

That is actually unbelievable. That judge has no business marking a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

9/10 close rounds that went to the home fighter like they always do in these cases. It's completely wrong and unfair on Postol who fought out of his skin.

But where does it say you can’t award close rds ALL to home fighter? If the judge believes he deserves them shouldn’t he award them? Otherwise we have unfair judging, no?

Overall a closely fought fight. Postol deserved some rds. Taylor deserved some rds, and quite a few could have went either way. I think that is fair.

walshb wrote: »
    But where does it say you can’t award close rds ALL to home fighter? If the judge believes he deserves them shouldn’t he award them? Otherwise we have unfair judging, no?

Overall a closely fought fight. Postol deserved some rds. Taylor deserved some rds, and quite a few could have went either way. I think that is fair.

If this was a once off people wouldn't be so up in arms about it but it isn't.

It's the fact you never ever see the away fighter get the benefit and win wide in a close fight that's the problem. There's a clear problem with biased judging in boxing. GGG-Canelo was the same. If GGG had been the home fighter in that fight he probably would've won by 6-8 rounds. As he was the away fighter all those rounds predictably went to Canelo who sneaked a draw because of it. It isn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not often you see a 10-10 round actually given

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If this was a once off people wouldn't be so up in arms about it but it isn't.

It's the fact you never ever see the away fighter get the benefit and win wide in a close fight that's the problem. There's a clear problem with biased judging in boxing. GGG-Canelo was the same. If GGG had been the home fighter in that fight he probably would've won by 6-8 rounds. As he was the away fighter all those rounds predictably went to Canelo who sneaked a draw because of it. It isn't right.

Well, no matter where you go there will likely be a very small bias with judges and the hometown fighter. That’s human nature. Always been that way. You can’t change that. Pro and amateur. In a close fight, expect the hometown fighter to be given a little extra attention. Not saying it’s right, but judges are human, not robots...this giving out about something that won’t ever change....?

I always tell my boxers that. To expect the hometown lad to maybe get the decision if it’s a closely fought fight. It has two affects...really impresses upon our lads that they need to give 100 percent and it prepares them should they lose a close fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Will Taylor enter the WBSS 140 tournament now? One can hope. Taylor v Prograis final would be fantastic.

Just confirmed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement