Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White Collar Boxing

• 20-02-2014 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi,

I am competing in a white collar boxing match next month. I'm new to boxing and the sparing was going well, perhaps too well. The other club represented has entered a new boxer in my weight catergory who i heard boxed competitively and believe me when I fought him I could tell.
    I did pretty well sparing with him as I threw everything I had at him, so as not to show how much I was really intimidated by him but TBH I feel a little un-easy if I had to fight him on the night, as I know he has a few more gears to go up.

I have a history of Judo and BBJ and KM and can handle myself resonably, but I have no boxing expiernce. Is this taking the P*** for the other club to put this guy in at this stage as a "ringer" or am I just being a bit chicken if I mention to the organisers that I'm not 100% with the idea of me or anyone else going toe to toe with this guy? Is this par for the course that actual lads that have boxed competitively in the past or are actually boxers take part in these type of events? If so any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Pull out, plain and simple. Nothing to do with being a chicken. Let some other sucker get in if he wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 NuddaIreland

To be honest if your feeling nervous in fighting the guy now, come fight night it probably will be a lot worse. My advice would be to mention it to the organizer's and see what the story is. There's no harm in being anxious in fighting a superior and experienced boxer.

How does one sign up for white collar boxing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

How does one sign up for white collar boxing?

You find out when there is an event scheduled. Call the person organizing and let him/her know that you are interested.....

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rondog

Its uusually the coaches who decide who fights who based on their opinion of the boxers level and capability.
    Someone who has fought competitively should NOT be fighting someone having their first fight in a WCB event.
    mention this to your coach and ask is there a possibility you could be fighting him as you don't think this would be an even match up.
    WCB is a great event,great experience.It should be fun(as much fun as you can have getting punched in the face).If you are unevenly matched then that is very bad form on the organizer/coaches behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

I did a couple of WCB shows over in England when i lived there.

The last one was ran by a promoter who also ran"Semi-Pro" (unlicensed) shows, any of the WBC lads that had to pull out were replaced last minute by this guys unlicensed boxers, some awful mismatches and very hard to watch.

so be very careful about the organisation of it and make sure you ask to be matched with a fellow novice.

Advertisement