Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmate issue

Options
  • 06-01-2012 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hi Guys

I am living with my girlfriend and on flatmate. She is very kind but a bit easy to be cold. for this reason she is leaving the heater ( electric ) at least 15 hours a day.. as you all know guys the electricity is not that cheap over.

Me and my girl friend were alone during 3 weeks as she was on holliday. we took a meter reading one week before she left, the day she left, and the day she come back. After calculation we found out that by the way she uses the heater we are going to get a 450 euros bill. however, when me and my GF were alone our consumption was only of a maximum of 90 euros for two month.

this is some number of units consumed per day to show example

with her and heater Day; 30,16 units
    Night; 21,67 units

without her day ; 3.05 units
    Night; 5.00 units

those numbers show cleary that she is spending so much ith the heater on.

what should I do? if one of you guys have some advices it would be grand..

best regards

benjamin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Buy her a jumper, tell her to wear it if she's cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭paulpd

Invite her into the bed with you and the Mrs?? You'd all be nice and warm then.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Why don't all three of you sit down and you just tell her the truth. Write down the figures you took, show them to her and ask her does she think it would be fair for the three of you to split the bill? That's a huge amount of money to fork out when it wasn't even you that was using the electricity.

On another note this should never have happened. You should have decided as a group how long heaters were allowed to be turned on and if anyone wanted to keep theirs on longer than they should have agreed to pay extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Can empathise here. House mate not happy with puttin on the gas heatin for most of the day tops it up with an electric convector heater in his room. We can hear its vibration coming on and off every 10 mins throught the wooden floors. TOTAL waste. even has the window open. and who is last to pay the bloody bills? Some people are born wasters. I asked him once what the vibration from his room was he said he didnt know!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

I don't think there is much you can do except move out if you are unhappy with the situation. The bills must be split equally between the three of you in my opinion. I'm firmly of the belief that bills should always be shared equally between all the residents a houseshare, regardless of who uses what.

Some people get colder more easily than others, maybe there isn't much your flatmate can do about it. She is entitled to be comfortable and warm in her own home as you are. I wouldn't expect her to sacrafice her own comfort.

The only exception would be if she was blatently wasting electricity by leaving windows open etc. or having the heat on when she isn't there. In that case, I would discuss it calmly and try and resolve the issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement