Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid tests in hospital

Options
  • 26-10-2020 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

If one needs to get a hospital appointment for investigation into something that's been bothering them for awhile now, do they have to get the coronavirus test before they'll be allowed in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was in Castlebar, Mayo, a few months ago and they checked for symptoms, , then did a test during the stay.

But regulations may well have changed since then, so best to ask in advance if it concerns you,

They wore masks punctiliously; nurses, drs, cleaners, porters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

kingbhome wrote: »
    If one needs to get a hospital appointment for investigation into something that's been bothering them for awhile now, do they have to get the coronavirus test before they'll be allowed in.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

US2 wrote: »
    Yes.

Is it the swap at the back of the nose or other tests

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Yes, nasal. The test isn't sore at all. A small bit uncomfortable for a split second.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Nose and throat swab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Triboro wrote: »
    Nose and throat swab.

Yep. Quite startling but blessedly swift...

Surely the hospital would advise though when making the appointment?
    I was almost admitted to the isolation unit as I was running a temp, but they knew where I come from there is no covid ; small quarantined island

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Is there no way around not having to take this test or is there another method of testing? I have no symptoms whatsoever, fit and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Is there no way around not having to take this test or is there another method of testing? I have no symptoms whatsoever, fit and healthy.

No. It will be hospital policy.

No covid test, no admission.

What is the big deal getting a test?

The hospital will organise it as part of your admission process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Will you be an inpatient, staying overnight? Most inpatients are tested for covid on the first day of admission (not before you turn up). However if it’s a day procedure or outpatient appointment you probably won’t have a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Will you be an inpatient, staying overnight? Most inpatients are tested for covid on the first day of admission (not before you turn up). However if it’s a day procedure or outpatient appointment you probably won’t have a test.

Not necessarily the case. I had a test 48 hrs before admission for a day procedure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement