Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daughter is 18 can we rent a room in her name

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Meeoow

If you're on 203 benefit, then your daughter will get course fees covered and 5,900 euros maintenance grant. That should cover her digs. Can she get bus to college. That is what most students have to do now, as Dublin accommodation costs are extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

Thanks everyone.....sorry I’m not the best at copy and paste
    We live in Donegal so will apply for SUSI.
    To the poster that said it stinks of HAP.....I’m sorry if that’s the impression you got.
    I’m a mother with two teenage children, on Illness Benefit, trying to LEGALLY work out how I can rent out a room in my vacant garage so that I can get my very hard working child to college whilst also feed and clothe another one. SIMPLE AS

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

JDMC2 wrote: »
    To the poster that said it stinks of HAP.....I’m sorry if that’s the impression you got.
    I’m a mother with two teenage children, on Illness Benefit, trying to LEGALLY work out how I can rent out a room in my vacant garage so that I can get my very hard working child to college whilst also feed and clothe another one. SIMPLE AS
    Work out how much extra income would put you over your means-tested threshold. That’s how much you can charge in rent through the rent a room scheme to maximise your income.

Best of luck with it. You’re in a tricky bind. Where is your daughter hoping to study?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Illness benefit is not means tested, so if the room has a door connecting to the house, it can be rented out and any reant up to €14,000 is tax free and has no bearing on illness benefit.

You may be mixing it up with being Medically assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Best of luck in your endeavours and never mind the critics. I hope it works out for you and your family. It would be very easy to give up. Stick with it and you will find things will fall into place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,704 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sounds to me like this young adult needs to be invited to figure out how to fund her own education.

Expecting college paid when mammy and daddy can afford it is one thing. Expecting it from a sole parent who cannot work due to illness is quite another.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Expecting college paid when mammy and daddy can afford it is one thing. Expecting it from a sole parent who cannot work due to illness is quite another.

There is nothing in that post to suggest the child expects it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sounds to me like this young adult needs to be invited to figure out how to fund her own education.

Ah, will you go away out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You get tax relief on your primary principal residence(PPR) on the rent a room scheme. Your daughter doesn't have a PPR as she's living with her parent so can't avail of the tax relief.

Is there much demand for accommodation in your area? I can't see much of Donegal having a shortage of houses to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

A disgusting ill-informed post.

I, and probably all others except you, read it as a parent looking at ways to ensure their daughter gets as best an education as possible to give their daughter the best chance in life to ensure their daughter does not have to depend on state handouts.

I say well done to the OP for looking at this option and as above, I think you can rent it yourself under the rent a room scheme without any affect to illness benefit

• Advertisement
Advertisement