Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council Estate: Neighbours Trees

Options
  • 01-08-2019 12:52pm

Does anyone know Cork City Council's approach to tenants and garden trees?
    Neighbours, of my parents, have allowed their line of conifers (think leylandii) hit 6-8 metres down the entire rear boundary.

Apart from the constant spread absolutely nothing will grow in my parents garden, and it's become a dark wasteland for metres away from the boundary.
    My parents are big into growing their own food with raised beds now getting absolutely no light.

The neighbour is "one of those" who absolutely no one has anything to do with, and he seems happy with that, but is the kind of guy who will power wash his walls and not care about the sh1te he blasts into other's gardens etc, or will spread roundup along his boundary and not bat an eyelid that spray hits across the boundary etc. Just a knob, to be honest, so absolutely no point talking to him anymore.

My parents are about to just give up and write off enjoying their back garden but I'm getting annoyed now. Why should they have to stop using their own garden and their veg growing because this guy is building a little island for himself. I'm not going down the route of killing his trees (not my place and illegal) but want to know what the council view might be on it.

Think that there may be a better chance here Vs privately owned properties.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

the trees dont matter a sh!te unless there is a TPO (Tree Protection Order) on them - which, if in someones council house garden, i can guarantee there is not. there is only 3 TPO's in the entirety of Dublin City Council's jurisdiction and none are just simple trees in a garden.

the council will most likely tell you it's a civil matter to be solved between you and the neighbour.

you are legally entitled to cut down anything that is growing over the boundary.
    if you happen to be cutting that, and miss and accidentally trim the entire tree, then oops.

check out this website for info too - will be helpful to you:
    https://treecouncil.ie/tree-advice/trees-law/

Advertisement