Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Maps wrong location... blue in the face

Options
  • 30-07-2019 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Mods, I'm not sure if this is best suited here but feel free to move...

Hi folks. We bought a house in September of last year. Let's call the address 123 ABC Park. Now, ABC Park which I live in, has another estate facing into it, let's call it DEF Park. The same house number for DEF Park is about 100 metres from my house.

When I put my address in to Google Maps, it takes me to 123 DEF Park and lists both houses as beside each other there. I've requested twice through Google Maps to change this, and both times heard nothing back. I got on to their support this morning via webchat to sort it, and got nowhere again. I even sent 3 screenshots - one of where the house is on the map, one of it on Street View, and one of the Eircode website listing it properly. Snippet of the transcript:

Google Cloud Support: Okay so this is an issue with Google Maps free edition, Unfortunately that is not supported by G Suite and as it is a free edition, it is not supported by any other team.
    Me: So.. it can't be fixed?!
    Google Cloud Support: We do apologize for the inconvenience.
    Google Cloud Support: This cannot be fixed via the free edition.

Now, you could say well just give everyone your Eircode. I do always input my Eircode when ordering stuff. My problem is that I run a small business from home and receive a lot of deliveries, from various drivers of various courier companies. Some of them still refuse to use Eircodes. A few months ago, around €1,500 of material was left for a couple of hours outside the other house, in broad daylight, outside the porch as the house was vacant for the first few months of us moving in (recently bought). After several phone calls to the couriers and then finally realising what happened, I got down to get it just before it lashed down and would have ruined everything on me. This has happened with smaller deliveries several times more.

Is there anyone that you would recommend I could escalate this issue with?

It seems like such a small stupid thing but I'm really struggling to get anywhere with them. Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's a free service provided as is. If the maps team won't help you well then you're out of luck.

It's up to couriers to make sure they deliver to the right address

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

a courier left €1500 of product outside a house without a signature?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

- bo - wrote: »
    Google Cloud Support: Okay so this is an issue with Google Maps free edition, Unfortunately that is not supported by G Suite and as it is a free edition, it is not supported by any other team.

That's very strange. I've corrected things on Google Maps before and, while it can take a very long time, it always happens. I'm not aware of any way to talk to the Google Maps team directly, I suspect you were talking to someone in a support team for a different product and they just didn't know what they were talking about (or what you were asking).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Sounds minor at first but that would annoy me in fairness. Maybe look into using somewhere like parcel motel for important deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I think they're saying Google Cloud support have nothing to do with Google Maps. Have you searched for the address in google maps and clicked on "report a problem with this address" directly? They're normally quick enough to correct errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

I had issues with Google Maps getting my address wrong I had to remove the old address and add the new one.

It took about 6 or 7 goes but got their in the end Also do you have an Eircode?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭- bo -

It's up to couriers to make sure they deliver to the right address

Fully agree. I've been in countless arguments with drivers but they vary from driver to company all the time. There's unfortunately still a small percentage that ignore Eircodes.
    a courier left €1500 of product outside a house without a signature?

Yep, a GLS courier. In 6 decent sized boxes for everyone to see. That argument's been had... rant for a different day!
    markpb wrote: »
    That's very strange. I've corrected things on Google Maps before and, while it can take a very long time, it always happens. I'm not aware of any way to talk to the Google Maps team directly, I suspect you were talking to someone in a support team for a different product and they just didn't know what they were talking about (or what you were asking).
    TheChizler wrote: »
    I think they're saying Google Cloud support have nothing to do with Google Maps. Have you searched for the address in google maps and clicked on "report a problem with this address" directly? They're normally quick enough to correct errors.

Yeah, I've done it through the support pages/steps twice in the past 8/9 months but just nothing's been changed. So I'm trying to get to speak to someone by phone/email to resolve it but it doesn't seem possible. I understood about the G-Suite thing but when I asked for an email contact to get on to separately she just repeatedly told me it's not possible to change.
    Brego888 wrote: »
    Sounds minor at first but that would annoy me in fairness. Maybe look into using somewhere like parcel motel for important deliveries.

Yeah I do use ParcelMotel a bit for personal orders but that's a decent shout. Though sometimes the size/quantities can be too much!
    I had issues with Google Maps getting my address wrong I had to remove the old address and add the new one.

It took about 6 or 7 goes but got their in the end Also do you have an Eircode?

Yep. Sent them screenshots of the house from the Eircode site with it listed.

Anyways thanks folks for taking the time to reply. I've tried another time there and may get third time lucky...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Open up Google Maps, and search for your address.
    Right click on the name, and choose "Report a data problem", and "Wrong address".
    The box that comes up should have your address filled out, and if you scroll to the bottom, it'll have a map. Click onto that, and drag the little pointer to the correct location, click "Done", then "Send".

They should have it updated pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

If you were to PM one or two of us the address, we could also do the above reporting which would get it fixed faster. Especially if someone was a Google Local Guide (like me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

TheChizler wrote: »

Yea, google cloud support sounds like a team that may provide support for G Suite customers.

Google maps probably obtain their info from a number of sources.. they buy maps, track behaviour of google maps users (incl wifi sniffing and location services), have their cars with cameras on them, and the automated feedback process from google maps (e.g. when you arrive at a destination and it asks "are you happy with your experience")... they don't provide individual customer service for several billion residential addresses worldwide. Understandable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Recently moved into a new estate. People have sent feedback to Google as deliveries/taxis have not found the location. Google will eventually sort the mapping out. Its not something anybody can demand be it business or residential.

The high value goods issue you had OP is a courier issue, not Google's.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

- bo - wrote: »
    Hi folks. We bought a house in September of last year. Let's call the address 123 ABC Park. Now, ABC Park which I live in, has another estate facing into it, let's call it DEF Park. The same house number for DEF Park is about 100 metres from my house.
    Consider naming your house. So instead of 123 ABC Park, it's now 123 "The Lodge" ABC Park. This may make your house unique, if the name is unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,727 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

GBX wrote: »
    Recently moved into a new estate. People have sent feedback to Google as deliveries/taxis have not found the location. Google will eventually sort the mapping out. Its not something anybody can demand be it business or residential.

The high value goods issue you had OP is a courier issue, not Google's.

You cannot demand it.

But support from a Google Local Guide or two can be invaluable.

To find them, look up local businesses in Google Maps on a desktop (not mobile devidce). Look a the photos associated with them. Google shows you who took each photo - their name and photo, but not their contact details. Now, look for those people on local forums, Twitter etc. Reach out (yuck ... hate that phrase) ... contact them and ask if they would help you to get a correction made.

It's not guaranteed, but a Level 7 or more LG can often get things fixed pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Level 7 here if you want me to give it a go.

Advertisement