Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
29-03-2013, 01:36   #1
4lovestreet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 29
Lithuanians emigrating to Australia

So I really hope someone can help me with this, I can't seem to get any accurate information online.

So I want to emigrate to Oz, I am Irish and my boyfriend is Lithuanian. He has been resident in Ireland for 5 years.

Through my research it seems that he is not eligible for a Working Holiday Visa. Does anyone know if he is eligible for some kind of visa that allows him to live and work in Oz?

Any help would be great.
4lovestreet is offline  
Advertisement
29-03-2013, 09:44   #2
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,171
Any other visa is open to all nationalities.

What skill does your BF have.
Zambia is offline  
(2) thanks from:
29-03-2013, 11:05   #3
mandrake04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lovestreet View Post
So I really hope someone can help me with this, I can't seem to get any accurate information online.

So I want to emigrate to Oz, I am Irish and my boyfriend is Lithuanian. He has been resident in Ireland for 5 years.

Through my research it seems that he is not eligible for a Working Holiday Visa. Does anyone know if he is eligible for some kind of visa that allows him to live and work in Oz?

Any help would be great.
If you want to emigrate you both would need a migration visa rather than a holiday visa.
mandrake04 is offline  
Thanks from:
29-03-2013, 12:10   #4
jackbhoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,268
If he has been resident in Ireland for 5 years could he not apply for Irish citizenship/passport? Might make it easier for WHV, otherwise it's skilled migration route as mentioned above...
jackbhoy is offline  
Thanks from:
29-03-2013, 14:53   #5
4lovestreet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 29
He has no formal skills. But there are plenty of things I'm sure he could do i.e. construction. He's works as a factory worker at the moment. Do skills have to be formal? Or want would be a kind of job for him to upskill on before applying?

I thought about the Irish passport thing but I'm not sure if he can get one. I seen alot of stuff about having to have ancestry in Ireland. Does anyone know for sure?
4lovestreet is offline  
Advertisement
29-03-2013, 16:15   #6
4lovestreet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 29
What*
4lovestreet is offline  
29-03-2013, 16:43   #7
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lovestreet View Post
What*
What Jackbhoy said.
catbear is offline  
Thanks from:
29-03-2013, 20:40   #8
Faolchu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lovestreet View Post
He has no formal skills. But there are plenty of things I'm sure he could do i.e. construction. He's works as a factory worker at the moment. Do skills have to be formal? Or want would be a kind of job for him to upskill on before applying?

I thought about the Irish passport thing but I'm not sure if he can get one. I seen alot of stuff about having to have ancestry in Ireland. Does anyone know for sure?
His skills would need to be formal qualifications I would think. There's also a difference between a naturalised Irish citizen ie one that claims citizenship after living in Ireland for a predefined time frame and an Irish national ie one born in the country. Both will allow you an Irish passport but your country of birth is recorded on them. Also the visa application process asks both citizenship and nationality
Faolchu is offline  
Thanks from:
29-03-2013, 21:19   #9
mandrake04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lovestreet View Post
He has no formal skills. But there are plenty of things I'm sure he could do i.e. construction. He's works as a factory worker at the moment. Do skills have to be formal? Or want would be a kind of job for him to upskill on before applying?
Yes there is a formal skill assessment where you have to show a degree or a trade qualification and depending on the occupation usually 2 or 3 years of post qualification experience hence why its called skilled migration. These occupations can be found on the Skilled Occupation List, also for the visa application there are IELTS English requirements, medical & X-Ray and Police clearance from all countries you have lived in the last 10 Years. The cost of the process is about €4000-€8000 depending on wether a migration agent is required.


.

Last edited by mandrake04; 30-03-2013 at 00:21.
mandrake04 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-03-2013, 00:16   #10
4lovestreet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 29
Okay. I seem to have got a good bit of information here. Thanks guys. Looks like the Skilled Visa wouldn't be an option for us! This is so annoying that he can't get a WHV. Looks like I have a big decision to make!!
4lovestreet is offline  
01-04-2013, 07:24   #11
Carlosd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 49
If you think you are sponsorable then get him out on a student visa and he can work limited hours. You just need to work hard at getting an employer impressed enough with to sponsor,


Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lovestreet View Post
Okay. I seem to have got a good bit of information here. Thanks guys. Looks like the Skilled Visa wouldn't be an option for us! This is so annoying that he can't get a WHV. Looks like I have a big decision to make!!
Carlosd is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet