Forum Closed  

20-12-2009, 19:21   #31
hinault

Travelling to Munich in Germany for Christmas and New Year.
Really looking forward to it.

I've been to Munich several times : great city, great people.
Advertisement
04-01-2010, 12:11   #32
Vero

@furet
erlangen is full of students, as the main part of the university is based there. because of that it's pretty expensive. if you're attending the FAU, check out if your classes take place in nuremberg or in erlangen, because commuting is pretty annyoing.
Thanks from:
06-01-2010, 19:54   #33

I will be moving to the Koeln / Bonn area in 6 weeks with work. Lived for 4 yrs near Bremen some yrs back, so not a huge change for me.

Can anybody recommend good areas to live in Koeln? looking for house and access to English speaking school etc
07-01-2010, 10:02   #34
hamsterboy

Hi All
My GF is moving to Kiel in February for a Ph.D.
Just wondering. Is there any internet providers or phone companies providing a "Pay as you go" 3G modem in Germany. I'd be surprised if there wasnt but I just wanted to make sure.
Would be nice to be able to Skype her as much as possible.

Regards

HB
07-01-2010, 13:31   #35
Dont be at yourself

hamsterboy, I think most phone companies offers a 3G PAYG broadband solution. T-Mobile have the fastest network and it covers all the big cities, but it's worth trying before you buy, if possible!

It might be worth getting DSL in instead though. I use Alice DSL. You don't need to pay line rental or have an active telephone line - though a line itself must be in your apartment.

A great thing about Germany is that if, for example, you are returning home, you may escape from things like phone/internet contracts without penalty.
Advertisement
07-01-2010, 13:33   #36
hamsterboy

Cheers,
Will be looking into those.

HB
24-01-2010, 22:03   #37
Alessandra

Ich bin in Muenchen
Thanks from:
25-01-2010, 14:56   #38
Tall Saint

Hi,
I'm planning to move over to Germany in May/June. My girlfriend is German and studying in Freiburg so that's where I'm headed. I've been there already and really enjoyed myself there so I'm looking forward to it.

The thing is, I've only started learning German in the past few months so I'm really only at a beginner level. Any advice on German courses while I'm there? I've obviously checked out the Goethe Institute, at the moment I'm doing online stuff with dw-world.de and using the Langenscheidt books at home. I enjoy learning it (thank god!) and I'm hoping to teach English while I'm over there.

Also, any advice on opening bank accounts there etc would be appreciated. I'm lucky in that my girlfriend can pretty much help me with most of this stuff, but I'd also like to know what are some of the most important things to do when I first get there. Registering there to pay taxes while I'm working etc. i really have no clue how to go about the latter kind of business.

Any help/advice appreciated. Sorry for the long post!
25-01-2010, 17:43   #39
jb-ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Saint View Post
Hi,
I I've obviously checked out the Goethe Institute,
Hi, Tall Saint, sign up with Goethe now if you can for a few weeks. it'll give you a good headstart for when you get to Freiburg.

I wouldn't get too stressed out about bank stuff, registering etc for the moment,
you can enjoy all that stuff when you get there.

Not sure how easy it is to get job teaching English without Acels, Tefl etc.

Best of luck
jb
Advertisement
25-01-2010, 18:39   #40
Tall Saint

Hi JB, thanks for that. I'd love to sign up to the Goethe but im in Cork and it would be a bit expensive for me to do it in Dublin before I go. I just had to pay for my TEFL course too and want to go over with as much as money as possible obviously in the event I dont get work in the first few weeks. My girlfriend's team-mate (she plays soccer) is an American student over there who does teaching part-time, and from what I've heard there are a few places in and around Freiburg looking for teachers, I'm only hoping I can get enough hours to get by on at the start.
I'm really excited about it but my biggest barrier at the moment is the language I guess.I looked into doing the Goethe course in Freiburg, think its around 900 euro or so, well worth it no doubt, but being currently out of work is really limiting my options i thought about their distance learning course, im not sure how much that is though, and i would much rather be in a class room.I will probably look into one-to-one lessons when I'm there.
(jesus another extremely long post,sorry!)

Last edited by Tall Saint; 25-01-2010 at 18:42.
25-01-2010, 23:47   #41
Micamaca

Try the local Volkshochschule in Freiburg. Much cheaper than Goethe and the standard can be quite good, sometimes excellent.

here's the link. Unfortunately, it is all in German but you www.leo.org to get you through!

http://www.vhs-freiburg.de/index.php?id=33

But they will speak English with you there when you sign up for the course. Good luck, am very partial to Freiburg myself.
26-01-2010, 11:04   #42
Tall Saint

That's great, thanks a lot for that Micamaca, much appreciated.
26-01-2010, 11:09   #43

Am I allowed promote another forum ? (Don't smack me if not pls!!!)

Really useful website/forum/resource for any foreigner living in or thinking of living in Germany:

www.toytowngermany.com
26-01-2010, 14:21   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by opinion guy View Post
Am I allowed promote another forum ? (Don't smack me if not pls!!!)
www.toytowngermany.com
No probs

I am making the big move to Erlangen on Monday. I've never moved abroad before and I'm just a little apprehensive. I'm leaving the Freundin behind unfortunately. Anyone have any experience on German trains? Should I get a first or second class ticket for my journey from Munich to Erlangen?
Thanks from:
26-01-2010, 21:58   #45
peasant

2nd class is perfectly adequate
Forum Closed