Forum Closed  

15-03-2013, 11:57   #1
Khannie
Make your dreams happen

Starting out - some questions

OK, so I'm going to give this a whirl this weekend. I have some questions. First off let me state that I wont be paying for the premium membership (until or unless I start doing this frequently)

Is there a nice map that I can look at that shows approximate cache locations near me? (edit: nvm, I found the "live map")

What kind of thing is suitable to bring along to leave in the cache. Can you give me an example?

Is geocaching.com a horrible money making racket? I found it incredibly irritating. Constantly trying to make me pay. Couldn't even order by difficulty (really a pre-requisite for your first cache) without upgrading.

Are there alternative sites to geocaching.com that I should consider?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-03-2013, 12:41   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khannie View Post
What kind of thing is suitable to bring along to leave in the cache. Can you give me an example?

Is geocaching.com a horrible money making racket? I found it incredibly irritating. Constantly trying to make me pay. Couldn't even order by difficulty (really a pre-requisite for your first cache) without upgrading.

Are there alternative sites to geocaching.com that I should consider?
Anything small and family friendly is usually the norm really. Keyrings and the like. Although, it's not a requirement to leave anything unless you want to take something.

If you look at the live map for your area, click on the caches that you are interested in, and it will tell you the difficulty level of the cache. No need to search really. I only use the search function when traveling outside of my own area. However, if you would like, you can PM me your general area and I will do a search for you if you want? I am a premium member, but only because a lot of the more interesting caches are premium members only.

Geocaching.com is the "only" official website that I am aware of. I wouldn't be trusting any others if I'm honest.

HTH.
Thanks from:
15-03-2013, 15:47   #3
Vaperus

No its not a money making racket
They have staff to pay.
The website to maintain
The servers to maintain.
Also premium caches does help protect the cache a little bit. prevents people not into caching finding caches and taking them

The Live map is what you want

some caches are tiny and only has room for the log book just :-)
Thanks from:
19-03-2013, 19:18   #4
Larianne

Don't forget to bring a pen!
Thanks from:
Forum Closed