Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sega Mega Drive: Which games were affected by 50hz slowdown?

• 20-08-2015 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭

I received my modded Mega Drive this morning complete with a 60hz switch on the back. This means I'm finally able to play some of the games that were really sluggish on the original console I had and I'm really happy with it, and now play the way they're meant to be played. It also removes the top & bottom borders that would slightly squash the picture into a stupid looking state, now they look like a proper 4:3 game

Here she is :)
    20548578420_df3efa3e91.jpg

I have a question though.

While Sonic the Hedgehog is the best known example of how a game is 20% slower on a 50hz signal, some of my games were barely different. Road Rash and NBA Jam played the same speed as they did in 50hz, (the proper screen size was the only difference) and it made me wonder;

Would anyone know where I can find a list of Mega Drive/Genesis games that are affected by 50hz? So far, the only games I've noticed that did improve in speed were Sonic 1, Flashback and Streets of Rage 1 & 2.

I'd be interested to see what other games suffered from 20% slowdown using 50hz.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It affects them all, apart from some later games that were PAL optimised (if you play PAL Alien Soldier for example in 60hz it plays faster than it should) - they're few and far between though.

The slowdown is just more noticeable in some games than others.

Just to be exact, its 17.5% slowdown :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As o1s1n said it will affect every game you play. Just switch between 50 and 60 hz while you are playing them and see how unresponsive the controls get in 50 hz and how awful the music is. I've yet to see a PAL game other than Alien Soldier that was optimised for 50Hz but I'd imagine only very late Sega games were, sega were quite good to European gamers unlike Nintendo.

You probably won't notice it with something like Road Rash because the frame rate is about 12 FPS anyway so it barely makes a difference, you'll possibly get a 1-2 frame increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A lot of PAL optimized games have picture roll issues too when you switch them to 60hz. Off the top of my head it happens with Sonic 3, Samurai Showdown 2 and Virtual Racing.

Kind of annoying as it means the only way you can actually play them in 60hz with no boarders is to get an NTSC copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Thanks lads. Maybe it's because I haven't sat and played it properly in ages and just relied on emulators to even get a 60hz experience.

Can't wait to start buying more games for it. I've been on a drought for almost 2 years and I have Micro Machines 2 on the way now :D

Advertisement