Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The deal with dealers? Want to avoid horror stories ...

• 19-06-2019 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Hey all. I'm looking for some advice. I'm thinking of getting a new car, probably something small, on PCP. I have some thoughts on what I'm looking for, but being new to all this, I'm actually terrified about being sold a pup at a dealer's. My budget is my budget and I won't want to be up-sold.

Maybe I just have the wrong idea about dealers these days?

What sort of things should I look out for? How do I know if the dealer is trustworthy?

I'll travel if it means getting a decent dealer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

PCP is only on new or nearly new cars. They are usually not cowboys. Just call into a few different brands and tell them your budget, deposit/monthly payments/ballon payment, and see what they offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭corks finest

sarkozy wrote: »
    Hey all. I'm looking for some advice. I'm thinking of getting a new car, probably something small, on PCP. I have some thoughts on what I'm looking for, but being new to all this, I'm actually terrified about being sold a pup at a dealer's. My budget is my budget and I won't want to be up-sold.

Maybe I just have the wrong idea about dealers these days?

What sort of things should I look out for? How do I know if the dealer is trustworthy?

I'll travel if it means getting a decent dealer.
    Word of mouth from a reliable relative, having bought and traded/ sold cars for the past 36 years( just for myself,and on occasion a family member) I can recommend 2 honest dealers in Dublin,one 2 in Cork and another in Cahir Tipperary,I've had 3 Japanese imports and can't recommend them highly enough, hybrid is the way to go for a low mileage high spec automatic reliable car,be it Toyota Prius/ Honda insight/ fit ,p.m. me if I can be of help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Word of mouth from a reliable relative, having bought and traded/ sold cars for the past 36 years( just for myself,and on occasion a family member) I can recommend 2 honest dealers in Dublin,one 2 in Cork and another in Cahir Tipperary,I've had 3 Japanese imports and can't recommend them highly enough, hybrid is the way to go for a low mileage high spec automatic reliable car,be it Toyota Prius/ Honda insight/ fit ,p.m. me if I can be of help
    So you'd actually trust friends or relatives over dealers? Is it better to know what you're looking for that way, and maybe looking online, before going into a dealership? Like I said, worried about getting the right car for me and not getting fleeced. Even still, I dunno why I'm scared of talking to dealers - any tips for dealing with dealers?

sarkozy wrote: »
    So you'd actually trust friends or relatives over dealers? Is it better to know what you're looking for that way, and maybe looking online, before going into a dealership? Like I said, worried about getting the right car for me and not getting fleeced. Even still, I dunno why I'm scared of talking to dealers - any tips for dealing with dealers?
    No u missed my point,,,,,I go to relatives etc to ask about their experiences etc,I'm not naive, anyone burnt by a dealer will tell the world FYI I always but from a dealer,out of approximately 40 vehicles I bought privately 3/3 times,SIMI DEALER ALWAYS,KADT 3 CARS- autodirect.ie/ Jim Carey Cahir co Tipperary,Darragh o Reagan Newcastle co Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

SIMI is basically a club, and nobody’s ever been thrown out. Just pay the annual sub is all they want, it’s no indication of quality.

OP if you’re buying a new car in PCP then it’s unlikely you’ll get into bother wherever you buy it.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    SIMI is basically a club, and nobody’s ever been thrown out. Just pay the annual sub is all they want, it’s no indication of quality.

OP if you’re buying a new car in PCP then it’s unlikely you’ll get into bother wherever you buy it.
    Was talking about 2nd hand obviously,,,, never had a new car,had a new pajero sport once for 2years,,,, business wallop ,back to bank

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you don't want to be upsold on anything then all you have to do is say you don't want something they're offering. You don't need paint protection packs, you don't need a bigger car than what you're looking at, you don't need a bigger spec model unless you actual do want more features.

Always haggle on the price, if they offer to throw on an option for free, there could be a lot more where that came from.

You're free to walk away and think about it, you're also free to price up the same car at another dealer for a better price. Give yourself time to have a proper look around, take a few test drives.

Buying a car is an exciting time, hope you have fun :)

What's your budget, and what kinda car are you looking at? Have any particular brands/models jumped out at you?

I always advise just using donedeal. Take a while mooching through the different options within your budget and go from there. If you ring a dealer and say "I'm interested in your €5,000 Clio, can i take it for a spin?", when you arrive they're not going to say 'that Clio is nice, but this €18,000 Kadjar is even nicer..'.

I've never had a car dealer offer me any car other than the one I specifically went to view. Even then, most just ask for my driver's license, and then hand me the keys. I've never really had an upsell or even a hard-sell on the car I was looking at (albeit I've mostly dealt with indy dealers, don't think I've ever bought from a franchised one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

If you don't ask, they won't tell.
    Have a list of questions prepared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

• Advertisement
Advertisement