Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought a car with 2yrs nct (NOT!)

Options
  • 19-06-2019 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello everyone,
    So last month I purchased a 2012 Nissan Qashqai from a small dealer in Waterford (I won't mention the name of dealer just yet)
    Anyway when I first looked at the car I thought it was nice and it was a very reasonable price, it was just after being imported from the UK so it was still on uk plates, the dealer had said to me that he would get the car registered and nct'd and tax it for 3 months as part of the deal,
    So he rings me once he has the car registered and asks would i mind putting it through the nct, assuring me it would pass first time, He also told me the car has been taxed but Istill don't have a logbook or a tax disc for the thing, the car was brought for nct this morning.... didn't pass at all (front bushins, handbrake cable and 3 new tyres needed)

I have a receipt from the dealer which clearly states the car comes with 2 years nct, 3 months tax and 3 months warranty,
    I'm wondering what can I do about this, I know the dealer will have to fix these problems but what if I wanted to return this car and get my money back, is that an option?
    Thank you for your time and advice !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

You probably should have noticed these issues before handing over cash. He will fix the items that's needed for NCT but you won't get your money back

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sounds a bit odd that the dealer would tax it for you, being a uk import.

What happened doesn’t entitle you to a refund. The dealer will obviously have to honour their end of the deal and get the car into shape for the rest. None of the items it failed on point to a faulty car, they’re all wear items. It does suggest that the car hasn’t been serviced or inspected before delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Steamed Clams

Briar89 wrote: »
    I'm wondering what can I do about this, I know the dealer will have to fix these problems but what if I wanted to return this car and get my money back, is that an option?

It's a bit of a contrary situation, a dealer asking you to NCT the car on his behalf with him fixing whatever crops up, but...I have no idea why you would expect to be entitled to a refund? On a 7 year old car that needs a small amount of wear and tear items replaced at no cost to you?

If he had replaced these parts before you bought the car (which he should have done, and NCT'd it himself, I believe by the way!), would you not have bought it or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Quite a common scenario. Bring the car back to him and let him do the repairs and book your retest (which i'm presuming he will also pay for) and hope that it passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭corks finest

dar_cool wrote: »
    You probably should have noticed these issues before handing over cash. He will fix the items that's needed for NCT but you won't get your money back
    Briar89 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    So last month I purchased a 2012 Nissan Qashqai from a small dealer in Waterford (I won't mention the name of dealer just yet)
    Anyway when I first looked at the car I thought it was nice and it was a very reasonable price, it was just after being imported from the UK so it was still on uk plates, the dealer had said to me that he would get the car registered and nct'd and tax it for 3 months as part of the deal,
    So he rings me once he has the car registered and asks would i mind putting it through the nct, assuring me it would pass first time, He also told me the car has been taxed but Istill don't have a logbook or a tax disc for the thing, the car was brought for nct this morning.... didn't pass at all (front bushins, handbrake cable and 3 new tyres needed)

I have a receipt from the dealer which clearly states the car comes with 2 years nct, 3 months tax and 3 months warranty,
    I'd name and shame if I didn't get any joy,and threaten to contact local radio etc,and if needs be and he continues to piss me about I'd get a poster made up and stand outside his business ( FYI I'm not a looper but will always stand up for my rights)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Briar89

Hi everyone,
    Thank you for all you're responses,
    It has now been 5 weeks since I bought the car, I spoke with the dealer last week and he said he would get a mechanic to fix the issues for the NCT, I didn't hear anything all week from him, I rang his number this morning to find out he had gone on holidays and nothing has been said or done about my car, So 5 weeks in and still I have not received a log book, tax or nct for my car.
    My brother had a great idea to ring the Department of transport and see who's name the car is in and big SURPRISE it's still in the dealers name !!!!
    I should also mention that since the dealer himself is on holidays I have been dealing with his daughter who to be fair didn't know anything about this and I feel sorry for her because she has to listen to a very angry man talking about a car, Anyway she now knows the entire story considering I was on the phone to her for nearly an hour and she agrees that this is not fair. I have been as nice as I can be with the dealer but since I have found out the car is not in my name I have almost lost it (My hands are a little bit shakey lol)
    So I get a phone call back saying they want to tax the car today (which they could have done weeks ago!) But I say no, I have had enough of this, The ad clearly stated that the car came with 2 years NCT, 3 months tax and 3 months warranty which I have none of that, Honestly if I get stopped by a member of the gardai there is a chance they will take the car off me as there is only insurance on it
    So I tell the dealers daughter this (Can't remember her name) and tell her that I am bringing the car back on Wednesday afternoon and I want my money back, I am fully expecting a phone call from the dealer himself and to be honest I cannot wait to hear from him as I know I am in the right about this. I mean 5 weeks later and the car is still in his name and I don't really think he gives a f**k.
    I will update you all either when the dealer rings me back or when I drop the car back to him.....
    I should also mention I bought this car with the assumption it already had been taxed and NCT'd and I bought from a dealer to have peace of mind.... why else would you buy from a dealer??

Oh one last thing, considering the car has no nct could the insurance company void my insurance if anything was to happen to the car??
    I really hate the way this has gone as I just wanted to buy a car that I could just hop in and drive without the hassle, also I really hope this post makes sense, thanks for reading

• Registered Users Posts: 81,445 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Most insurers will insist on valid NCT. Something not adding up here though, if the car was on UK plates normal practice on any dealer selling is they will register the car on Irish plates in your name at time of VRT, otherwise they add an owner to it. There may have been some wires crossed and vehicle may be in your name but needs 3/6/9/12 months motor tax paid for the VLC to be issued, this is the norm when an individual VRT's a car. I presume the car is now on Irish plates?

How they did not know that 3 tyres were fails is beyond me, no mechanical knowledge is needed for a basic check like that.

Using a car without valid NCT is 3 penalty points...
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Penalty%20Points%20Chart1.pdf

For your own safety and again penalty points I wouldn't drive around with defective tyres...
    http://www.rsa.ie/PageFiles/5206/Tyre_Safety_Information_Guide_.PDF

Advertisement