Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fine Gael ministers, who drives what?

• 18-06-2019 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭

I think Leo passed me in a BMW 740d on his way to Shannon to meet Trump.
    Any idea who drives what in government?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s only the Taoiseach, Tainaiste and minister for justice that have official cars. Ministers are on mileage and have drivers paid for.

Andrew Doyle has a 2010 Honda Accord 2.2 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I think Leo passed me in a BMW 740d on his way to Shannon to meet Trump.
    Any idea who drives what in government?

Leo drive??? You mad???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

I think Paschal Donohoe has a Scenic 2016 maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Leo drive??? You mad???

Do you think he should or shouldn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Do you think he should or shouldn't?

He is provided with a Garda driver and nice plush motor to sit in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,243 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

As are all taoisigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You think the prime minister should drive himself about the place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Leo has a Va Rad Car....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is that a Punto? Might explain a lot.

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Nah that's a Cnut O.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I think it appears, from a distance, to be some sort of pop at the diesel car ban announcement...

But sure the leader of our country should drive himself about in a Nissan Leaf.. wouldn't look at all out of place, but wait... He might not have made it to Shannon on a single charge... Meh.. keep Trump waiting while he charges up at Obama Plaza....

Same lowest common denominator argument as anything.. Them v. Us. It's like the Garda car debate.. when they've got crap Hyundai's, then 'why don't they have something decent.. disgrace'. When they get Audi Q5's 'How much money is spent on them.. disgrace'

Move on

It's curiosity, leo mentioned 8 of his people drive diesels the other day. Why shouldn't we know if it's a case of do as I say not do as I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

Truckermal wrote: »
    Nah that's a Cnut O.....

What experience with the individual ,do you have ,to make this snide remark?

It's curiosity, leo mentioned 8 of his people drive diesels the other day. Why shouldn't we know if it's a case of do as I say not do as I do.

Did he say that nobody in Ireland should drive a diesel? No. Sale of new diesels to end in 11 years according to the plan.. plan may change. It just sounds a bit like wanting to be shocked by something. Yes our Taoiseach has a large diesel BMW as his government car. What would you suggest..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

More to the point, who insures them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Denis Naughten when a minister was driving/been driven in a Prius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Leo drive??? You mad???
    Yes....he drives me mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Couldn't tell ya about any of the Fine Gael td's but I know Ming Flanagan drives a mk4 sdi golf. A true Rossie spec wagon :D

Couldn't tell ya about any of the Fine Gael td's but I know Ming Flanagan drives a mk4 sdi golf. A true Rossie spec wagon :D

I think he runs it on turf.. unless he's been banned of course

• Advertisement

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Did he say that nobody in Ireland should drive a diesel? No. Sale of new diesels to end in 11 years according to the plan.. plan may change. It just sounds a bit like wanting to be shocked by something. Yes our Taoiseach has a large diesel BMW as his government car. What would you suggest..

You think I'm trying to be outraged. I'm just curious as to what they drive.

If diesel is so bad why isn't he driving a large petrol BMW. I'm surprised none of opposition mentioned it. I wouldn't begrudge him an Apina B7.
    We've a choice of 4 fuels over the next 15 years at least. Let's start by knocking the worst one off first.
    Were 24hrs into the plan and I'd say we're 270 odd new EV sales off target already.
    He can't blame FF for what he's currently driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

morritty wrote: »

He has a triumph...bicycle

TrailerBob wrote: »

You think I'm trying to be outraged. I'm just curious as to what they drive.

If diesel is so bad why isn't he driving a large petrol BMW. I'm surprised none of opposition mentioned it. I wouldn't begrudge him an Apina B7.
    We've a choice of 4 fuels over the next 15 years at least. Let's start by knocking the worst one off first.
    Were 24hrs into the plan and I'd say we're 270 odd new EV sales off target already.
    He can't blame FF for what he's currently driving.

Fair enough be curious, but remember that state body procurement is a thing, and doesn't work necessarily in a logical way. That BMW would have been on a list of camparable vehicles, most likely from other European leaders.. and maybe they wanted the chape tax... I jest... Private vehicles of TDs is a different matter I suppose. Do we want them to lead by example, probably.. will it happen.. unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

This seat does look like its from a current model 7 series anyway

NINTCHDBPICT000451245120.jpg?strip=all&w=960

Is Michael D Higgins still floating around in that 06 S class or did he get an upgrade in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Skoda Superb here as minister for transport. Nice!

2017-01-14_iri_27711943_I1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

You think the prime minister should drive himself about the place?

Trol attempt crashed and burned...........

He has a triumph...bicycle

I have seen him on a push bike also

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I remember reading somewhere (could be completely made up) that when Ireland first got security cars for their VIPs they had to go back because most of the protection was for the back seats and Irish VIPs insisted on sitting in the front seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

But whatabout the homeless???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

morritty wrote: »

That's right. His ignorant pr1ck of a driver crossed the road from a parking space (Facing the same direction I was travelling) and made me jam hard on the brakes to avoid rear ending them. When we got to the next lights I let down the window to give the driver a good f*cking. I saw PD in the passenger seat, figured the driver was probably a cop, and thought "maybe not".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Michael D turned down E class mercedes in replacement for his 2006 S Class. I don't often agree with Michael D but I think the president should have s500 mercedes just to reflect his position.
    When you consider the amount of tax on the price of a new car, it's not a huge outlay either when it all balances out in the end.

sligojoek wrote: »
    That's right. His ignorant pr1ck of a driver crossed the road from a parking space (Facing the same direction I was travelling) and made me jam hard on the brakes to avoid rear ending them. When we got to the next lights I let down the window to give the driver a good f*cking. I saw PD in the passenger seat, figured the driver was probably a cop, and thought "maybe not".
    That would be the wife, shes a brutal driver.

mickdw wrote: »
    Michael D turned down E class mercedes in replacement for his 2006 S Class. I don't often agree with Michael D but I think the president should have s500 mercedes just to reflect his position.
    When you consider the amount of tax on the price of a new car, it's not a huge outlay either when it all balances out in the end.

That’s not really what happened though.

Advertisement