Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Pixel 3a and 3a XL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Nice price from VF.

If there was an easy way to get my hands on a Dual SIM version, I'd snap it right up :)

They're both dual SIM I thought?
    However one SIM needs to be an eSIM and afaik Comreg hasn't approved eSIMs in Ireland... yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

They often go down to €39 new, so maybe €30/€35 might be your best price to people who would know their stuff :)

Will see if I end up picking it up :) Would do for a present even!!

Honor View 20 (460 euro), Samsung A70 (390 euro) and Mi 9 (449 euro) are also different options to consider, with their own pros and cons. I'm intrigued to see what the fuss is about Pixel devices though!!

Pleasantly surprised with that!!

Are there any stores in Dublin that would have a demo model?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

biebiebie wrote: »
    They're both dual SIM I thought?
    However one SIM needs to be an eSIM and afaik Comreg hasn't approved eSIMs in Ireland... yet.

Like you say eSIM is useless in good auld Ireland :P

I'd need two physical SIMs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭micks_address

Like you say eSIM is useless in good auld Ireland :P

I'd need two physical SIMs :)

in the US can you use esim for US phone number/data and ireland sim in traditional sim slot? ill be there for summer months

in the US can you use esim for US phone number/data and ireland sim in traditional sim slot? ill be there for summer months

Thanks mick, it'll be handy for travel alright.
    But I'm not looking for dual SIM for that purpose, it'd be for personal and work numbers in the same handset :)

Like right now, I have a personal Three number and a Vodafone number I use for work :)

rizzee wrote: »
    Pleasantly surprised with that!!

Are there any stores in Dublin that would have a demo model?

not yet.

just watch youtube videos in any case.

demo models in shops are usually just dummy models in any case.

Yeah I've been checking out a few all day. No notification LED unfortunately. Will keep an eye on thread over the next few days anyway.

rizzee wrote: »
    Yeah I've been checking out a few all day. No notification LED unfortunately. Will keep an eye on thread over the next few days anyway.

An always on display has kind of taken the place of LEDs in most phones.
    Unfortunate really, as I really liked LEDs on phones.

The S10 has an app that uses the pixels around the camera cut out to notify.
    It's pretty cool, but not much use for other phones!

• Advertisement

An always on display has kind of taken the place of LEDs in most phones.
    Unfortunate really, as I really liked LEDs on phones.

The S10 has an app that uses the pixels around the camera cut out to notify.
    It's pretty cool, but not much use for other phones!

Another phone I'm looking at is the Honor View 20, has a nice discreet one beside the microphone on top! not a deal breaker by any means, I've had iPhones in the past :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

also deciding between an s9 and 3a. S9 can be got fairly cheap on bill pay (like Tesco were doing 249 for the phone on 30 an month for 18 months).

Camera (video in particular) is a priority for me above all else. I am coming from an S7 and it has been fantastic in terms of camera. i often run external shotgun mics on the phone too. One issue I have had with the s7 is external wireless mics are hit and miss as sometimes the phone does not seem to detect them.

I do like the idea of paying for the phone outright and being able to swap sim only deals as I am a commitment phobe.

Be interested to hear how people compare the video on the 3a to to the galaxy s9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Might be a bit soon but has anybody seen the 3a or XL on display anywhere in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

breeno wrote: »
    Might be a bit soon but has anybody seen the 3a or XL on display anywhere in Dublin?
    Not directly (I checked them out in CW up in Newry, they are really nice) but Argos are selling them though.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1182020.htm

advertsfox wrote: »
    Not directly (I checked them out in CW up in Newry, they are really nice) but Argos are selling them though.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1182020.htm

Should be getting my 3a tomorrow in the US.. using it as my US phone while there for the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

3a xl looks great value....pixel 3 takes astonishingly great photos for a phone, may not have the zoom capabilities of a p30 pro, but to me the difference in quality of photos taken is big, and night mode photos may be brighter on the p30 pro but they look far better and more natural, to me anyway, on pixel 3.
    only thing with pixel 3a is could i live with just 64gb storage....thats the only thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I've a 64GB 3XL and I regularly clear the crap with the Files app (photos/junk/memes/etc), so I've never even hit 32GB usage on it (using 26.13GB currently). That said, if I used MP3's it would probably be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

I've a 64GB 3XL and I regularly clear the crap with the Files app (photos/junk/memes/etc), so I've never even hit 32GB usage on it (using 26.13GB currently). That said, if I used MP3's it would probably be a different story.

yea...i have a ton of mp3 files and photos on mine....its 64gb with a 64gb card...and both about 50gb full. (samsung s8+ btw)

They're on Vodafones site now under the bill pay section. The 3a is free on the three plans and the 3aXL is free on them all except the €40 a month where it's €150.

Using mine on Google fi since yesterday. Pixel 3a. I have a 3xl as well. Have to say I'm liking the 3a. It's very light compared to the glass xl. Easier to hold if watching YouTube etc. Haven't had a chance to do major photo comparison but so far looks good. Experience is pretty snappy to. It's interesting I'm using esim with Google fi.. pretty convenient. The billing isn't bad either. It's 20 dollars a month then 10 dollars per gigabtye capped at 60 dollars.. they throttle data at after 14gb I think. They gave me 100 credit for buying 3a and I used a referral code to get 20 dollars more. Have a Google fabric case on the phone. I miss the wireless charging as have the Google stand but for basically 400 dollars I think the 3a is a very decent proposition. Consistently great pictures, fast enough user experience and good enough battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Never mind, resolved the virgin connection problem I was having by adding as new APN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Has anyone seen a display model of either in a Vodafone or other store anywhere in Dublin?

In two minds* as to whether to go for the 3a for handiness and being cheaper versus the 3a XL for screen real estate and the battery. Seeing them in the flesh would resolve my indecision fairly sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

corwill wrote: »
    Has anyone seen a display model of either in a Vodafone or other store anywhere in Dublin?

In two minds* as to whether to go for the 3a for handiness and being cheaper versus the 3a XL for screen real estate and the battery. Seeing them in the flesh would resolve my indecision fairly sharpish.

I'd also love to know this as I'd like to use one before pulling the trigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Only in the airport, but i found it to be fine.

I went for the 3A XL, happy enough with the size. Needed a phone straight away, having totalled my OnePlus 5, so I paid the extra tenner to get it from Argos rather than from Google.

Lovely device, can't point to single thing about it that I don't like. I haven't even had a chance to properly try out the camera yet. Silky smooth performance, hard to believe it's 'mid-range' SOC in there. The display is gorgeous, sound quality through bluetooth headphones and speakers very good. A couple of people I've spoken with have complimented call quality versus my old phone. Battery life is excellent, I'm on 6 hours 23 minutes screen on time since my last charge, with 32% remaining, and that's with a couple of hours of listening to podcasts with bluetooth buds today. Delighted with it.

I went for the 3A XL, happy enough with the size. Needed a phone straight away, having totalled my OnePlus 5, so I paid the extra tenner to get it from Argos rather than from Google.

Lovely device, can't point to single thing about it that I don't like. I haven't even had a chance to properly try out the camera yet. Silky smooth performance, hard to believe it's 'mid-range' SOC in there. The display is gorgeous, sound quality through bluetooth headphones and speakers very good. A couple of people I've spoken with have complimented call quality versus my old phone. Battery life is excellent, I'm on 6 hours 23 minutes screen on time since my last charge, with 32% remaining, and that's with a couple of hours of listening to podcasts with bluetooth buds today. Delighted with it.

Really does make a mockery of the idea of flagship specs

Lovely device, can't point to single thing about it that I don't like...

Okay, a couple of minor quibbles!

So far, I'm finding that USB C Power Delivery isn't as fast as either OnePlus' Dash/Warp Charge or Qualcomm Quick charge. Also, less potential spare chargers to choose from on Amazon that I can see.

I'd prefer old school back/home/ recent app buttons to the current implementation of gestures, but I understand that Q might be giving us that option, as well as new gestures modelled on what a couple of other manufacturers have been doing on their skins.

Only performance stutter I've noticed is on Hitman Sniper, which I imagine is down to the mid-range GPU. Still playable on 'Medium' quality, just not as pretty. Given the price, I think they could have stretched to a Snap 710 on at least the 3A XL.

But yeah, minor, minor stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

If you opt into Q beta the beta 4 is out and supports the 3a - you'll get a choice of navigation gestures. None are as good as the one plus gestures but otherwise it's running very well on my 3XL.

If you opt into Q beta the beta 4 is out and supports the 3a - you'll get a choice of navigation gestures. None are as good as the one plus gestures but otherwise it's running very well on my 3XL.

Was thinking of that, but I see reports of the latest beta causing issues, and coverage always insists it's not ready for daily driving.

I have the hang of Pie gestures for now, it's not really an issue, just a taste/preference thing, really. Was just pointing out such minor quibbles as I could think of in the interests of balance.

• Advertisement

I used Beta 3 on my Pixel 3XL with no issues and the gestures were a great addition, couldn't go back after using them. I've stuck Beta 4 on a Pixel 2 since yesterday but haven't seen any issues either.

Advertisement