Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ducks, ducks everywhere

• 19-06-2019 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭

My 3 Muscovey ducks went broody and now there are approximately 50 young Ducks, 3 weeks old running around.

While this type of duck is a fantastic quality meat bird it is too many for our needs.

Is it easy to sell them to a butcher or best to sell live on done deal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I never sold them to a butcher but when we had a few we used to sell them in agricultural shows.

Tullow, Tinahealy, poultry sections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Danzy wrote: »
    My 3 Muscovey ducks went broody and now there are approximately 50 young Ducks, 3 weeks old running around.

While this type of duck is a fantastic quality meat bird it is too many for our needs.

Also a demand for muscovies as broody ducks - and are good to hatch out any poultry eggs

Depending where you are maybe look for local monthly poultry sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

What part of the country are you in? I might know someone who would buy them for the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Buy a large freezer and let them grow into eating weigh - problem solved :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Where are ya, Danzy? Be interested in about a dozen? Not for freezer by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'm in Cork.

They would go another month before selling live an d 2 months before table ready.

Great bird to forage for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

I'm in Cork.

They would go another month before selling live an d 2 months before table ready.

Too far. :(

Too far. :(

They'll fly up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

They'll fly up.

no they can swim less damaging co2 emissions

grassroot1 wrote: »
    no they can swim less damaging co2 emissions

There was a muscovy duck landed in enniscorthy town years back. It was in the local rags reporting about this strange duck that landed. They were going on about this duck that was native to Brazil. I think it ended up in the Shannon.
    It took off in a storm with a good wind at it's back.
    I wouldn't have the foggiest where it came from though.. I believe it was further than 12 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

There was a muscovy duck landed in enniscorthy town years back. It was in the local rags reporting about this strange duck that landed. They were going on about this duck that was native to Brazil. I think it ended up in the Shannon.
    It took off in a storm with a good wind at it's back.
    I wouldn't have the foggiest where it came from though.. I believe it was further than 12 miles.

I've had Muscovies in the past - species wise they are not considered quite duck nor goose but something in between. Christ but the drakes can be ugly looking yokes. One of them would regularly take off and could fly over the old shed and hedge at the back of that. Clipped the wing feathers before it got further afield. Watching them their body language and movement differ from the normal domestic breeds of duck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I'm in Cork.

To far also. Put them on done deal when Reddy to go and you'll sell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭G-Man

And brave mousers too. Our Muscovies would fight the cats and dog back to get first shot at mice under the straw round bales in the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What are they like for eggs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What are they like for eggs?

Lay a large egg, bout 100 a year, if kept from sitting.

It's creamy and not strong like duck eggs.

Advertisement