Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unlimited electricity - €70 per month

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,709 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes all true. In my case though, I've barely plugged in my EV at home so far, maybe I spent €10 or so on electricity for my EV in the 8k km I've done :D

Over the next 12 months though, all my EV charging at home is free. But indeed, after this period I'll have to see what my best options are then. Free electricity paradise will only last for a year...

Summary: Just Energy is a great solution for anyone who will use or want to use a lot more electricity this year than they used last year.

Unkel, do you not mind wasting all that time sitting at DC chargers for the sake of a few Euro's worth of leccy ?

I think you should change your name to have "Mad" in it. :D

Not DC chargers, just my local FCP, which is around the corner from me and which I pass several times every day anyway. In a carpark that I park in several times a week anyway. It's my local supermarket, my local McDonalds, my local Starbucks, the local library, my brother in law has his shop there, my favourite take away. I have a lot of business there that usually takes 15-30 minutes. Perfect for a fast charge.

If I am there anyway (and nobody is charging), then why not plug in? And for the record when I am charging and someone else shows up, I always ask what their situation is and I always disconnect immediately or within a few minutes if they need the charge.

Obviously over the next 12 months this will have zero benefit for me unless I need to charge up quickly, so I doubt I'll charge there much...

I could care less about you sucking free juice, just wondering why you'd bother that's all. I've the Carlow DC 5 kms away, don't use it much, couldn't be bothered. Now if it were 100+ Kw and I could charge at that rate I might think different !

just wondering why you'd bother that's all

It's the same bother as plugging in at home. Parked there (or at home) anyway. Just stick the plug into the car (have tethered charger at home too, also just a few feet away)

So zero extra bother, and a free charge up. And I'm not in anyone's way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Airtricity are increasing their rates
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/sse-airtricity-to-raise-their-prices-807831.html

If you signup for this set price offer from JustEnergy it protects you from price increases mid-term as it is a contracted price for the 12 months.

Most other contracts that you get, it is a discount off the standard rate but that rate is subject to change as they see fit.

I wonder are all other providers going to follow on with price increases now as well?

Typical, taxpayer give for free to wind energy companies half a billion euro's a year and to increase every year and the thanks consumers get is paying higher bills.

Oh the corruption is a disgrace in this country !

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Aghhhh ! Was about to sign up and i'm getting a error on their website when i put in the details :( , going to try it through switcher.ie instead.

Can anyone confirm about the unlimited tariff what the ceiling is before i sign up? is it 10000KW max? as this is whats showing up on the switcher website as i sign am in the process of signing up, just wary of the 'For 4801 to 5200 kWhs' bit.........
    Supplier:

Just Energy

Tariff:

Unlimited Electricity (Direct Debit, Online billing)

Annual Bill:

€1,155.93 (expected)

Savings:

-€1.04 / -0% (expected)

Payment:

Direct debit

Electricity Charges:

Daily Rates:

For 4801 to 5200 kWhs
    256.1753424657534 cent (Ex VAT)
    290.76 cent (Inc VAT)

EDIT : Just soptted this on switcher website :( :And, with unlimited tariffs, they’ll pay the same amount each billing cycle, once they stay inside their agreed consumption band.

Yes, it's 10MWh max per year.

I'm so frivolous these days. Plugged in my car at home yesterday :eek: With some of the charging done at peak rates :eek: :D

€730 for the year and I can drive my car for 54k km for free :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Moreilly wrote: »
    Aghhhh ! Was about to sign up and i'm getting a error on their website when i put in the details :( , going to try it through switcher.ie instead.

Can anyone confirm about the unlimited tariff what the ceiling is before i sign up? is it 10000KW max? as this is whats showing up on the switcher website as i sign am in the process of signing up, just wary of the 'For 4801 to 5200 kWhs' bit.........
    Supplier:

Just Energy

Tariff:

Unlimited Electricity (Direct Debit, Online billing)

Annual Bill:

€1,155.93 (expected)

Savings:

-€1.04 / -0% (expected)

Payment:

Direct debit

Electricity Charges:

Daily Rates:

For 4801 to 5200 kWhs
    256.1753424657534 cent (Ex VAT)
    290.76 cent (Inc VAT)

EDIT : Just soptted this on switcher website :(    :And, with unlimited tariffs, they’ll pay the same amount each billing cycle, once they stay inside their agreed consumption band.

Yes - the info on Switcher and Bonkers does seem to contradict the idea of "unlimited" . According to both of those sites it seems you have to stay within the usage of  band you sign up for . This is not what the OP was told by email by Just Energy.  I just think something is not right with this . Bonkers and Switcher would not just make that up surely ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »

If I am there anyway (and nobody is charging), then why not plug in? And for the record when I am charging and someone else shows up, I always ask what their situation is and I always disconnect immediately or within a few minutes if they need the charge.

Obviously over the next 12 months this will have zero benefit for me unless I need to charge up quickly, so I doubt I'll charge there much...
    I have no problem with this.
    The problem is not locals using the FCP with consideration (eg, letting in a non local who needs the charge, not charging to 100% etc.

The problem is locals abusing the fcp

FWIW I do the same as you, Unkel, at my local FCPs (navan/ashbourne/lidl drogheda)

And because of this thread I now have free home charging 24/7 never a queue either :D

(for the next 12 months. After that the party is over and I'll have to re-think my strategy)

I'll miss the chats with other EV owners though.

And because of this thread I now have free home charging 24/7 never a queue either :D

(for the next 12 months. After that the party is over and I'll have to re-think my strategy)

I'll miss the chats with other EV owners though.

Did they provide any additional T&C's after you signed up around staying within usage bands or fair usage policy or is it still just the 10000kWh limit only?

No, just the 10k kWh limit. I doubt I'll reach even half that.

KCross wrote: »
    Yes, thats in my post... 10000kWh... once you hit that they will be on the blower!

Any link to that, KCross?

I've just gone over the T&C (attached) and can't find it

Linky

They confirmed it in my email exchange with them:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104698454&postcount=89

Also, when you fill out the switching form you have to enter last years consumption figure and they won't quote you if you enter a figure of 10400 or more.

It also was in the small print somewhere on their website but I can't see it now.

From your email exchange:

"We offer the unlimted tariff with a 10,000kwh capacity means your annual consumption must be under 10,000kwh for the year. Should you use more than the 10,000kwh in the year you will be switched onto the Variable Tariff"

The way I interpret that is if you use over 10,000kWh (likely to happen the last month or two if you do), for every unit over that you will pay the variable rate? Hardly a penalty if so.

We offer the unlimted tariff with a 10,000kwh capacity

10,000 Kwh unlimited, unreal they can advertise this as being unlimited.

Well, it is 3 times as much as the average household uses :)

• Advertisement

But it's not Unlimited. ;)

Pretty much everything "unlimited" has some sort of fair use policy. Your broadband, your mobile phone, now electricity.

The issue here is that the Just Energy fair use limit doesn't seem to be published. I would prefer if I had it in black and white somewhere.

Advertising a limited service as unlimited is rather ridiculous.

The issue here is that the Just Energy fair use limit doesn't seem to be published. I would prefer if I had it in black and white somewhere.

I am 100% certain it was on their website. They seem to have removed it.

In any case, if its not in the T&C's they sent you when you signed up thats all the better... they can't enforce something that isn't in the T&C's.

Why are you even worried? You are so far off 10,000kWh's you are very unlikely to hit that figure.

My new hobby uses quite a bit of electricity :D

My new hobby uses quite a bit of electricity :D

Are you spending lots of time in the attic! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

He's set up 5 charging stations for use by local shoppers and is levying a fee in SuperValu tokens :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

liamog wrote: »
    He's set up 5 charging stations for use by local shoppers and is levying a fee in SuperValu tokens :D

Or mining bitcoins in the attic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

How do I find out my annual consumption from electric Ireland in order to apply for this unlimited offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

How do I find out my annual consumption from electric Ireland in order to apply for this unlimited offer?

Its on your bill

Yeah just add up your last 12 months number of units (kWh) on your bills and make sure you have an actual reading at the beginning and end of the 12 months (not an estimate). The average home in Ireland uses 3,500kWh (not the 5,300 on sites like bonkers.ie - electricity use has come down a lot now everyone stopped using the incandescent light bulbs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

unkel wrote:
    Yeah just add up your last 12 months number of units (kWh) on your bills and make sure you have an actual reading at the beginning and end of the 12 months (not an estimate). The average home in Ireland uses 3,500kWh (not the 5,300 on sites like bonkers.ie - electricity use has come down a lot now everyone stopped using the incandescent light bulbs)

Macker wrote:
    Its on your bill

Thanks guys will check it out our bill averages about 180 every 2 months

just did the dual fuel calculation ,Id make big savings even before the car is added ,no more following the women in the house around turning off heaters. getting night meter installed next week and I think Ill switch then.

Got another "bill" today for the last 2 months. €372. It's for information purposes only, as I'm on a fixed price contract. I'm paying €60 per month for this, so the €372 bill sets me back €120 :D

Got another "bill" today for the last 2 months. €372. It's for information purposes only, as I'm on a fixed price contract. I'm paying €60 per month for this, so the €372 bill sets me back €120 :D

I would say they are frantically drafting their "EV exclusion clause" about now!

That would be a hefty bill. Your new hobby is very energy intensive.

How much of that 372 would the car have accounted for? I only charge at night rate so far and my last bill was 28euro at night rate, some of that domestic use but the car is only on the bill for about 25 days, switched over to Just energy for 125 a month gas and electricity but I think I'll still stick to night charging to keep the rate when my contract is up

That was quick... 2 years and they've decided to pull the plug.

That unlimited tariff clearly was too good to be true and they couldnt make money on it.

I broke them :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

KCross wrote: »
    That was quick... 2 years and they've decided to pull the plug.

That unlimited tariff clearly was too good to be true and they couldnt make money on it.

LOL, I was on that tariff up until Saturday, tried phoning them twice to see what their best deal would be but they disconnected me twice so I ended up going elsewhere yesterday, used 17,000 units in the year

And the craziest thing is that I was one of their first customers in Ireland. And they had fierce payment system problems. They failed to collect my DD a few times at the start. And I changed bank during the year. I gave them an update with my new account details, which they acknowledged. But then they kept trying to take payment from my old account several times before they copped on. I guess they won't come looking for the missing money they messed up not taking from me

Summary: I ended up paying just €355 of the €720 I had agreed to pay in 12 monthly terms. I got a lot of MWh for that €355 :D

• Advertisement

Explains why they werent profitable.

Exec's in America probably scratching their heads trying to figure out why it looked good on paper but somehow didnt equate to profit!

It's a very strange case. It's a Canadian multinational with several million customers. Maybe it was their first entry into the EU market and they didn't have any expertise with our payment systems. And they failed to hire staff who did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I'm going to guess that they didn't get the customers. If you went and asked people you know about JUST Energy how many have ever heard of them?

They were the best provider ever though :D

ewj1978 wrote: »
    I'm going to guess that they didn't get the customers. If you went and asked people you know about JUST Energy how many have ever heard of them?

10,000 customers I think. Small, but they're here <2yrs.

I get free work charging , when the day comes I have 60+ Kwh I want a way to plug into the house and dump some of this free energy.......

As it stands, the best option is for V2G / V2H is to get a CHAdeMO car. So back into a Leaf with ya :p

As it stands, the best option is for V2G / V2H is to get a CHAdeMO car. So back into a Leaf with ya :p

lol Probably wouldn't go back to the leaf in a hurry, RWD is a lot more fun ! :D

V2H will be 2025 according to this which is unbelievable.

https://insideevs.com/news/342354/charin-ccs-combo-standard-to-offer-v2g-by-2025/

Very depressing. Why is everything moving so slowly?

It does say till 2025 and the step before it says till 2020, so could be any time between 2020 and 2025 I guess

• Advertisement

Yeah seems mad for something like that to take so long, probably testing, certification , certification for each power company that so they will accept it, a V2H won't have those issues but still needs testing for safety etc but would all that take up to 5 years ?

Advertisement