Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf wont stand after a hard pull.

Options
  • 18-06-2019 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Lads have a huge calf born yesterday morning after a big pull with a Jack, he has a good bit of strength in his front legs but seems to have very little in hind legs. He started moving around this morning id say dragging his hind legs behind him, just wondering has anyone any suggestions to help him use his back legs, could he have been hurted when jacked or will strength come into them in next couple days what do people think. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

If you've a square bale or two to sling him over it'd help him. Would get moving his legs without having to bear his own weight. Bit of massage into them to get the blood flowing would be no harm either. After that patience & time, he'll come right, but is probably a bit sore too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Do a bit of DIY physio on him. Catch his back leg and gently extend it and push it back towards his hip joint. Do the same on the other side. Patience and TLC goes a long way.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Be carefull, no strength in the hind legs could be a sign of spinal injury, rub your finger over the spine feeling for any obvious damage, swelling etc, might be no harm to get a vet to check out for damage.

The reason i say this is i had a hard pull with a calf last October, she was a couple of weeks before a 3rd vet diagnosed the damage in the spine, i was lifting her 3 or 4 times a day over a bale of straw which in hindsight did'nt do her spine any good, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

Be carefull, no strength in the hind legs could be a sign of spinal injury, rub your finger over the spine feeling for any obvious damage, swelling etc, might be no harm to get a vet to check out for damage.

The reason i say this is i had a hard pull with a calf last October, she was a couple of weeks before a 3rd vet diagnosed the damage in the spine, i was lifting her 3 or 4 times a day over a bale of straw which in hindsight did'nt do her spine any good, good luck.

Did your calf come right in the end?, it just that im nervous of some damage, vet checked his ribs yesterday morning and said they seem ok but didn't look too hard along spine, at the time calf was exhausted after pull and we were just happy to keep him alive. I have put him over a old chair to allow his legs drop and hopefully start working but no change so far but its fairly early days yet, real pain milking out cow and bottle feeding.

Long story short my calf did'nt make it, as well as having a damaged spine she had a dislocated front shoulder, 2 vets actually missed both before a 3rd vet diagnosed both the spine and front shoulder, milking the cow twice daily is no fun but i would give the calf every chance, there may be no damage at all and the calf is just a bit weak and lazy and he may stand after a couple of days you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Aravo

A calving jack is tough on both calf and cow. Thankfully the jack was only needed once this year. I always move the ropes from the shin to above the knee if I feel that the pull is going to be tough. I would lift him 2-3 times a day, no doubt the calf is sore.

Calf making better effort to stand this evening, hind legs may be stronger than I taught, didn't drink great this evening though, hasn't the greatest sucking action, maybe not that hungry, might leave him out in small paddock tomorrow, might perk him up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Has he pooped? Always found if they lose the appetite a bit they mightn't have passed all the meconium. Hope he comes ok for you anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Irish Beef wrote: »
    Calf making better effort to stand this evening, hind legs may be stronger than I taught, didn't drink great this evening though, hasn't the greatest sucking action, maybe not that hungry, might leave him out in small paddock tomorrow, might perk him up a bit.

I’d be getting some electrolytes into him to keep hydrated and keep blood pressure up.

No real problem today with drinking, his appetite is back and drinking really well, he's fighting hard to stand and has progressed a lot, had vet look at him today, reckons could be nerve damage down his back left, rates him 50/50 to stand, calf is getting stronger and in couple day could stand on three legs, im lifting him twice a day a supporting him over a chair we'll have to see how much he progresses in next couple days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Irish Beef wrote: »
    No real problem today with drinking, his appetite is back and drinking really well, he's fighting hard to stand and has progressed a lot, had vet look at him today, reckons could be nerve damage down his back left, rates him 50/50 to stand, calf is getting stronger and in couple day could stand on three legs, im lifting him twice a day a supporting him over a chair we'll have to see how much he progresses in next couple days.

Hard work but your making progress which is encouraging.

How your calf doing now?

Advertisement